Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Spacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Thanks John,

Ya the bird is capable of so much it's hard cropping it into a small clip. I see the youtube version hasn't done wonders for the quality, maybe someone will come along willing to host a higher res version of the clip.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Let me see what I can figure out Spacey. Tim or I will have to come up with an ftp account or similar to upload the video.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Spacey

Hi Mike,

Ya it's either that or me emailing the video to you guys and then you uploading it wherever. I can split the video into smaller .rar packages if you guys are limited on email size? I have a gmail account so emailing the whole giant thing is no problem on my side. There's nothing special about the video either way so I don't know if it's worth all the trouble.

Groete,
Rudolf
Old 03-18-2008, 07:18 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Excellent!!! Wasnt boring at all, I just watched it at home, You-Tube is blocked at work. Flying like that with only a few flights on it?! Impressive. Do you need lots of aileron to get those nice rolling harriers?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 AM
Spacey

Erm I wouldn't say alot? I haven't got it maxed out yet but I guess I'll have to somehow accurately measure it for you because like this we're not gettin an answer huh? Hehehe. You don't want to plane too roll too fast ever, BUT yes you want to pick the roll rate up so it's nice and comfortable like I had it when the plane's at around 45`. If you pick up the nose like I have it the roll will obviously slow down drastically to the point of "problem", drop the nose down and you wanna be quick on easing off the throttle or it rolls too fast and you will certainly start lacking with inputs to keep it flying. Glad you enjoyed the video, it's not my most fun video I've ever made but give me about 6 months on this plane and we'll probably do a round 2. Heheee
Old 03-19-2008, 08:19 AM
MIXMASTER

Rolling harriers w/ my Fusion are a little sluggish, not like my Velox which does them like crazy. I've been working on em, getting better, just wonder if aileron travel is the answer, anyhoo, I'll try more the next time out. On the vid: I especially liked the hover/grab, try that you giant scale guys!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 AM
AFSalmon

It's not the plane as it has plenty of roll. What servos are you using in the rons? Put good quick digitals there and it opens a whole new world of precision. Doing point rollers and reversing rollers are one of the best showcases of teh Fusion. Very crisp. Check out the Andrew Jesky video if you have not seen it.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Spacey

I'll check out my throws tonight. I spent the weekend at the rents out of town so I didn't get around to much I'm afraid. I lucked out on the rates on my bird with it as is and admittingly still want to spend some quality time myself setting it up for a smooth managable roll rate for the rolling stuff. I have to however now start setting up some flight modes so I can get the precision stuff sorted for the little pattern flying I want to do with it. Oh joy!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
MIXMASTER

I took it out over the weekend & tried refining the rollers, I noticed they are much better if I modify the timing of elevator & rudder a little . (I forgot to dial in more ail though, duh). I think I was holding elev longer than necessary, its better if I just go to max throw for a shorter time period & then get off it sooner. It was a steady 10-15, I practiced HE KE hovers, this plane can do it like no other. First I started a hover, the wind moved it away some, then I kicked some rudder to HA KE, let it come back to me, then pop a hover again-was doing it DOD too-fun!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:33 AM
Spacey

Aaaah the timing issue...can't teach me anything about that one no! LOL. I also started trimming my bird this past weekend, got two good flights in dialing in mixes to fix the verticals (rudder to throttle), dual rates and expos. Got a bit of a funny one myself with the plane rolling much faster the one way compared to the other. We were dialing down throws for the patten work to nice and slow roll rates so they're controllable and noticed it more and more as the roll rate decreased. We figured it must have something to do with the torque of the motor as it didn't seem like the plane wasn't rolling axial or anything, fixed it by just adjusting the dual rate for each direction. Boy am I glad I don't have to mix out knife edge coupling! Hehe

I'm nearly done trimming the low rates, all I still want to give some attention to is the snaps and spins but they look half decent already. When all this is done I'll go back to my 3D rates and quickly fine tune that also, I wasn't too happy with the rates when doing switching rolling harriers myself.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 AM
AFSalmon

Spacey, on my Fusion I have the low rates on the elevator set to about 50% and 60% for rudder. The low rate for ailerons is 85% because I like very crisp roll response. This comes in handy when doing switching roll maneuvers.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Spacey

