Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Semi-beginner with some questions...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Semi-beginner with some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 02:17 AM
drivie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi-beginner with some questions...

Hello All,

Nice forums!

I want to get into electrics and am wondering where to start. To give some background, I flew glow planes a long time ago and probably don't remember much but I had an Eagle 2 with ailerons.

I already have an inexpensive 4-channel Futaba radiio system but realize that I'll probably need a new receiver and servos for a small park flyer.

Here's what I'm wondering. Should I start with something like a Slow Stick or Tiger Moth or should I get something with ailerons?

Also, what should I get as far as equipment (ie. receiver, servos, charger, battery packs)? I want to be sure that whatever I get can be used when I'm ready to upgrade without having to buy all new stuff.

Suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated!

Drivie
Old 03-30-2003, 04:04 AM
latch66

How long has it been since you've flown?

Not knowing that, I'd recommend the Slow Stick.

It's really a great flying airplane for getting use to the sticks again. And it has enough power that weight is not so critical. It can handle some wind. You can even do aerial photography with it when you move on to other things.

The suggested flight pack from GWS will work with the Slow Stick. I'm not a big fan of their receivers, but that is my opinion.

If you want to buy seperate components that you can use in other planes here are my suggestions:

Receiver: Either FMA, Berg, or Hitec Electron, Super Slim or 555

ESC: Castle Creations Pixie 20

Servos: GWS Naro or Pico, Hitec HS55 or HS81. The Naro's and the HS81's will allow you to move to Speed 400 motors and higher.

Charger: The GWS charger is getting some good press and it's about $50

Battery Pack: 7 cell 600AE's Nicd, or 8 cell KAN950's Nimh

Just my 2 cents. I hope this helps. And welcome back to the hobby!
Old 03-30-2003, 04:25 AM
Tippie

You mentioned you flew glow "a long time ago". Is you radio one that you used "a long time ago?" If so, you may no longer have a radio frequency that can be used for aircraft. It may be a wide band AM transmitter that is no longer legal. If your radio is more than 10 years old you had better have someone take a look at it to make sure it meets current standards. If not, consider investing in a new radio system. Hitec and Futaba have some 4 channel radios in the $125 to $150 range with small servo's (usually 2) and receiver.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:37 AM
drivie

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. That seems like very good info. It's been probably close to 10 years since I flew last so I guess I should probably consider myself a noob again...hehe!

My radio is a Futaba FM Attack 4 I believe. It's at a friend's house right now so I'll have to pick it up and confirm that. I'm pretty sure I purchased the radio after the frequency change-over that occurred as I remember that being an issue when I purchased it unless that has happened again in the years since.

I'm really interested in purchasing components that will move up as I move up in experience. I hate buying cheap and having to buy again so while expense is a little bit of a concern, it's not enough to keep me from getting the good stuff to begin with.

On the subject of planes, any opinions on the GWS E-starter? That one looks decent and has ailerons as well.

One last question for you guys. Do you buy all your stuff at the LHS or online? If online, where do you purchase from?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Drivie
Old 03-31-2003, 03:12 AM
latch66

Originally posted by drivie
Guys,
On the subject of planes, any opinions on the GWS E-starter? That one looks decent and has ailerons as well.

One last question for you guys. Do you buy all your stuff at the LHS or online? If online, where do you purchase from?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Drivie
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the GWS E-starter. If it is like most GWS airplanes, it will fly well.

I buy my stuff both at a LHS and online.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:19 AM
Birdofprey

Drivie,
I am in AZ (mesa) and would be willing to help you get back in the hobby. I have a bunch of different aircraft that I would be happy to help you fly to get the feel back. I have a very flexable schedule If we were to get together to fly, you would be able to make a better choice on what will be best for you.

Justin

[email protected]

480-593-2458
Old 03-31-2003, 06:22 AM
drivie

Wow Justin!

Thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on that. I'm in Scottsdale but I was planning to go down the Mesa sometime Wednesday to pickup my radio gear from a friend who has all of my RC stuff. I usually have a pretty flexible schedule too as I'm self-employed but some weeks can be ruthless nonetheless. I'll contact you off the forums for more details.

Thanks again!

Drivie
Old 04-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

No, he does NOT need to buy a new radio! All Futaba FM transmitters are narrow band, and legal, no matter when they were made. Please refer to the Futaba FAQ at http://www.futaba-rc.com

The new frequency regulations went into effect in 1991, TWELVE years ago, not ten. Most manufacturers were building narrow band radios as early as 1988. You'd have to have a pretty old radio for it to be illegal these days.

In fact, if Drivie chooses the Slow Stick, he doesn't have to buy any new radio equipment if he doesn't want to. The Slow Stick can be outfitted with a standard receiver and servos. It has plenty of wing area and power to handle a couple of ounces of extra weight, and still fly well. All that Drivie has to buy is a 6 or 7 cell battery for the Slow Stick, an ESC, and a charger. The hobby shop that sells you the Slow Stick should easily be able to get you the GWS 6-cell, 400mAh battery and GWS ICS100 electronic speed control (ESC).
Old 04-02-2003, 10:21 PM
drivie

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went and picked up my radio and it happens to be a Futaba Conquest 4, not an Attack. The battery pack wouldn't hold a charge so I had to spring for a new one.

I also purchased a Slow Stick but none of the other required components. I think I'm going to take my time and build the SS up the way I want it then go shopping for the parts I need to complete the project.

