RCU Forums - View Single Post - Semi-beginner with some questions...
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Derek_TX
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi-beginner with some questions...

Oh, and for future service on servos? The HS 55 or HS 50, GWS Naro, or Pico are all excellent. I think the HS 55 are fine and use them most. The weight difference is really minor and if you really want to go lighter, you enter the real micro arena with super micro stuff, al la Sky Hooks and Rigging. It is a totally different realm and will require retooling all the gear from the reciever down.

As for receiver, the newer dual conversion FM micros are great. Like the Electron, even the Hitec 555, and some from FMA. The GWS and Hitec feather single conversion are fine for smaller, slower planes - 1000 feet is as good as a mile at that scale. If the plane can eat up some sky, get dual conversion FM.

Also, consider getting a reduced length antenna, unless you like to fly with the buzzards and speck it out. You can simply coil the wire without overlaps around a balsa or plastic card (insulating, non-metallic is all) and leave a 10-18" tail or pay $10 for someone to do the same thing neatly (buy one already made). Be sure to range check if you do these changes.

Moving gear from airplane to airplane doesnt seem as common as it it was with the gassers. With a receiver, 2-3 servos and ESC around $100-$120, I try to leave them in the planes I fly most often.