Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Spacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why you love the OMP Fusion?

Hey guys!

Good news I reckon. Finished up my Fusion last night apart from setup and final balancing....just another couple of hours of work left I guess. Everything's mounted and installed otherwise and looking good. At the moment it looks like my AUW dry is 3,250kg (7,11lbs). I'm looking about 1/4 inch nose heavy so sitting at 8 1/2" now rather than 8 3/4" but I'm going to try moving the battery to the TE of the wing as it's currently in the LE. If it doesn't need any erratic balancing weights I guess I can keep it around 3,3kg without fuel. I hope my scale can measure the big weights accurately but I'm going to weigh the parts individually tonight to confirm the AUW etc. So far so good! I'm actually a little sad the build came to an end now, I really enjoyed it.

More to come over the weekend.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 AM
krillbill vol1

Congrats!!!!!!!Fly her at 8.5 back ya might like it.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Flying's always better than building to me, try it at 8.5 if you already have it locked in, I bet it flys pretty good there too.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Question for Mike P.

I'm guessing that the supply of 90 size Fusions is getting low. I earmarked some cash for a Razoryak[sm=teeth_smile.gif].

Can you say whether or not there will ever be another run of Fusion ARF's?

Thanks,

JW
Old 02-22-2008, 11:01 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

JW, yes indeed there will be another run of Fusion ARFs but probably late summer to next Fall as I have several other projects in the works. Actually the new 80" Fusion will arrive before the smaller ones are redone. As you know we are also working with Brent on RazorYak ARFs.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:31 PM
John Wells

Thanks Mike. I can't pass up a Razoryak ARF. They're awesome with a Saito 100.

Patiently waiting on them

JW
Old 02-23-2008, 07:40 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

ORIGINAL: John Wells

Patiently waiting on them

JW

Me too. Can't wait.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 AM
Spacey

Hey everyone!

Fusion's ready for maiden today, that's if something doesn't come up at the most impossible time of course (knock on wood). CG came out acceptable and I left it as is for the moment, it's easily adjustable at the field now so we'll first see how it goes. AUW without fuel is officially 3,350kg (7lbs 7oz). Definitely not as light as I wanted it to be but my friend at the LHS agrees to flying it first and making impressions from that rather than speculating now and getting sleepless nights over possibly nothing. If all fails however the girlfriend's trainer is getting a shiny Saito 1.25 on the nose and borrowing me the 1.20AX that's on there now. We'll get some in flight pictures and things today if everything goes as planned.

Hold thumbs!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22687.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	887116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68857.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	887117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18284.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	887118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83437.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	887119  
Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Man, that is the nicest fusion I have seen! I need a 90 size now!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Spacey

Flies really nice too!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58071.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	887522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57192.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	887523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88261.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	887524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24267.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	887525  
Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 AM
AFSalmon

Spacey, that is one badass Fusion man. Love the scheme! Get some video of that bird flying.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:38 AM
MIXMASTER

Its awesome looking, I'd get a poster size pic of it! It was OMP day at the field here in SJ, I had the Fusion & a friend had his 80" Edge profile. He built the kit, used some contest balsa to get 11lb plane w/OS 1.60, tuned pipe, 80" fat wing, perfect for 3-D. I got a video of some huckin & tail touchin, will upload it soon, the Edge was especially cool, hovers were so low & close in.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Spacey

Mike: I'm considering making a little video for memory sure, want to convince my one friend who has a decent video camera to help out so we can do something proper rather than the old grainy stuff that my still shot puts out. But yea I'll first see if I can get the plane trimmed and balanced, Sunday's flight was litterally an up and down as the wind was absolutely terrible. It was basically parked in place on that knife edge shot, we were just lucky to get a slight gap when it died down to get that inverted harrier shot.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
RCToon

I am just getting my Fusion 90 with O.S.120AX ready and ran into a list of questions:

1. Which servo do I use for the throttle. The space provided is small for a regular servo and big for a mini/micro.
2. We have to use 24" servo lead extensions for rudder and elevator? I wish the website or manual mentioned a complete list of items required to complete the plane. I dont have a hobby store near where I live and there is no quick mail order available either.
3. I saw some pics in this post with wheel pants that looked really cool. Are they a part of the arf? i didnt get any wheel pants.
4. The wheel axels are regular screws with threads on them? thats sad, they will wear out the plastic hubs in no time. I had to replace it with proper axels i had from another project.
5. Where is the receiver installed? in the wing? Wouldnt field assembly of the plane be difficult if we have to connect all the servos into the receiver on the field? Has anyone installed the receiver in the fuslage? I have a Spektrum 7, the receivers are really small but i cant figure out where/how to install it.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 AM
MIXMASTER

