Q-40 Racing Discuss AMA 422 and any other variants of Quarter 40 racing

Q-fuel line source

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q-fuel line source

Does anyone know what the manufacturer trade name is for the 'rigid' silicone fuel tubing we prefer that doesnt kink & squeeze off as much as the regular sport grade stuff? I want to order a spool. Seems to me it used to be Prather, but they are long gone. The closest equivalent I can find at the hobby shop is Dubro medium 'super blue?' or something to that effect. And even it seems a tad less rigid / wall thickness vs the pink stuff like on Jett tanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:46 PM
kane

Default RE: Q-fuel line source

Fuel lines? what the heck are you using this for?

Try sullivan. This is what I use for fuel shut-off as it pinches quite nicely. Not quite as nicely as the sphincter in the middle of winter in Canada though!

DK
Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Dan, I have gone away from the "stiff" stuff on all my racers. I like the flexible sullivan medium line (actually quite small) works perfect, expecially for shut offs.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Nasty boy DK! Canucks only use sphincter-pinching to make complex illustrations or long text messages or in the snow. That’s why we drink ‘your’ beer in summer & save ‘our’ beer for winter - the higher alc% keeps the S-pipe free & clear of ice plugs!

Actually, I got the pinch / fuel cut-off part down pat even on the thick tubing. I drill the shutoff wire ‘U’ right adjacent to the motormount firewall ring so it shuts off flow with less servo grunting vs an outright squeeze against the firewall. But last summer I noticed the engine going lean in the air even if it was slobbering on the ground, which it never did before. I finally traced it to spongey, thin wall sport stuff when I changed the lines. Ill check out your medium grade rec, thx.

Another question since you are still an Electron Sicko. On my Q40s I followed the local tradition of installing rubber grommets in the glass fuse so it doesn’t eventually cut trough the fuel lines with vibration. But ¼” od lines require big bejesus donut size grommets & 3/8” holes in the fuse. Have you ever seen/used braided sheathing material like for protecting cables?

http://www.techflex.com/prod_PTN.asp

http://cableorganizer.com/wire-management/
Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
kane

W.T.M.I. (Way too much information, as my 7yr old would say) I knew you guys were a couple of crayons short of a full box! "Long text messages..." you should put this one up on youtube.

I have also been running the same tubing for the pressure line.

As far as grometts go... I don't use them. I pull the tank to inspect it before the next contest and change the lines at the same time.

If you were to try something, I think the plastic stuff used to dress cable harnesses might do nicely. Ultimately, I don't think it is necessary. But having said that, I will eat my words when the it happens to me.

DK
Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
wrstew
My Feedback: (30)

Yea, Murphy is alive and well. How about a short length of heat shrink tube (shrunk ya know) in the area where it would pass thru the fuse? Should toughen it up where you need it, leaving the rest flexible. A thought......... Randy
Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Racerdad

I have found that Brodak Manufacturing, makers of fine control line kits, has the same pink fuel line as the Prather used to be. Comes in small, medium and large. Order numbers are BH-932, BH-933, BH-934. The other lines mentioned above work well also, but I have remained with the pink tubing. Hope this helps.

Tom Strom Sr.