Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Have evolution .46 for Morris profile

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Have evolution .46 for Morris profile

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
c016Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have evolution .46 for Morris profile

Will this engine fly any of the Morris profile planes. I can't even find any specs on this engine.. came with my hanger 9 alpha that I am tired of. I am curious if it would have enough to fly vertical with this engine.

Also.. which Morris is best. The knife, balsa nova, su-do-khoi, or topcap?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Balsageek

Default RE: Have evolution .46 for Morris profile

It's heavy, and doesn't produce alot of power. The evolutions are good for a trainer... they start easy, they run, but they're not as great in the power dept as you'll want.. Sell it! And get a TT or OS 46. Better yet a webra 50.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:24 AM
c016Y

OK.. not what I wanted to hear.

How about the other question. What is the best performer of the Morris profiles. What will do the most 3D stuff.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Balsageek

Ok it sounds like I was trashing your engine and that wasn't my intention, it was just a quick of handed reply. You actually could try the engine and if it doesn't do what you want, swap it. I've had experience with those engines on those ALPHA's, helping beginners at the filed. They have alot of extra metal on them (needle stops, huge muffler etc) and they are kinda beefy, but you may get away with it. Definately ditch the 3 bladed prop, that's the prop I've delt with and it may actually be the prop that doesn't do the engine justice in the power dept. It may really step up on a 11.5x4 or something.

As for planes, if you want morris go with what you think looks best out of the sledge, knife, sudokhoi, topcap. Everyone has their favorite. If you want to save a buck or 2, look at the burrito, or anything OMP. IMO the kits look better than morris and their prices are better. The burrito is next on my "to build" list (much like the knife). Now if the feds will ever send me my tax return I might get started!!!

Good luck,
Matt
Old 03-18-2004, 01:58 AM
c016Y

Ha.. I didn't even give a thought to what you said about the engine. I just figured that's how it was.. go with what you got! No worries.

I only flew that 3 blad prop about 6 times total.. moved to a 2 blade and it got about 50% faster. The engine is 1oz heavier than the osfx.46. I can't tell how "strong" and engine is. Not sure what to look for, but, it may not be stong enough. Can't ever find the specs for that stinkin thing.

I am suprised you say go by looks. Doesn't the shape of the plane make a big diff? I would think the flight characteristics would be quite a bit diff between the lot. As far as looks go.. they are all ugly imo. I like the looks of some of the sukoi's I have seen, but, think that if I want to get the type of flight I want.. One of these profiles would probably be best.

If I was going by look of the morris lot.. i would choose the balsa nova. Notice you did not mention that. I guess that has completely different flight characteristics?

I will check out that burrito. Who makes it?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:09 AM
Balsageek

The shape does make a difference, as well as construction and final weight. Thats why I named the top 4 morris profiles. The balsa nova and hots suck, they're old designs. Once you've narrowed it down to those top 4, it gets real nitpickey as to whats best and everyone has their fav. Some are easier to harrier (sledge, topcap) others hover and knife edge better (knife) some fall between, but the differences are marginal. If you're just movin from a trainer, chances are you'll go through at least one profile before you get to the hover harrier stage and can notice the difference (not putting you down we all do it). Paul swanny puts out the burrito www.swanyshouse.com

And the reason I say anything omp, is for the same above differences marginal. The general concensus is that they all rock.

Oh and watch what you call ugly! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Once you fly a profile, you'll want to join the brotherhood, and every profile is beautiful![8D]
Old 03-18-2004, 03:13 AM
c016Y

That is what I thought you might have been saying (really close to each other). Got bored with the trainer.. been flying a ucd 60 with ys 1.10. I can get it down pretty well hovering and such and haven't crashed YET. Maybe my luck will be good?

I like the ole burrito, but, don't have time to invest in building. Maybe Paul would build for some extra cash? I have a feeling I could swing by his house and pick it up... looks like from the people he hangs out with he lives in my town... or.. at least his plane was hanging with gordo's plane. He flies up at my field.

Anyways.. Thanks for the info. I will check into some of these.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Balsageek

If it's arf's you're wanting, go to http://www.extremeflightrc.com/XFRC-Main.htm and check out their edge. I haven't seen one personally, but from what I hear it's awesome. It's about 4 down on my list of the next planes to buy.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:24 PM
c016Y

Very Nice!! I like it.

Last question. You mentioned a webra 50.. is this what you are talking about:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=WEBE501

Is that the right model?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Balsageek

Thats the webra alright. I know, she's a little pricy but that engine is super light and an absolute MONSTER!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:45 PM
XpastywhiteboyX
My Feedback: (5)

get a top cap and put a saito 72 on it great combo
Old 03-21-2004, 07:12 PM
c016Y

That brings up another question I have. Webra 50 or saito 72. Why is 4 stroke better/worse. Which has more power/weight? Curious on the diff between 4 and 2.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:34 PM
tailspnr
My Feedback: (1)

Its just a matter of preference regarding the 2 vs 4 strokers. Ive always used 2 strokes and my personal fav is the Irvine .53. Ive developed a little more respect for the Webra 50 after attending the Houston Pro-Bro this past weekend.....but I still love my Irvines using a Tower Muffler. The one engine that I have seen that really strong but I dont recommend is the OS 50. I know of 4 guys that have these motors and everyone of them have had the bearings go out within the first 2 gallons of fuel. But the Saito 72 or YS 63 are also excellent choices....again personal preference.

Two choices.....if you want an ARF get the Extreme Edge. If you are willing to build a kit and this one may be better suited for your first profile, I'd recommend the Burrito. And dont get me wrong...the Burrito is an awsome flyer. It does the best flatspins, waterfalls, harriers and is extremely tough. Paul did an excellent job of designing this plane making it easy to build yet tough as nails.

