RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   GWS Pico TIGER MOTH - Flight Report (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/4278692-gws-pico-tiger-moth-flight-report.html)

guapoman2000 05-14-2006 09:57 PM

GWS Pico TIGER MOTH - Flight Report

1 Attachment(s)
After owning many fast Sport Models and heavy Glow-to-Electric projects, I finally broke down and decided on a Slow and Scale model. A co-worker and friend was selling a built-up GWS Pico Tiger Moth from someone that could not RC fly anymore and as soon as I saw it I was hooked.

The looks is just half the story because once it took off this early morning in DEAD CALM conditions here in Orlando, Florida the model is just a delight to fly and it actually flys slower than my Slow Stick! Once in the air this little 9 1/8 oz. fully loaded GWS Pico TIGER MOTH flew with such scale manners that I could bring her in super close to Gerry as he took several nice in-flight pictures and I was able to thread the model inbetween us as it passed by at least 2 MPH speed! :eek:

This model takes the Award for being Super Slow! :p

As much as I like super fast Sport Models, this Pico Tiger Moth is a keeper with the IPS power system and swinging the GWS "Slow Flyer" 9 X 7 propeller using the Kokam 1025mAH, 2-Cell, 7.4 Volt, 8C, Li-POLYs. I used the GWS Pico Standard servos.

It looked great in the air, just a wonderful day of "Close-to-Home" Flying! :D ;)

Adam G 05-15-2006 10:36 AM

RE: GWS Pico TIGER MOTH - Flight Report

What an awesome "paint" scheme. If it flies that slow, I bet it would make a great indoor flyer. Do you think it is docile enough to fly in a schoool gym? What are the black tiger stripes made out of?

Good to see you start a thread over here. I spend most of my time here. The guys just seem more friendly and eager to help rather than tear you apart.

guapoman2000 05-15-2006 02:17 PM

All paints are water based (Acrylic) by MASTER MODEL Paints made by Testors.

http://www.hobbyplace.com/tools/paint.php

All brushed painted free hand.

Yes, for me it was like RC Flying in Very Slow Motion as I am used to a 74.8 MPH Great Planes Super Sportster EP the tips the digital scale at 3.12 lbs. so, for me you can place the transmitter down and take a coffee break....not that I am recommending a strunt like that...just in jest.:D I would certainly consider this model a very good flyer inside a good size High School Gym as it is very slow to fly especially with the Stock IPS motor and 2-Cell Li-POLYs. Just be careful with any Air Conditioned air outlet ducts.

Carlos

Slo-V Flyer 05-15-2006 11:54 PM

Hey I love that video of the SSportster zooming around the stationary camera at speed! BTW, I too really like how you have the TM painted. Very clean and neat! Congrats on your maiden. Yes, you can now relax and sip some coffee with one hand while flying your TM with the other! :D Us slow flyers do that all the time. J/k. :D

guapoman2000 05-16-2006 12:20 AM

Slo V,

Thanks for those kind words and yes, I am enjoying the Slow Flight again....at one point, my Flying Buddy, Gerry said that had he not had his camera in his hands he could have reached out and grab the model as it came that close!

For more neat videos of other models including the Super Sportster EP....
http://www.putfile.com/guapoman2000

I will video the TIGER MOTH as soon as weather conditions permitt!

Slo-V Flyer 05-16-2006 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Slo V,

Thanks for those kind words and yes, I am enjoying the Slow Flight again....at one point, my Flying Buddy, Gerry said that had he not had his camera in his hands he could have reached out and grab the model as it came that close!

For more neat videos of other models including the Super Sportster EP....
http://www.putfile.com/guapoman2000

I will video the TIGER MOTH as soon as weather conditions permitt!
Excellent! I'd love to see some Slow-action flying of the TM! :)

guapoman2000 05-18-2006 06:24 AM

Stay tuned for Saturday as this is the best conditions for Central Florida. We presently are having lots of wind even early morning so, looks like Saturday very early will be it.

Video camcorder's batteries are fully charged and my flying buddy will be there as well to maiden his modified GWS Slope Tiger Moth that he made into the Bucker Jungmann, it's going to be two nice Videos of two nice GWS models flying in formation!

Carlos

guapoman2000 05-18-2006 09:16 PM

My Sky Brother "Gerry" (a.k.a., SIMANO) is working hard with a recently acquired TIGER MOTH Slope Version that he is modifying into a BU 131 BUCKER JUNGMANN. He did so because he Loves these German planes and no one has one in this scale.

