RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Profile and Fun Flying Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/)
-   -   It does exist: The Hovering Cobra (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/profile-fun-flying-planes-105/425884-does-exist-hovering-cobra.html)

TERMAGATOR 03-19-2003 03:37 AM

It does exist: The Hovering Cobra

Nice Job Andy

You build very fast...wish I could...Gator

wagas 03-19-2003 01:10 PM

Thanks GATOR

The secret is to wake up at 4:30 AM when the wife and kids are a sleeping to work on things.

contempo 03-19-2003 03:01 PM

Coooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!

wagas,

That transparent green looks good on your cobra! What engine are you using?

wagas 03-19-2003 03:39 PM

I'm using a TT Pro 46 w/APC 11 x 4 prop. CG is at 7 1/4 from trailing edge. For now and mine came out a tad tail heavy. I even built the tail with less sticks than the plans show. Futuba 148's all around for servos.

Thanks!

contempo 03-19-2003 03:56 PM

Let us know how she flies.

wagas 03-24-2003 01:17 PM

Well She flew this weekend.

I have to say it's a blast to fly. Not as quick as a regular fun fly but still a blast. I removed all the nose weight I had after the 1st flight cause it's so stable. I started with a CG at around 7 3/4 inches from trailing edge. I would say I'm at about 7 inches now.

I don't like the pull pull set up I'm using (spiderwire fishing line) but it does the job.

Of course the only thing I'm doing with this airplane is hovering, which it does quite well. By the 4th flight I was hand launching this into a hover, a little over half throttle as I hold it vertical and let go. (TT pro 46 w/ APC 11 x 4 Prop)

Very stable and for a 40 size it torque rolls rather well. This is the first airplane I can actually torque roll with out aileron input. Knife edge all day if you want verly little to no coupling required, Snaps are very sluggish, stalls are just nose drops. I was kind of suprised the the ailerons are not as response (quick) as I would like them to be in on high rates, I need to crank more throw into them.

I still would like to build another one and put regular landing gear on with a stronger fuse. I have to add triangle stock to the fuse/wing area as it broke free after 2nd landing. (thank goodness for on hand super glue)

Hang'en round R 03-24-2003 09:34 PM

Hey guy's if your not care full at night this will happen to you if you lose sight of it with glow sticks on!!!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/attachment...&postid=789299
Later,
Kyle

YNOT 03-25-2003 12:26 AM

You PUNK!!!

Can't believe you did me that way.

That plane had a great life. Hundreds and hundreds of flights, may have hit a thousand, not too sure.

It was pulled from retirement just for the Houston Pro Bro, got a new motor and flew with all the glory that the Cobra deserved. In fact, you failed to mention the hovering and 3D show it did, at night, with no lights. Someone had to get a pic of that.

It went out with glory. I feel honored just to have owned one.

Oh yea, I have a new kit...........it will live again.

wagas 03-25-2003 12:28 PM

Hey that looks rebuildable. I can't see the rest of the wing but it looks like it's not that bad. Just cut the fuse out from around the wing and build another one.....

Hang'en round R 03-27-2003 06:36 PM

Ya thats the thing the Cobra had a very good life and it was time for the cobra to leave. But Ynot does have a new hovering cobra in the box. This cobra had one last good flight on the last day that it lived. It did fly in the dark for the last time!!! With out any glow sticks on it!! After dark is about the best time to fly these types of airplanes!!! Cause there is no wind and the skill that it takes to keep it in close so you can see it. Me and tony have had very good flights after dark and many mid-airs!!! Although not with the cobra!! Flying after dark is fun and exciting with out any lights!!! I can tell you one thing for sure that there will be another cobra born within a few weeks!!!
Later,
Kyle
Oh can't wait till we get three cobras in action to get down and dirty after dark!!!!!!!!!!!

contempo 04-16-2003 03:01 PM

Cobra Build...1st night

1 Attachment(s)
Started building my first "cloned" Hovering Cobra last night. I ordered a lot of balsa stock so I could weigh each individual piece for optimum weight reduction. It is amazing the difference in balsa weights. Some cuts of the same stock varied as much as 4-5 grams! I completed the horizontal stab and the rudder. Built stock with the exception of going with 1/8" x 1/4" stock for the diagonal braces instead of the 1/4" square stock on the plans. This is suggested in the manual, so I figured every little bit of weight savings in that long tail would be good. Weight of these components is 1.25 ozs ! Edges have not even been beveled or rounded yet! I am hoping to achieve a flying weight of 4lbs with standard radio gear and an OS .46fx. I will try to get the fuselage done tonight. That's only 8 pieces to glue together, shouldn't be a problem.

contempo 04-16-2003 03:02 PM

1st night continued....

