Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Twister773

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Mopar, does it matter if you mount the motor mount to the fuse before doing the carbon fiber?  I was planning on doing starting this project a while back but have been very busy.  Tonight im gonna do the cf rod and start the trailing edge and elevons.  Just curious if there is a reason not to mount the motor mount yet.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Twister773

also curious if the CC ice 100 would suffice as a speed control or if its best to seek out a used 125.
5.5 bullet connectors from motor to esc and deans on the battery to esc be ok?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Buggygovroom

Greetings,

Just pack these frames with as much stuff as you can fit.
Yo Dude !!!
Any pictures or videos as of recently ???
Welcome back !!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Twister773

Mopar, does it matter if you mount the motor mount to the fuse before doing the carbon fiber? I was planning on doing starting this project a while back but have been very busy. Tonight im gonna do the cf rod and start the trailing edge and elevons. Just curious if there is a reason not to mount the motor mount yet.
ORIGINAL: Twister773

also curious if the CC ice 100 would suffice as a speed control or if its best to seek out a used 125.
5.5 bullet connectors from motor to esc and deans on the battery to esc be ok?
Definately makes a HUGE difference. You NEED to keep the CF running between the front and the rear screws for MAX strength and torque transmission. I mark the holes, but I keep the mount off untill everything (elevons and TE) are FINISHED !!

You have a GREAT motor.....................use a GREAT ESC...........PHOENIX 125 (can take 150+ amps in Stryker if you cool it well)

STAY AWAY from Deans at your power levels. I run 6.5mm bullets everywhere.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Gryphon

moparmyway,

I'm glad you remembered that he was going to run 16/35/1.5 2700 (his post left that out).... Phoenix ICE 100A would have ran 6X4 sport on 4S or bigger prop partially into burst range....And that would have not worked out great for a hand launched Stryker.

Phoenix 125A will let him run the APC Pylon props for a bunch more thrust and a big difference in thrust.

Gryphon
Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Twister773

thanks mopar and gryphon.  Ill post pictures of my cf job tomorrow after i do it, not gonna mess with it tonight.  I saw a post by gryphon using 3 cf rods acrossed the back due to it not being glassed...is that the cf layout i should follow?  I cant wait to here that mega scream
Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Gryphon

Twister773,

I have not worked on that build in a while.

(2) C.F. will be required.....I prefer 3 this way after some mishaps when 1 of your C.F. becomes weak/breaks you will still be protected.

I had a Stryker fuse with (1) C.F. snap a wing in midflight as I was banking...parts rained down. That will not happen again.

(2) C.F. for 120-130 MPH flights.....and (3) for your kind of power level if not doing glass.

I am going to tie/connect/glue those rods to each other to increase the stiffness.
I might do that with 1/2 size C.F. strips (rectangular cross section instead of tube).
My 3 pieces in the post you saw were Strips (full size) with same weight as 0.210 tubes (roughly 0.5 gram/inch).

Use gorilla glue to save weight as compared to epoxy….mine are epoxy. I used gorilla glue on the C.F. tubes that replaced the stock rods by leading edge.

From far rear corner of wing (at outside edge of wooden trailing edge), you need to install a diagonal C.F. to as close as to center of rear C.F. as possible.

***Make sure that your motor mount screws do not interfere with your planned C.f. lay out...mark things before you cut.....well; tape things in place first.

I suggest you post a hand sketch drawing of your planned C.F. layout before you do any work.
Lets make sure that there are no miscommunications by anyone of us.

Gryphon
Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Twister773

about how much carbon fiber is needed.  We are going to the LHS today and i want to make sure i have enough.  I have 3 40'' sticks
Old 11-20-2009, 03:36 AM
moparmyway

6 full 40" sticks are needed in your application..........................MINIMUM !!!

1 stick for each diagonal (where fiberglass stock ones WERE)
1 stick for front to back
2 sticks for left to right
1 stick for trailing edge re-enforcement

The MEGA 16/35/1.5 can propell a Stryker to 135+ mph EASILY, you need all of the CF you can get !!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Chocks

Mopar/Gryphon

I have a 4200 kv outrunner that was in an old heli. I mounted it in my stock Styker with a 30 amp esc. First flight I used a GWS 5 x 4.3. It blew up the prop and sent it thru the fins and broke the motor mount. After the second try I figured out it was the prop breaking first and not problems with the motor or mount.

So the third try I used an APC 5.5x 5 flew good thru one battery charge. Everything seemed to be ok. Nothing too hot to handle and everything still in tact. So I decided to put a 6x4 APC on it and was doing a flyby on the third lap and just as she got up to speed she let out the prettiest blue smoke trail. My 30 amp speed control was history. Will a 60 AMP work or will I have to go bigger or change motors?