I can't wait to get my Tiger Moth and His up in the air flying in formation.:D

Here is his thread at RCG's:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519099

guapoman2000 05-21-2006 02:30 PM

Videos Videos!

http://media.putfile.com/GWS-pico-Tiger-Moth-FLT1

http://media.putfile.com/GWS-pico-Tiger-Moth-FLT2

As you all can see the GWS pico Tiger Moth exhibits very good flying characteristics and super slow assuming you keep the model nice and light.

Enjoy!
Carlos

Slo-V Flyer 05-21-2006 11:11 PM

Hey nice videos! The landings look like you need some getting used to :D. The Slo Stick in the end was a good comparison for size and speed. Looks like the TM can fly just about as slow. [8D]

guapoman2000 05-21-2006 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Hey nice videos! The landings look like you need some getting used to :D. The Slo Stick in the end was a good comparison for size and speed. Looks like the TM can fly just about as slow. [8D]
The Tiger Moth's landing gear is removeable and being such the wire makes it bounce a lot. It was a miracle that it took off from ground. I would need to provide additional bracing to avoid the bounce.

Speaking of Slow Sticks.....take a look at these.....

http://media.putfile.com/GWS-Slow-Stick-AF010-14-T

http://media.putfile.com/GWS-Slow-Stick-Hand-Catches

guapoman2000 05-22-2006 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Presently installing a neat instrument panel (scale) and yes, it might not be exactly what the Tiger Moth had but, I am not anal in this regard and use what looks good and with a quality printer. This is a photograph quality paper and it will look good and this is all that I care.

Also, trying to install some bracing wires (dental floss) for the main landing gear such that will eliminate the bounce and will not add any weight.

Carlos

guapoman2000 05-23-2006 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, don't look now....but, RCUniverse has selected my Tiger Moth Picture for the Pic of the Moment! :D

http://www.rcuniverse.com/index.cfm

guapoman2000 05-26-2006 05:04 AM

Well Guys,

For the past two weeks I have been flying the GWS pico Tiger Moth at the Space Center's Club Field and another Club close to the Space Center.

Usually, I come with several other models and just fly the Moth for 10 minutes and the charge back into the Kokms 1025mAh, 2 cell, Li-POLYs is not more than 160mAH![:-]

Certainly, it is no HOT ROD with the IPS power system but, it does fly very nice and SCALE and yesterday morning with DEAD CALM conditions it flew like it was on rails, no hint of hesitation.

Enjoying this model very much!

mrluke 05-27-2006 03:52 AM

I have an old TM I used to fly on the suggested 7.2 270 ni cd they came with in the flight pack from GWS with ESC Servos and reciever. I dont remeber what size ESC it was, but do you think I could safely run a 7.4 1300 Mah 2 lipo and not cook the ESC or the batt. Someone told me that there was no danger of damaging the Lipo as long as I dont fly over 20 min before a charge?

guapoman2000 05-27-2006 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: mrluke

I have an old TM I used to fly on the suggested 7.2 270 ni cd they came with in the flight pack from GWS with ESC Servos and reciever. I dont remeber what size ESC it was, but do you think I could safely run a 7.4 1300 Mah 2 lipo and not cook the ESC or the batt. Someone told me that there was no danger of damaging the Lipo as long as I dont fly over 20 min before a charge?
mrluke,

My Tiger Moth is completely STOCK with the exception of the Battery Pack as it is the KOKOMs 1025mAH, 2-cell, Li-POLYs. The ESC is the GWS 2 AMP ESC and I have flown it for over 10 minutes without any ill effects.

The 7.4 Volts nominal (8.4 Volts off the Charger) is really not that much Voltage but, the Model's GWS IPS Power System last a long time.

mrluke 05-27-2006 06:00 PM

great! thanks, I'll give it a go.... My esc is also 2 amps(GWS) so should be good to go. I'll let you know how she does

guapoman2000 05-30-2006 01:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally found what motivated the previous owner's inspiration on the paint job on my Tiger Moth. I found it in Model Aviation Magazine, April 2004 issue, Page 39.

As you can see it was an article that started on Page 38 about "Scale Masters 2003" competition. This particular meet was held in Dayton, Ohio and this program was conceived more than 20 years ago to bring people together and enjoy each other's "Scale" models. The program has grown to more than 22 regional qualifiers in the US, Canada, and even Puerto Rico.

Okay, on Page 39 in the middle of the page shows Jeremy Arvin's de Havilland D.H.82A in which won Expert and narrowly missed claiming Grand Champion.

As you can see the paint job is almost exactly like my little GWS pico Tiger Moth except the cowling of course.

