Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Morris the Knife CG and other set up questions

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Morris the Knife CG and other set up questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:43 AM
A. Holden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morris the Knife CG and other set up questions

i just got a used MTK and it dosen't have a rx in it.... I'm putting that in and then it should be ready to fly- I was wondering what is a good CG on this plane and also what about the throws???? Any set up info that you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated- thanks

Alex
Pro Bro #555
[email protected]
Old 02-23-2004, 02:00 PM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Morris the Knife CG and other set up questions

Morris has the manuals online. Heres a link. Hope this helps.
http://morrishobbies.com/Manuals/the_knife.pdf
Old 02-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Most guys fly at least 1" behind the recomended CG for good 3D performance. But that would depend on your skills too. As far as thwows, all you can get, and I mean ALL. If you're new to this kind of plane, set up a DR with 1/2 of that, and start with some expo. I don't remember what the book said on the throws, but they were very mild. Great airplane, you'll love it.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:49 PM
A. Holden

thanks for the info- Morris says that the ch should be around 4-1/2" so I think that I'll start around 5"- and I'll go with gordos suggestions for the throws- this is possibly the ugliest mtk that has ever flown..... figured that i'd buy a "beater" plane for learning some more 3d- I'm looking forward to flying it- thanks again

alex
Old 02-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: A. Holden
this is possibly the ugliest mtk that has ever flown..... figured that i'd buy a "beater" plane alex
Dude, you want to be careful throwing the "U" word aroung when talking about a profile!~ Especially the Knife, which I think the majority of the Bros have owned at one time and annother!! It's one of those things that you just have do do once, and when you're sitting around with a bunch of ProBros having a beer, you'll remeber it with a tear in your eye! (well, ok, that's a bit over the top!)
Old 02-24-2004, 08:34 AM
A. Holden

you haven't seen it........ I'm mostly referring to the covering job that is on it- it's something else- let's put it that way- I got into it last nigh and started doing a few things to it- just got to put the rx and battery in there and she should be ready to fly- I have heard so many good things about this plane that I can't wait to fly it- the weather is crappy here so it may be the weekend before I get a chance- thanks again for the help -

Alex
Old 02-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: A. Holden

you haven't seen it........ I'm mostly referring to the covering job that is on it- it's something else- let's put it that way-Alex
LOL Sorry, I didn't read the right thoughts into it. My apologies, I've had a few covering jobs like that too!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:30 AM
A. Holden

gordo-
no problem ! I got the rx in and decided to modify the throttle servo by putting a hs-81 right behind the engine on the fuse- that saves some weight and makes for better throttle response I think..... I'm going to try to fly this afternoon- I haven't tried to fire up the engine.... it's a mvvs with a tuned pipe... I've read mixed reviews on here of the mvvs engines so I don't really know what to expect from it- the guy I got it from says that it runs great on 15% but the consensus on here was no more than 5%.... anyone want to chime in and tell me what you think about mvvs engines??? I'll post a picture tonight when I get home-

Alex
Pro-Bro #555

ps- is it just me or do any of you guys work on planes in the morning before going to work????? Is that a sign of sickness??? just wondering........
Old 02-25-2004, 01:50 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Hi,
I have the knife arf and the covering is really poor on it. It seems every flight a new piece of covering comes off. There is bare wood on this baby. Still flies great.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:40 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I had a MVVS .49 with a mini tuned pipe.... I ran it on 5% Nitro / 20% oil. It was a pretty good runner... Liked a 11.5 x 4 APC prop... Throttle responce was pretty good.... low end needle adjustment was a little finicky... Loaded up a little in the mid range... I liked my Webra .50 a little better, but it was pretty good.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:47 PM
A. Holden

Paul-
Thanks for the input- I appreciate it- I am going to fly it this afternoon so we'll see what happens- I figure I'll beat this one up while I'm building my burrito that way when I get the burrito done (I plan on taking my time) I won't abuse it so bad- well, thats my thinking anyway.....

Alex Holden
Pro Bro # 555
[email protected]
Old 02-25-2004, 07:24 PM
A. Holden

just got back from testing the knife --- whew..... that was a wild ride!!!!! so tail heavy that it was nuts- I didn't check the cg cause I thought for sure that it had a forward cg and that I was safe...... WRONG! I gave it up elevator and it shot straight up and I had to fly with major down elevator- it was cool after I cleaned my britches out and settled down- I ran 3 tanks through it- flat spins were so easy..and harrier flight too.. the mvvs ran pretty darn well I must say- looks like I'm going to have to mount the battery on the fuse.... that should help- can't wait to fly this one when t is set up right-

Alex
Pro-Bro #555
[email protected]