Thanks, Chocks(Loran)
Old 11-21-2009, 04:01 AM
moparmyway

WOW.........................4200kv ????
Thats VERY VERY high kv for a Stryker !!
We would need to have a link for the motor that lets us know more details about its weight, resistance, size, etc. to get a better idea of what its going to draw.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Chocks

The outside dim's are , 28 mm dia, 33mm long, and 3mm shaft. I don't know how many poiles it has. The label is from EFL hobbies. Whoever that is. It came out of a Walkera 60B all metal heli. I am going to order a 80a esc, a watt meter and a motor somewhere in the 2700 kv range. I hope it works. Thanks,
Old 12-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Larry Driskill

Chocks, Good Morning,

I have two flyable Strykers, both on 3s.

One has a Mega 1900 Kv (16/25/3 ?) that is turning an 8X5 prop. It is great fun. The speed is ok and in the vertical it is quickly almost out of sight, but with the Mega's relatively low Kv it does not sound all that fast.

The other plane has an E-Flight Series Six 2700 usually turning a 6X4 or 5.5X5. It is probably only a bit faster than a stock F-27C, but it sounds much faster and that adds to the fun factor.

I'll bet you will be happy with your 2700 choice.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:13 PM
moparmyway

Larry,
Any way to post some recent pictures of those Strykers ???
Old 12-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Twister773

well although i keep thinking my styker is gonna get started, it doesnt.  The few things that i dont have yet, santa will be bringing so there will be another new born, somewhat fast styker born and unleashed by jan 1st 2010
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
moparmyway

Twister,
I am sorry, I had my car totaled out on me. I will get to the Post Office in the next 2 days and PM you when it is on its way !!!

__________________________________________________ ___

OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY, OH BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get to FINALLY bring (what I think) the BESTEST Stryker news EVER !!!!!!!!!

A BRAND NEW design in motor mounts is ready for this thread !!!

I have the green light to FINALLY break this news, and you will read it here FIRST !!!!!

I have been working with an EXCELLENT machinist on developing and testing an aluminum motor mount for the Stryker !!!!

I just got the prototype for the production run today, and will be posting pictures up soon on how its mounted, and how it looks both on and off our beloved Strykers !!!

For your enjoyment, here is a sneak peek at one of the initial prototype designs !!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned for MORE !!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14265.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	707.7 KB
ID:	1329376  
Old 12-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Gryphon

moparmyway,

Which one is mine?....maybe I should say how many are mine?

Seriously though, I can use more than one.

Some of the Stryker setups that I have been testing are getting well over 6 LBs thrust.

With that motor mount, my Stryker will no longer look like a sleeper (with the motor off) and it'll stand out from the crowd big time.

Gryphon
Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody try and build a stryker with the intentions of good looks? I plan on fully glassing one so i can put some nice paint on it.

Whats the best motor for speed running 80amp or less on 3s? 4s? I dont want to squeeze huge packs in there with a 120amp+esc

I have had several 6 series strykers with 25c 3s lipos and have had fun, but i want to go faster now
Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Gryphon

DMehalko(DM),

MEGA 16/25/2 2650KV is a great choice for 3S, and 4S 80A operations (not very much lower AMPs).

Unless you make comments on future plans, 5S Stryker goals, price, etc....then that MEGA will be Very close to optimal.

Actually there is also a new 16/25/2E with little lower KV and same AMP handling capability.
That one we have not tested yet, but it will be GREAT too.

My guess is that the new addition to MEGA family; 16/25/2E might be a little better for your needs if you want to run as low as 60A range for the low end….same max amps as other motor.

Either motor is available in 3.2mm shaft, or the optional 5mm COMBAT shaft (good luck trying to get that one bent).

The new motor may not be easily available…might be 2 on their way to USA right now.

16/25/2 is easily available in 3.2mm shaft, possibly 5mm version in stock in USA……Any of the (4) possibilities above roughly $114. Top quality motor.

Hopefully you can comment before Moparmyway checks this thread in an hour or so( at soonest) or he will check in a day (at latest).

*** Edit: (TWO) 16/25/2E motors were shipped 2 weeks ago to USA. They should have arrived between end of last week and Yesterday (Monday). They are both 5mm COMBAT version.
Let me know if you want (1) of them and I can PM you the particular MEGA Dealer's information.

Gryphon
Old 12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
DMehalko

How would that 2650kv motor compare to the 2700kv motors i have been using? Like I said i definently had fun with the elfite 6 series 2700kv but want more, what about their ducted fan motors? Like the Power bl15? it comes in 3200kv, 3600kv, and 3800kv versions
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...5DF#quickSpecs
Old 12-08-2009, 09:36 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: DMehalko(DM)

How would that 2650kv motor compare to the 2700kv motors i have been using? Like I said i definently had fun with the elfite 6 series 2700kv but want more, what about their ducted fan motors? Like the Power bl15? it comes in 3200kv, 3600kv, and 3800kv versions
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...5DF#quickSpecs
Please save yourself some added "motor hunting" in a little while. The $80 you will spend on an E-Flite 28mm diameter inrunner..............PLEASE try to get the extra $$$ for that 16/25/2 MEGA !!!!