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the rudder.

wagas 04-16-2003 06:41 PM

saving weight

On mine I omitted the cross bracing (the "X" format that the plans show for building the horz stab) I thought it was overkill and alot more work than I wanted to do. If you look at my PIC #3 you can see what I'm talking about.

I've been flying mine and think it's a hoot to fly but SO fragile. It's funny to watch this thing when doing violent manuevers. The tail looks like it's going to twist off. Also, when flying in the wind for some reason my tail (entire back of fuse) starts wagging back and forth like a dogs tail. I get a lot of laughs when that happens. It's still completely controlable but funny looking. Oh, this is when it's at almost idle pointing into the wind. It stops as soon as i throttle up. Don't ask me I don't know why.

GREAT Hoverer, you can do it as long as you want. I think I will end up getting rid of it though as I'm starting to get bored with it. just have to see. The wing and tail are great and i would love to build a stronger Fuse that can be removed and mount a .61 on it as this is a bigger than normal profile (it's hard to fit in the car.) Plus I would do away with the single wheel. I would just use gear like the menace has. I get tired of hand launching this thing.

I can hover w/TT pro 46 and 11 x 4 prop at about 1/2 throttle with instant pull out.

contempo 04-16-2003 07:26 PM

Flying...

wagas,

What about knife edge flying?
Will it do waterfalls?

Hang'en round R 04-17-2003 12:34 AM

Ya these things will do a real nice knife edge hover in good wind!!
Hey try it!!!
Later,
Kyle

wagas 04-17-2003 12:38 AM

Yes Knife edge forever with just a tad bit of coupling. If I could get more throw out of my rudder I would say it would do knife edge loops with ease. (I'm using standard servo control horn and just can't get that much throw on the pull pull set up that I want.) Water Falls, Hhmm If I'm understanding what a water fall is I would say they look more like really tight loops than a flip. I can get mine to flip once but after that it just does a loop before I can get another flip out of it.

Hang'en round R 04-17-2003 12:40 AM

The thing to try with this airplane is inverted flat spin, brush the tail in high grass, pop up into a hover, tail touch, then do an climbing inverted flat spin out of it!!
Later,
Kyle

Dylwad 04-20-2003 05:57 AM

I would love a set of plans for this, if anyones willing, i think scaled down it would make a great parkflyer electric

Any takers?

Dylan

contempo 04-22-2003 01:31 PM

Hovering Cobra Clone Construction

1 Attachment(s)
Easter festivities kept me from working on the Cobra until last night. The Fuselage is completed (except for rounding the edges). I was surprised at how well the parts fit! I used 30 minute epoxy to laminate the fuselage parts together. The fuse is stronger than I expected.

I wonder if carbon fiber cloth can be laser cut? Then the fuse core could be strengthened by sandwiching the carbon cloth between the balsa core and the ply skins. :rolleyes:

This thing is going to be lite! Tonight I begin the wing.

contempo 04-22-2003 01:36 PM

Cobra Clone (Wing Ribs)

1 Attachment(s)
Wing ribs removed from their sheets, ready for assembly tonight. The main spars have been laminated as well. The design of the wing is interesting. Balsa spars with no sheer webbing or bracing. Probably shouldn't attempt any "blenders". :D

contempo 04-23-2003 12:59 PM

Cobra Clone (wing construction)

1 Attachment(s)
Began wing construction last night. I was checking the servo plates to make make sure my gear would fit, and discovered that I needed to enlarge the servo openings about 3/32" . Easier to do now before those plates get glued in! Here is were the construction is at now.

wagas 05-06-2003 10:06 AM

Any Update Contemp?

contempo 05-06-2003 01:03 PM

Delays, delays, and more delays!

Sorry about the lapse. Haven't had much time to work on the Cobra. I have added the cap strips and leading edge sheeting to the bottom of the wing. I have also constructed the radio bay hatch and fit the servos. I will try and resume construction tommorrow. We had a nasty storm Friday afternoon (70 mph winds) and all day Saturday was spent cleaning up. Sunday was great weather...I went flying!

Constrictor 12-04-2013 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by wagas (Post 425908)
Pic 3

how much $$$ you askin?

Dansy 12-04-2013 04:57 AM

Talk about reviving an old tread :) wish I could have another one with electric power.......that would be sweet.