Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Marauder, my balancer is from top flight. I use it for my big heli, which I have yet to fly and on all my planes. I can't use it for my MCX. I don't know if I explained it well but I'll try again. The GWS slow flyer props flex forward a lot in flight so balancing is only semi helpful. If you go to a GWS hd prop Or an APC or better prop then balancing is helpful. On a Slow Stick, even my SSX, the value is diminished by the size of the wing. But if you are flying just about anything else you'll see the benefits immediately. I balanced prop will also lengthen the life of your motor. Mine cost $25, but I think it has saved me on several maidens. And taken an unknown out of the equation. Here's mine, the price has gone down. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHY61&P=ML

Tim
I bought the DuBro and everything you have said I am experiencing. When I get home I will try some different ideas. The major one in my head is to find a spray paint to spray the light blade and bring the weight up to the other. Anyway I don't get home till Wed night and then I have to get ready to go to Cocoa beach, FL next week and then I should be home till January.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 AM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: kcmoo97

I don't know about any of you,but I think most if not all of us R C'ers (me too)are lucky to live in times of micro El.Dosn't any body just fly any more...? Ok mods are fun. But just go out and fly and try to think of how it was when we only had rudder only. Try it on your ss some time.Just put it up,put your moter at 1/2 or so and fly with just your rudder.Want to land? Kill your moter and just use your rudder! It will make you a better pilot. Good luck!!
Different strokes for different folks. I personally do not find rudder only entertaining but, this is America and we have choices.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

just a idea my lhs gave me for balinceing props you can use clear coat in many layer to balince out the prop
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: DRAGONFIRE81M

just a idea my lhs gave me for balinceing props you can use clear coat in many layer to balince out the prop
Yep, but what kind of clear coat??
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

You can also use paint, red on the tip helps You to see the danger zone!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

auto will work
Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
BarryReade

jship, you funny guy!!! Anyway i hyave a bunch of rattle cans of paint in the shop and some of them shouldn't melt the props.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Clear tape, electrical tape, duct tape (my personal favorite), and sanding also work. And don't forget, with some props (GWS & similar) if you just shatter the tip you can chop that part off and possibly keep using it.... Works for me and saves a whopping $1.25!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Sir Raleigh

Hey Teen,

I need a 9x4.7 and I have a 10x4.7. Can I chop 1/2" off each end to get the size I need?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

As long as the prop wont crack/be damaged otherwise, sure.

Edit As far as my tests have gone, basically all GWS props can be cut down as long as they stay balanced and some other brands, too.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Sir Raleigh

ORIGINAL: Teenage Pilot 13

As long as the prop wont crack/be damaged otherwise, sure.

Edit As far as my tests have gone, basically all GWS props can be cut down as long as they stay balanced and some other brands, too.
That's good to hear. My props are GWS EP1047.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
kcmoo97

TP13.It is good to see someone tryed RO.Glad To know you still have your SS and it will still fly! When I started that is all I could afford. I can't tell you how mutch dirt I dug from that 049 back in 1975. Try it agan, but this time give it some up, AND DON'T FLY BY A LAKE !!!!! No body said it was easy.The planes I now have are an Airo Bird Swift ( must fly this one hot shoe), a Comander 2 (nice bird) ,and a SS(stock), 3 or 4 sail planes,(all old stuff,one has a 99 inch wing) and a Vapor(fun bird to fly)Last friday (11-28)I didn't have to work and there was no wind ,took the Vapor out in front and had a ball all day!Hay, if you want to build something to find your CG, take a 2x6x12,2-1/4 " dowls,and2-erasors. Drill 2 1/4" holes in the 2x6, 6" left and right of center.Cut the dowls 10" long and put them in the holes, cap them with the erasors .Then all you have to do is set your plane on top and find the CG. Good flying to all, and to all ,,,,,,,,,,,,,good night! KCMOO
Old 12-03-2008, 11:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I hate to rain on TP's parade, but gws props are cheap enough that I would recommend just buying the size you want.

Sir Raliegh, just buy the 9x47 for $1. Yes they can be cut down, but then you need to reshape the end and then balance it. And an SS won't like a 9x47, not enough thrust.