Yes the extensions are quite long, I think mine were either 18" or 24" too. I have the rcv. in the fuse rear opening, I had to open it up a little to allow foam padding. The antenna is routed down to the bottom under the opening and to the rear of the plane. The rcv. is a "mid-size" & it does stick outside the fuse a little, had to open up the wing openings a bit too, they are doubled so strength not an issue to me. The best method of connecting the ailerons & power is using a "Y" harness on the aileron channel with the battery in the hatch area. This method works well, you are supplying the power thru the aileron channel, not the highest channel whis is the norm. This way, you have the normal 2 aileron connectors to plug in, nothing more. The difference is you are supplying the battery power thru the aileron connector as well. Get a "ball driver" with long handle for the wing bolt, its a pain with regular allen wrench.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 AM
John Wells

Same here, I opened up the rear fuse slot and the corresponding wing slots. I routed my antenna out the top, but either top or bottom will work. My receiver stays in the fuselage. The only wires I have to hook up at the field are the ailerons, and I too use a ball driver. The Y-harness is the way to go on this setup.

JW
Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
RCToon

Thanks Mixmaster and John.
I am going to use a Spektrum radio and the reciever has a seperate jack for the battery. Any idea if I HAVE to use that? Or can I supply power through the alieron channel? I guess this is a question for the spektrum suppot guys...
Old 02-29-2008, 11:00 AM
MIXMASTER

My best guess is the rcv. has to have a "bus bar" type power to all the channels, all the channels need power for the servos so there has to be a common connection to all channels. Doesnt matter which channel the power comes in on, they are all connected to the battery. Wouldnt hurt to verify that or put it to a "test" on the bench. If you have an ohm meter you can check for a zero reading w/o the battery connected or a DVM with power on & check all the power pins to see if +4.8 or 6V is present. The "zero" reading is from one power pin to another, should be very low ohms since they are all connected.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Spacey

Spektrum recievers are the same as others in this regard. My Fusion in the pictures fly with a AR7000 hooked up the with the Y-lead thing. Only thing to beware of is that the reciever can NOT be binded in this way, you still have to get the bind plug into the bat socket.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:16 AM
RCToon

One more question please, again perhaps it should be in the Spektrum forum...but
How do you connect the two elevator servos? If I use a Y lead the servos run opposite to each other. I know these are digital servos so I could probably program them, but I dont have a programmer and no one I know has one either. Is there any other way?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Depending on your radio you may just be able to program them in as 2 elevator servos and be able to reverse one. If not, then you can use a reversing "y" or get a reverse rotation servo. The reversing "y" is not the best option but it will work if that is what you have. You may also be able to reverse the servo rotation your self but it requires taking the servo apart and re-soldering wires.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why would you need to reverse an aileron servo when using dual servo's? You just connect your pushrod on one to the opposite side of the horn or wheel. When looking down at the top of the servo, one should have the pushrod to the left of center and the other to the right. If both servo's rotate in the same direction at the same time, one is now pulling and one is pushing. If they turn opposite directions at the same time, put the pushrods on the same side.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

He said ELEV not AILE.

David
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
RCToon

ORIGINAL: AKFireMedic

Depending on your radio you may just be able to program them in as 2 elevator servos and be able to reverse one. If not, then you can use a reversing "y" or get a reverse rotation servo. The reversing "y" is not the best option but it will work if that is what you have. You may also be able to reverse the servo rotation your self but it requires taking the servo apart and re-soldering wires.
Why isnt a reversing Y the best option? isnt it the simplest? My Spektrum radio has 7 channels and I dont think I can connect 2 alieron servos and 2 elevator servo on 4 channels and program them.
Putting a reversing Y lead sounds easier than programming a digital servo or opening it and resoldering something
Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 PM
JDXX

RCToon,

You should really check the Spektrum furum I have a DX7 and I believe I saw a thread about just your question in there.

JDXX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.