Hi Mike,

Yeah ditto on liking the crisp roll response. With my setup as is I'll trypically when I go into freestyle mode switch rudder and aileron to high rates while leaving elevator on low. I use alot of expo on my rudder so with everything like this I can still have blistering roll rates for hesitation rolls and and while keeping a enough precise control with the elevator on low and the rudder's expo. We however have some consecutive rolling work on the schedule I want to start in the pattern with so I dialed my aileron low rates down to something like 34/37 now, Fusion does something like a 2 second roll now...maybe a fart faster. I prefer to be able to lock over my aileron when doing this sort of thing so I can worry about the rest, guess it's just personal prefference. We did the same on the F3C helis and dialed our roll rates down to a 2,2~2,5 second roll rate so we can make the 4 seconds minimum roll reversal...set and forget. I actually do the same with my tail rotor dual rates on the heli so I get around a 6+ second piro rate for my hovering manuvers, easier to lock the rudder over and focus on the pitch. I can't say thay my ideas will work for the pattern untill I fly my first little comp but ok so far this is my plan. Heheh
Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
MIXMASTER

I use Hitec 5625's for ail, digis & about 125oz I think. Not the fastest but enough torque. I wonder if this could be too slow for the Fusion?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Spacey

Dunno about them being too slow? My servos are only 0.21s/60 on my Fusion.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 AM
AFSalmon

ORIGINAL: Spacey

Dunno about them being too slow? My servos are only 0.21s/60 on my Fusion.
That is knida slow Spacey. Step up to a good digital like the Hitec 5965s or even the non-digital 965s. The Fusion really wakes up with fast aileron servos.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Spacey

Nah, for me on the planes torque/holding torque and precision is a bigger factor than speed. You start seeing sloppy response real quickly when you have servos that doesn't have great holding torques like some Multiplex servos. Speed really only starts showing up with the planes when you hit the 30's. On my helis I like having speedy servos especially for the precision hovering but then also the only servo I'll ever buy for a heli untill JR comes up with something better is the 8915's (12kg/0.09s), been using those in both my Sylphides and my Vibe .50. If I were to buy something better for the Fusion it would be those but I wouldn't spend that money on an aeroplane unless it's a 2X2. The DS8321's are more than fast enough for me right now, I can nail lightning fast point rolls right where I want them so no problems there.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 AM
MIXMASTER

The 5625's are 130oz/.14sec@6V, 5965 are 132oz./.10sec@6V. Not much difference there, 4/100 of a second, less than the blink of an eye.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Spacey

Hey you forgot the 2oz!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 AM
AFSalmon

I'd have to disagree on the speed topic. There is no doubt you can feel the difference between a .20 speed servo and a .10 speed servo on a high perfromance plane. I have set up a lot of Fusions for folks and used all kinds of servos. A high quality fast digital servo makes a world of difference compared to a slow analog servo. The bottomline though is whether or not the pilot likes the "feel" of the plane so to each their own. If you are happy with the servos and performance then that's what it is all about. I just got done helping a local friend set up a Fusion (covered in the USAF Thunderbird scheme) and we test flew it last night. He is an intermediate pilot and used only medium torque Futaba analog servos. Nothing special. He flys smooth loops and rolls and that is all he wants to do for now. He was so happy last night I thought he was going to cry.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Spacey

LOL...hey I know that feeling!

Look we agree for the most part at least? I definitely enjoy the precision of the digital 9.6kg servos I have in it now, they've always been well known to be very precise servos and why the guys here used to use them in F3C helicopters. I just never really give anywhere near as many inputs when flying the planes as I do flying the helicopters and on the helis my hovering definitely improved when I switched from the 0.21s to 0.09s servos. On the planes I just haven't found it to be a problem, like you said however it probably depends on people's flying styles and such.

BTW you get my last email I sent you? I haven't heard anything back from you of John?

Beste groete,
Rudolf
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM
MIXMASTER

9.6kg??!! what are you using, Hitec 5955's??!! Thats enough torque to launch the plane!!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Spacey

JR DS8321's all around. 9.6kg is not all that much? What, something like 133oz in funny measurements?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you guys have to add expo when using a faster servo? I have a 6V pack in my 67" Fusion. I had to add expo compared to the 52" Fusion. It could be the 67" is just more responsive. The first flight though I was just breathing on the elev. It was very touchy. I am also a thumb flyer and I use the full range of stick movement. I flew a friends plane last year using a JR9303. It had a ring around the right stick to limit the movement. I kept banging it.

David
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Spacey

Aaah the dreaded cyclic ring for the helicopters. Wouldn't want one of those on a aeroplane radio no. Personally don't use one for the helis either. I've also found the elevator on the big Fusion to be a little twitchy once you get the CG right for 3D, alot of expo fixes this yes. Kinda like it's just a little nervous around the centre with big throws. You can also dial the elevator throw down considerably like my pattern setup then the expo can be removed but yes then you will need to switch between high and low rates.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Spacey. I don't fly heli's so I forgot what the ring was called. I switch rates all the time. I use a different switch for each of the ELEV,rudder and AILE. It's what I am used to. I am glad to hear your elev is like mine. My CG is a 8-3/8". Hands off inverted it dives just a little with a full tank. I must be close to the right spot.

Thanks Again, David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.