Tim
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
BarryReade

TP, on the other hand try it. What do you have to lose. I have in the past cut many a prop down and then left them square and also reshaped the heck out of the blades. formula 1 use to be all about the prop when you got the top level. And a great prop was really cherished. When it broke it rated tears and a funeral.[sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Sir Raleigh

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I hate to rain on TP's parade, but gws props are cheap enough that I would recommend just buying the size you want.

Sir Raliegh, just buy the 9x47 for $1. Yes they can be cut down, but then you need to reshape the end and then balance it. And an SS won't like a 9x47, not enough thrust.

Tim
Tim, the props were originally purchased for the SS and I have plenty of them, but one will actually be used for a 33" Blu-Baby: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556 with a 1300kv, 24oz "Blue Wonder"-type motor using a 900 mAh, 2S, Lipo battery for power.

I just received an order from HC and wanted some 9x4.7s, but when I placed the order they were out of them.
I have an 8.25x5.5 I'm going to try first before I cut any props just to see how it does.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Tim, was that you that built a new balsa wing for a Slow Stick? I may be crazy but I think I remember seeing pictures. I ask because I'm going to try that too. I'm just finishing up my first scratch build and I've discrovered that it's much easier to work with balsa than I expected. I wanna build a wing with ailerons that will keep the original slowness+stability but allow some slightly more advanced aerobatics. I also want to be able to pull out of a steep dive and not hear the sound of packing tape flexing[:@]

It's funny. As soon as flying season is over I'm building, testing, figuring things out, and improving models even though I can't easily fly for several months. [&:]
Old 12-11-2008, 08:07 AM
BarryReade

TP, I am glad you have found the joy of working with wood. It will be a life long affair. Some years better than others. Been raining buckets here in atlanta. maybe between storms I can get in some SS stick time. I ordered a new plane on sale. [link=https://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/yak54e.html]YAK 54E[/link] It looks pretty good. Afriend in California gave me a heads up. It was $100 delivered to my door. Now I need to start getting all my components together to finish it.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 PM
odieyodie

Does anyone else use CA Hinges instead of tape on their tail sections. I did and it seems to work great and looks better than tape.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Hay Gang, I have a question????
I just got a motor, ESC, prop combo from Hobby City, China. I installed the combo on my second SS with an old recevier from an older brushed plane setup. It won't program and I hear nothing from the ESC, meaning the peeps to let me know everything is firing up. The rudder or elevator don't do anything and of course the motor won't run. So my question is. Do I need a Brushless Receiever to go along with this combo????????

Thanks, Bob
Keeping it 3 mistakes high.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:37 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

TP14, I have an SSX frpm millenium rc. And yes it is a built up balsa slow stick with ailerons. I do not have a world beating power plant on it.

Bob, there is no such thing as a brushless rx. I know this is a silly question, but, are your connectors plugged into the rx correctly? most rx's have a guide on the side.

Tim
Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Sir Raleigh

Bob, just start out by only plugging in the ESC with motor attached into the receiver. Turn on your transmitter and make sure the throttle is all the way down (off) then plug in the flight battery. If you don't hear any beeps then unplug the flight battery, turn the plug around in the receiver and try it again.

On a 72MHz receiver I have found that the plugs are situated so the solid side (the side where the 3 silver parts don't show through) face the lower channel number. So, when you plug in the ESC into channel 3, for example, the solid part of the plug will be facing channel 2.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Bill and Tim, you guys were right on. I turned over the motor plug on the receiver and WHOLLA, it worked. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Now if there is no wind in the morning I'm flying.

Bob

Keeping it 3 mistakes high.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Sir Raleigh

Good show, Bob.

I'm looking for some calm air myself to maiden my new 33" Blu-Baby: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

It's all built and ready to go. Fantastic looking plane with excellent reviews.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Bob, don't worry. That's a common problem with setting up servo/ESC leads, especially without a plug chart. Once I was (almost) panicking because my system wasn't working. I tried everything EXCEPT flipping the lead, then I finally figured it out.[&:] Took me a while though....

Tim, there IS such a thing as a BL rx. You can find them in the same store that sells aluminum magnets, perpetual motion machines, 102% efficiency motors, muffler bearings, metric bearing grease, coreless BL motors, a complete book of rhetorical answers, and Tam's famous Moller SkyCar, featured in several pics over on the BOC thread here

Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 AM
tam popo

TP, Fern and guys - no flying for me for 2 weeks, a slight illness, and no building either!!! Be back later......Byeeee.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.