Modeling is just super as you never know where people will get their inspiration. I wonder where Mr. Arvin got his for his large 1/3 scale Tiger Moth....

soarhead-RCU 05-30-2006 10:17 AM

Yesterdays Flight:
OK about 4 oclock yesterday we hit a wind switch and it went completely calm for about 30 minutes Took the old Pico Moth up to the church parking lot and green area (about half a soccer field in size) It was about 80 degrees and the air was very heavy with humidity. Hadnt flown the old girl since maybe Jan or Feb and that was inside. The air was so thick that when trimed out it just barely crawled across the sky. Never went above maybee 10-15 feet in altitude. On days like this when you hit the conditions just right it really amazes on how great a little aircraft this little job is!!
Mine is stock and I fly with a 700ma Lipo. Put some orange sticky trim pie wedges on the wing and tail surfaces. All up wt is a tad over 7 ounces. This is one plane a manufacture got it right andwill fly great with little or no modifications if flown like the real one does.
My thoughts
Bob

guapoman2000 05-30-2006 06:08 PM

Bob,

Excellent write-up and flight report!!!

Wow, 7 oz.! I need to change out my battery to a 2-Cell, 700mAH, Li-POLYs to keep mine as light as yours! Good idea!

guapoman2000 05-30-2006 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ALTERNATIVE POWER SYSTEMS:

Some people that may want a little more zip and power at the COST OF WEIGHT then, read this.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
Hello Simano / Guapoman / All

I saw your Tiger Moth and I would like to buy one for me! Please, tell me if there´s any thread here to help me like if it need any kind of reinforcments, better motor, esc, etc..
This plane fly with a speed 300 7.2v???

Tks !!!!
================================================== =======================

Señor Claudio,

Gerry is correct with the Speed 300, however, let me clear the air of what is what with the GWS power systems, unless they have changed the ways they keep the type of Speed 300's ...

First off, the "SPEED" designation was patented by GRAUPNER (Germany) and they are the only ones that can use the "SPEED" designation and not GWS so, therefore:

GWS uses the EPS-300C, EPS-350C, EPS-400C, and EPD-400C to name a few.

The GWS EPS-300C power system comes with a 7.2Volt Mabuchi 370 motor "or" can be said in similar fashion as the GRAUPNER 7.2Volt Speed 300.
The GWS EPS-350C comes with a 6.0 Volt Mabuchi 370 "or" can be said in similar fashion as the GRAUPNER 6.0 Volt Speed 300.

Assuming you are going to use 2-Cell Li-POLYs to keep your models weight down then, the EPS-300C using little gearbox ratio (nothing more than 3:1 ratio) and swinging a 9 X 7 propeller will do fine. Also, you can use the EPS-350C in a higher gearbox gearing (nothing less than 5.33:1 ratio) and swinging the same 9 X 7 propeller.

The EPS-300C has more Torque and less RPM/VOLT while the EPS-350C has less Torque and more RPM/VOLT.

The examples below was using a heavy Li-POLY as this is what they have in the data bank and I would NOT use anything above a 1025mAH Li-POLY cells "and" I used the same Gearbox Ratios since the "C" gearing is widely used by all Stock EPS-300C and EPS-350C power systems and many of the "C" gearing spur gear replacements are available at many hobby stores, thereby I did not use the 3:1 ratio in my examples below.

Hope this helps!
Carlos

soarhead-RCU 06-01-2006 09:58 AM

Say Guys:
A couple of the can motor Gurus at RCG (vintage 1 & Dean of Milwalkee) have found that if you use a 3s lipo with the little IPSA motor you can get about 20% more power. You have to use a 7X6 or 8X4 propwith the A gears to keep the Amps at 2. The increase in voltage really make them sing with-out any heat build up if you use the GWS heat sink. Motor life is much the same as normal
Bob

jyc 06-02-2006 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello:

This little plane is sooo cool. I have successfully converted over to planks:D The Tiger Moth flies steady, even in light wind. With throttle at minimum, the plane appears as if it's floating in mid air. My whirly birds are now collecting dusts:)

mrluke 06-03-2006 07:49 PM

well I took the old TM out today and put my 2 pack lipo in and ran up the throtle and the prop will spin but not fast enough to generate any speed. I tried othe batts that worked fin in other planes. Does this mean my gws 2 AMP ESC IS SHOT?

guapoman2000 06-03-2006 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: mrluke

well I took the old TM out today and put my 2 pack lipo in and ran up the throtle and the prop will spin but not fast enough to generate any speed. I tried othe batts that worked fin in other planes. Does this mean my gws 2 AMP ESC IS SHOT?
I think you mentioned earlier in the thread that you were going to install a 1,300mAH 2-Cell, Li-POLY, correct?

What ia your exact setup?