Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

Hey Guys,

I just got my parts from Hobby city and I'm ready to get her up and flying. I need some help though

On the motor. How am I supposed to put the prop on? It has 2 nuts and one washer. The shaft is very long. Am I supposed to keep it towards the front of the shaft using one nut as the "back" nut? Or is it supposed to be mounted all the way towards the base of the shaft (as shown in the photos). I think I have it right in the photos, just needs to be all tightened down towards the base. Can someone confirm this for me please

ALso, on the esc. Am I supposed to match the wires as shown? There's a black and a blue, otherwise the colors match (as shown).

Has anyone here added ailerons to thier SS? If so, did you add a servo to each wing with a y harness, or did you use a single servo and rods somehow?
Thanks
Tim
Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: trpastor

Hey Guys,

I just got my parts from Hobby city and I'm ready to get her up and flying. I need some help though

On the motor. How am I supposed to put the prop on? It has 2 nuts and one washer. The shaft is very long. Am I supposed to keep it towards the front of the shaft using one nut as the "back" nut? Or is it supposed to be mounted all the way towards the base of the shaft (as shown in the photos). I think I have it right in the photos, just needs to be all tightened down towards the base. Can someone confirm this for me please

ALso, on the esc. Am I supposed to match the wires as shown? There's a black and a blue, otherwise the colors match (as shown).

Has anyone here added ailerons to thier SS? If so, did you add a servo to each wing with a y harness, or did you use a single servo and rods somehow?
Thanks
Tim
We need pictures for the prop shaft thingie. It doesn't make sense the way you have described it. Does the shaft have a collet on it or is it the actual motor shaft that is threaded?

As far as the ESC match up the red(+) to the same and the Black(-) to the same and the third wire will take care of itself. Again pictures would be a great help.

As far as ailerons and the SS the general consensus is they don't do that much and are not worth the effort as the stock wing is severely under cambered and has significant dihedral. But, they do have some effect in the upright position and if you are totally bored and want to try please do and report back your personal findings.[sm=confused_smile.gif]

If you can't post pictures let me know and I will post some and maybe one of them will be the right one and you can relate to it.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 PM
trpastor

Sorry!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69310.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1104389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79827.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1104390  
Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 PM
trpastor

I'm going to add floats to it, and I hear that's one area where the ailoerons may help, ... crosswind on water. Is this true?

Thanks
Tim
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
BarryReade

Red to red, yellow to yellow, and black to blue. If the motor turns the wrong direction switch the red and black wires. But, I think if you do it the first way it will be in the correct direction.

Run the nut all the way down if the plane will support it. The reason for that is to reduce the shaft length so to reduce harmonic vibration.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
trpastor

Ok guys,

One more question. Becuase of the size of my battery, and the way the landing gear/wing holder are set up, I can't scoot my battery back far enough to get the CG right. I can get it about 5-6cm behind the wing.

I guess I could bend the landing gear straight out along the fuselage (enough to accomadate the battery) and then drop them down. I would probably have to buy a new piece of wire to use to make it work well.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Tim
Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 AM
trpastor

nevermind guys. I got it working. I took the front landing gear and put it in the back slot. That gave me a little more room to slide the battery back. I might add a little weight ot the back to get it a little more centered, but it's probably fine as is

I will be taking my first test flight tomorrow

Here's some photos. I'm using the 2408-18 from Hobby king. A 3 cell 2200 20c cell, the micro servos and a futaba 4 ch radio. Does she look air worth yet?

Name:	Mk25433.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1104614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26208.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1104615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21294.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1104616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42933.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1104617  
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 AM
BarryReade

Proper CG is paramount to flying the airplane. A picture would help considerably.

In the following pic I am running a 2200 mah 3s lipo and it is not the most optimal position as it is very close to the prop and with the X gear landing gear there isn't a bunch of room. I have velcro on the batt that mates with the velcro on the stick and then two velcro straps around both to hold together. I also reversed the shaft on the motor so I could mount the motor on the rear of the mount instead of in front of it that would make it to nose heavy.

My tail is a bit heavier than stock as the push rods and the stab reinforcements add a bit of weight in the rear

So if everything is correct you might consider adding a bit of weight to the tail to make it balance properly.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:28 AM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: trpastor

nevermind guys. I got it working. I took the front landing gear and put it in the back slot. That gave me a little more room to slide the battery back. I might add a little weight ot the back to get it a little more centered, but it's probably fine as is

I will be taking my first test flight tomorrow

Here's some photos. I'm using the 2408-18 from Hobby king. A 3 cell 2200 20c cell, the micro servos and a futaba 4 ch radio. Does she look air worth yet?