Your limit would be your ESC and your battery. You might NEVER need another motor again !!!

Please just think about it.

Wanna go fast ?? Install the correct prop and throw your Stryker. Wanna go vertical ? switch props/batts, 2 minutes later, throw again !!!!!!! SIMPLE and EASY !!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Gryphon

DMehalko(DM),

You asked:
"How would that 2650kv motor compare to the 2700kv motors I have been using?"

I know the KV of both motors seems very close but they are TWO VERY DIFFERENT ANIMALS.

Yours was a 400 size motor.
The two MEGA that I mentioned are both 480 size, and have a MUCH LOWER resistance.

Due to the lower resistance the same prop will cause motor to draw in more AMPs and turn more RPM.
You can also run larger props and much more AMPs and have the motor stay happy. It'll generate less heat and run more efficient.

With both motors at 60A, you will get much higher efficiency out of the MEGA 2 turn compared to your old motor.

Maybe I should have simply said: It is MUCH more powerful motor while staying efficient.

Stay away from those higher KV motors, they are not ideal in a Stryker (small prop), nor are they the best combination with what you mentioned before.

Whatever you decide to get, we will make it work.....With the MEGA you will have advantages that you will see right away and some advantages that you will see in future.....A TRUE GEM.

To be honest I wouldn't mind seeing some other friends of mine end up with the 16/25/2E for more powerful setups than yours...either of the above MEGA's will run GREAT at 80A and will not be near max.

By no means am I pushing for MEGA….I think I asked for more of a feedback from you. No need for everyone to get a MEGA….you never commented on your price range etc….

Everyone has different desires, you want the best match for your needs, then give as much detail and comments as possible. So far it seems those two MEGA will be among your best options.
If you are trying to find better motor…STOP, you will be wasting your time.
If you want a different motor for whatever reason, we will be glad to hello you find another one.

Wish you the best,

Gryphon
Old 12-08-2009, 11:08 PM
DMehalko

hmmm... sounds like that mega will be good then, i'll trust you guys and settle on that.

NOW, more questions, My old stykers (havent had one in a couple years) had that 6 series i talked about with a eflite 40amp esc and 25c 2200 11.1's in it and i put a zillion flights on it with the stock f-27c prop. So i will need twice the amperage for the mega motor? would the eflite 60amp pro work? Phoenix 80amp? ICE? ICE light?

I plan on staying with 3s packs but might dip into the 4s if i dont have to run a BEC.

JUST bought a new airframe BTW
Old 12-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Gryphon

Hi all,

Phoenix ICE 200A good for up to 8S will be shipping out to stores in Jan.

130 Grams [sm=bananahead.gif]

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...oenix_ice.html

Gryphon
Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Gryphon

DMehalko(DM),

The (2) MEGA motor options above do not have to have twice the AMPs as your Six series.. You control the AMPs by the size of the prop that you will put on the plane.

Feel free to run your 40A ESC for all that the motor cares.....you will make about same power as before with a little smaller prop.

Units of power are Watts [W] , and Horse Power [Hp} 746W = 1 HP

Watts = AMPs X Volts (with volts read while motor is running under load)

You said:
"would the eflite 60amp pro work? Phoenix 80amp? ICE? ICE light? "

Sure all of those will work, but the Phoenix 80A ESC will need to have Universal BEC when you switch over to 4S.

It will be cheaper than Phoenix 80 to go to with Phoenix ICE lite 100.

The two links below are full retail price for comparison, you can get them a bit cheaper from Tower hobbies and other places.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...oenix_ice.html

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-80.html

So, the 100A version is newer, cheaper, handles more AMPs, Can be run all the way up to 6S without needing UBEC, and it has a built in data logging feature.
Castle creations has excellent customer service. Their ESCs provide you with lots of adjustments. You'll love the fancy adjustments in future...lots of custom settings too.

Before the ICE series came out, I got lots of people to buy the Phoenix 80A with their MEGA 2 turn. I ran that ESC on 4S and 90+A with GREAT success....even (1) 5S 101A flight....ESC never got hot.

Castle ESC owners love using the additional Castle link $25 to get into the extra programming features of their ESCs.....makes all adjustments super easy and you can see the changes on your computer screen trough the USB connection.

Note: Phoenix ICE Lite 75A is only $20 cheaper than ICE Lite 100A....same size, and same weight......definitely go with the 100A option between those two.

Above are all high quality ESC.
I wish the E-flight 60A pro(75A burst) had a bigger brother in order to not Pigeon hole yourself for future needs and desires.

You can save some money by getting a 80A Turnigy Plush ESC. $55-$65 range I think....Made in China......I would have preferred not adding this one, but I should show you more options than your list. You don't need to buy extra UBEC, it is either internal or it comes with one. I've never run it, but some people say decent things about it.

With those MEGA motors you can have 130+ MPH level flights (without needing tail wind) in future on larger 4S flowing 90-95A and good size heat sink on motor (besides lots of fuse mods etc...)

Gryphon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.