At this point, I'm thinking of getting a Berg4 DSP Rx, Castle Creations Pixie 20, and either GWS Naro or Hitech HS-55 servos. I really can't decide what to do about the batteries and charger. Many people recommend LiPos but I would need a more expensive charger as well. I'm also thinking about NiCad or NiMH as well.

I ordered a cable to interface my TX with my PC in order to train a bit using FMS. I found a SS model to use. I'm trying to find other GWS models for FMS. If anyone knows where to get them, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Drivie
Old 04-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Derek_TX

Lipos are great, but not too needed on the 500 sq inch Slowstick. You can strap a car battery under it and fly.... well, almost. It can fly happily at 20 Oz weight, might even do ok at 26-28 oz. Ideal weight outdoors is 12-16 oz. Less is great, but you cant deal with too much wind.

Number one suggestion:
Shove a lightly sanded 3/8 sq balsa stick down the aluminum tube for strength. Not much weight, a ton stronger. The stick is prone to bend the fust at the wing leading edge.

Use clear packing tape doublers on the stabilizer and fin for strength.

Have some light foam replacement wheels ready on the first day to replace the broken originals. Unless you use a very light battery, the wheels are too light duty, actually just too brittle. Polystyrene.

The plane is a blast!
Old 04-03-2003, 12:20 AM
drivie

Thanks for the suggestions Derek.

The reason I was thinking about the Lithiums was for moving to the next plane or two. I like to purchase a little more than I need for growth down the road but I still might just go NiMH in the end.

So you're saying to take a 3/8sq piece of balsa and run in the entire length inside of the aluminum square piece?

Also, I'm unclear about what a packing tape doubler is? Could you clarify that?

I look forward to flying this thing really soon.

Thanks!

Drivie
Old 04-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Derek_TX

The thing with the Lipo's is matching them to a motor. 2 1020 cells at 7.4 v will put about 4 amps out, half of what the stock motor will draw. So you then need to go to a 2 series cells in parallel (2s2p). You will end up with 7.4v and a whopping 2000+ mAh, and the ability to pump the desired 7-8 amps. Your flight time will be well over 30 minutes, but you cant do like the Nicads and recharge in 15 min. So you make more $40 packs if you wish more time. the one pack may be plenty. The weight will be about 3 oz, which is stunning for the capacity! Lipos are the way to go, if the $ can be spent.

As for the tube, yes, shove it the whole length. It gives the tube nowhere to go in compression, relatively. High speed auger flights will do it in, but the little wind driven cartwheel or stall-boink will not screw it up. Stock, it can take quite a bit of abuse, but it WILL slowly bend there eventually. Very easy mod, sand it enough to pass with mild friction, not too much that you cant get it passed through. No glue, just friction.

By packing tape doublers I meant applying tape to reinforce where they stab and fin attach to the fuselage. You normally just stick the foam to the metal with double sided tape, then use the white long square thing that functions like a washer for the 2 screws used to attach the foam. When this is done, the weak point then becomes the line where the doubler & fuselage end, the point where the fin is all foam beyond the sandwich made by the plastic piece. If you add tape to both sides of the foam itself, you gain str right where it was the weakest.

Another thing to do is use epoxy on the fiberglass leading edge rods, not just tape alone. The tape is good because it spreads the load out over more area, instead of making the epoxy-foam edge the weak point.

Move the control horn in on the rudder and elevator to increase the throw. Really wild throw is fun on the stick, really tight loops are possible, like 4 foot.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:40 AM
drivie

Thanks for the clarification Derek.

I'll probably understand your suggestions better once I start building the plane. If I have any further questions at that point, I'll post them here.

Thanks again!

Drivie
Old 04-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Derek_TX

Oh, and for future service on servos? The HS 55 or HS 50, GWS Naro, or Pico are all excellent. I think the HS 55 are fine and use them most. The weight difference is really minor and if you really want to go lighter, you enter the real micro arena with super micro stuff, al la Sky Hooks and Rigging. It is a totally different realm and will require retooling all the gear from the reciever down.

As for receiver, the newer dual conversion FM micros are great. Like the Electron, even the Hitec 555, and some from FMA. The GWS and Hitec feather single conversion are fine for smaller, slower planes - 1000 feet is as good as a mile at that scale. If the plane can eat up some sky, get dual conversion FM.

Also, consider getting a reduced length antenna, unless you like to fly with the buzzards and speck it out. You can simply coil the wire without overlaps around a balsa or plastic card (insulating, non-metallic is all) and leave a 10-18" tail or pay $10 for someone to do the same thing neatly (buy one already made). Be sure to range check if you do these changes.

Moving gear from airplane to airplane doesnt seem as common as it it was with the gassers. With a receiver, 2-3 servos and ESC around $100-$120, I try to leave them in the planes I fly most often.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:23 AM
Derek_TX

Here is a quick drawing:

Very simple to do, very hard to describe!
Old 04-03-2003, 01:27 AM
drivie

Cool Derek. Thanks for taking the time out to make that nice drawing. Turned out well. I'm sure I can figure it out now ...hehe!

Thanks again for all your help.

Drivie
Old 04-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Derek_TX

If you build, look at eh Mountain Model's Switchback Sport with retracts for plane number two, since you know how to fly and are knocking off the rust. Add a brushless to the GWS gearbox ans let er rip. You will like it

If you don't build, Northeast Sailplanes has ARF's that are in the same league. Accord II, Phat Larry, etc.,.