Tim, it looks great. One more comment on the CG. It is really better to be a bit nose heavy on the first flight as it will desensitize the controls. Happy Landings and a great flight.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
trpastor

One more question on this esc. I can't figure out what the english translation of the Chinese is trying to say. Do I need to change any of the default settings on this (using a 3 cell 2200 mah lipo) or am I ok?

Thanks
Tim
Old 01-06-2009, 03:08 PM
BarryReade

Tim, who did you get your esc from? Post a link or send me a PM and I will see if I can help you find the English version.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
trpastor

shoot, I keep forgetting to provide the important data you need. It's the 2409 from Hobby king
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4712

I can scan the info sheet if that will help?

I flew it today! It went well. Very predictable flying, except the motor had so MUCH power on this little floater that it got into a stall right away and I had to do a loop de loop right off the ground! But once I got a feel for it very predictable stable flying.

I think it will be perfect for my backyard area. I just need to get the floats on it now.

Tim
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
trpastor

Hey Guys,

SO I'm putting floats on it. What kind of wind can I safely fly it in?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Anything over 5 mph will be a challenge with or without floats. But with the BL motor you have it should be a great experience to push it in higher winds. Just keep your seat belt on and have fun.

Bob, Flying 3 mistakes high at all times.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:34 PM
trpastor

do you think being on the water will make it even tougher, or about the same. I've flown off floats before with an apprentice. I'm most worried about winds tossing it over before I can get it off the ground with this light little plane (not having ailerons).
Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

ailerons won't make much of a difference on the SS, and they do stick to the water more than wheels stick to ground. Wind over water can be your enemy, 1, you could need a boat to retreive the plane and 2 if you get the electronics wet it could be all over for you. I would just wait for calm winds over the water and do more flight time on land till you get the feel of the SS with floats attached. Add wheels to the floats or hand launch the bird.

Bob, flying 3 mistakes high.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 PM
trpastor

cool! I'm sure it's going to snow here soon, so I can practice on land with floats more soon. I'll test the wind on land. From what I hear, the motor should be fine right? Esc and servos probably dead though, huh? (on a water crash)
Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

TR, when you get your floats, give them several coats of wax, slicker in the water.

Tim
Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 PM
trpastor

I'm coating them with econocote. Are you recommending to put it on - on top of that?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 AM
tam popo

Trpstar - a boat is good for retrieval but a cheap easy way is to find/buy/borrow a folding/telescopic fishing rod and 10ib line and reel. Attach a weight, toss it over the plane and pull like Hell!!!!!! Works everytime, ask me how I know!!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Sir Raleigh

Or, you can get a little RC boat, drag a line with a cork on the end behind it, send it out and circle the plane and tow it back.
Less likely to punch a hole in the plane with weight using a fishing rod (at least for me it would be. I'm a lousy caster with rod & reel).
Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Tam, how do you know? And why waste time on that when you can just use that flying car you've been showing off around here?It works over water, right?

Tim, your motor should be fine if it takes a drink, and the ESC/receiver can be saved if you dry them off IMMEDIATELY, but water screws up servos pretty bad (at least in my 'experiments'[:'(] ) and a lipo won't particularly ENJOY a bath, but the cells are sealed and airtight. I'm NOT, however, saying to go dunk your batt to test it's water resistance.[X(] I'd suggest putting your electronics in individual plastic bags sealed with zip ties, rubber bands, or hot glue. The servos are trickier to protect because they move, but if you spread hot glue around the gaps in their cases and put small greased o-rings on the output shafts they should be ok.

Man, I really had that all figured out! Just shows what I spend my time thinking about

My setup is an 1850kv outrunner, GWS 9x7 prop, micro servos (brand unknown), a brandless 25A ESC, JR S400 radio, and a 15C 3S 1200mAh lipo. By now I've repeated that so many times around here that I wouldn't be surprised if a handful of folks here could recite it from memory Just be careful; the Stick wasn't really designed to take the stress a power system like the ones we come up with. Just using too much power pulling out of a sharp dive is enough to [:@][:@] break my wing rubber bands.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 PM
trpastor

Hey Guys

Took her for her first swim/fly today! Wen't really well. I took off and landed about a dozen times. most nice and soft, but a couple hard bumps at the end ended my flight early. I think the battery was running out of juice so I was getting into stalls easier and then bouncing down hard.

Anyway, I had a straight rod that I put some fuel tubing on, and stuck the landing gear inside those with the rod. Those came out on my last bump, so I had to use the fishing rod to get it. Luckily, on ice, so everything was fairly dry.

Of course had it been on water it probably wouldn't have been so hard, and they may have stayed.

My wife took some shots. Anyone wanna see?
Tim
Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Pics? Now why would you have pics sitting around and not post them? Show us!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 PM
trpastor

All right .. here you go

first ones taking off.

Name:	Zw69761.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1106584  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.