And to answer your question, Paul Swanson lives in Memphis Tn but all the Bro's get together at various Pro-Bro Fun-Fly's accross this great country of ours. As a matter of fact Gordo and company were in Houston with us this past weekend. Check out the pics in the Profile Brotherhood forum.

Good luck to you and your future Profiling!!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 AM
TailTwister

Someone should mention that some of the older Morris Kits are tough to build. The directions and plans can be easily missunderstood. The Sledge is pretty easy, but some of the others can be a bear. Since you are new to the kit thing, I'd get an easy to build one. The OMP Edge and Yak don't look too tough to build, but I've never done one.

For a sweet ARF, the Extreme Flight Edge 540 may be my next plane. For $149, I doubt anyone will beat it soon.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:35 PM
c016Y

Yeah.. the Morris products I was looking at was the arf's. http://morrishobbies.com/default.php?cPath=22_149. Really never had any interest in kits. I hope the arf's aren't hard! I don't want to build.. I want to fly. limited time and all.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:53 PM
TailTwister

If you want an ARF, I'm back to the Extreme Flight Edge 540T. My preference would be the Saito 72 and the 14x4W APC prop.

I fly two 2 strokes and two 4 strokes. Until last season, I had never flown a 4 stroke at all. Now I wish had all 4 strokes.

The only negatives for 4 strokes, that I've come up with, are the annual valve checks (15 to 30 minutes a season), they like 20%+ nitro ($$$) and the fear that a bad crash will destroy the innerworkings of the valves themselves.

Positives are greater torque, they are less "needle finiky", and they are much quieter. The Saito 72 is as light, or lighter, than most 46 to 53 two strokes.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:12 PM
ifly04

i have used a evolution .46 on am omp edge 540 and it is great hovering at half throtle and awsome pullout. The only change made was to get rid of the stock muffler and get a macs tuned pipe that made a huge power increase. For a firtst profile the evolution is a great choice.

Brandon
Old 03-24-2004, 07:25 PM
tailspnr

Or Im sure the Tower muffler would help out the motor as well. Does the Evolution have the same exhaust bolt pattern as a OS46FX? Nice thing about the Tower muffler is the price......$15 shipped
Old 03-24-2004, 08:18 PM
c016Y

Evolution .46
Displacement: .455 cu in
Bore: .867 in
Stroke: .770 in
Total Weight: 19.52 oz
Crankshaft Threads: 1/4 x 28
Benchmark Prop: 9x6
RPM Range: 2,000-16,000 rpm

.46 FX
(OSMG0546)
disp 0.455
bore 0.870
stroke 0.770
rpm 2,000-17,000
weight 13.2

... The big thing I see is the 6 ounce extra weight and a loss of 1000 rpm from the evolution to the os. Is there something else I should look at?

tailspnr.. I have no idea what the muffler bolt pattern looks like on the tower muffler or the os. I would have to take it to my lhs to compare. I guess that could bring it up to where it is usable? How is that compared to the mac.

That is good news by the way on the evolution. ifly04 .. did you do anything special other than the pipe? And.. where can I find this pipe?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
tailspnr

The tower muffler can be found here. This pipe fits most 46 to 53 size motors so it very well may be the same bolt pattern as a Evo 46.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJB16&P=7

And here is a link to Mac Products. I dont personally have any experience with this pipe but I do know guys that use and like them on their 3D'in profiles.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ652&P=7
Old 03-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Spastic

you would never put a 9x6 on a profile but is that what was on os also?
bolts are the same for a tt, os, and tower 46 muffler
my mac header fits all 3
i have a good friend that tests engines on a dyno and the evo actualy liked to rev realy high, like 18000 rpm is what he drove it to, if i remember correctly, the weight does bother me though, i think the OS is without muffler.
And that 3 blade prop they use is a 10 X 3 (according to a prop guage) that is why it was so slow with it and it is intentional
just for comparison
My os 46fx spins a 12.25x3.75 at 13100rpm on 15% with a moose can pipe.
tt46 will do about the same, i'd bet the tower muffler would be about the same as my conservitave pipe, stock was about 11900 rpm(no baffle)
sorry for my spelling
i hope i didn't add to the confussion?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:03 AM
ifly04

other than the macs pipe i diddn't change anything on the motor. The reason I chose this engine over the os is was mostly cost working and trying to pay for college and planes the low cost won it for me. but i could not be happier with the engine. the bolt pattern is the same as an os. We tried it on a friends at the field and it made a huge differance on his os as well. 11.5x4 or 11x4 are best 3d props I have found for it.
good luck
probro
Old 03-27-2004, 11:32 PM
c016Y

Awesome.. I am glad to hear it will work some. What kind of tricks can you do with it ifly04.. and.. will it pull out of harrier pretty well? Unlimited verticle?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:25 AM
ifly04

mine has all the power needed to do any 3s trick me or a friend I fly with can do. Pull out of a hover with my allmost 5 pound plane is pretty good more than i ahve needed I find some other things to change on your motor though get rid of all the set right needle valve things. I also took the remote needle vavle off because of air leak problems.
good luck
Old 04-07-2004, 09:53 PM
kev_79

Take the baffle out of the evolution. I have this engine and it's been through a few wrecks. It still runs great, and turns up with my 46fx. 2 to 300 rpms different on using a apc 10x6 prop, but good enough for me.

I agree with balsa geek, try it and see what happens.

BTW, the OS is weighed without the muffler, is the evoloution?

k