Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP 80" Edge with gas questions

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP 80" Edge with gas questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 08:21 AM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP 80" Edge with gas questions

I am in the process of building my 80" OMP Edge kit. I have the wing and tail groups built and covered and am starting the fuselage. I plan on putting my FPE 3.2 gasser on it just because that is what i have sitting around without a plane. I know itwill be heavier than some of the others with glow power, but the way i look at it, it will still be a lot lighter and have more wing than some of the other planes i have had this motor on.

I have the motor mount figured out and have got my servos placed so that the CG balances pretty good. I routed out a 1/8-inch trough along the top and bottom of each side of the fuselage and glued in some carbon fiber. I replaced the thin ply fuselage doubler that is installed along the front fuselage with a bigger one that ties into the motor mount and tapers down to one inch wider than the wing and follows the wing shape towards the rear fuselage, ending about two inches behind the rear wing mount. Right now I am about 6oz heavier than the stock parts. With the gas motor and ignition battery i should be about one pound heavier than most with glow, but really shouldn't be all that much heavier than those running the 2.15 MVVS gasser.

My question is has anyone had problems with the gasser shaking the fuselages and tail to death? I am wondering if I need to run some stringers down the fuselage to add some rigidity to keep the gasser from shaking it to pieces. Anyone else that is using a gasser have any other suggestions? Thanks...

-Scott-
Old 04-05-2004, 01:26 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMP 80" Edge with gas questions

Scott,

I really can't commenton that setup as the 80" OMP Edge was not designed for that size engine. I believe that engine is very similar to the older style Brison 3.2 engines which are known for vibration but again I can not be sure. You may want to talk with Vic who built the MOAP with a DA 50! Info is on the OMP website.