Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Need help with tank placement on Predator...

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Need help with tank placement on Predator...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 03:11 AM
idranoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with tank placement on Predator...

The directions have it in the very front where it barely fits and will be enclosed completely. Is this the best setup? What if I want to change the gas lines or change tanks or change the pickup line in the tank? I'll have to cut through the fuse to get to it (or pry that hatch off). I saw a picture of a predator where the person had it mounted behind that first fuse former that is right at the leading edge of the wing. Is that a better place, and if so, will the stock tank fit there?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-02-2003, 07:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Need help with tank placement on Predator...

Originally posted by Idranoel
Is that a better place, and if so, will the stock tank fit there?

Thanks,

Dan
Yes Dan that is the preferred place as this will minimize CG change as the fuel is consumed, sometimes referred to as a CG tank. However If I remember correctly the tank that comes with it are just standard tanks and they will not function properly in this reward position and must be forward up front.

The tanks that will operate properly on the CG are either the Jett or Tetra 'Bubbless tanks' that have an internal bladder and the pressure line is introduced between the flexable inner bladder and hard outer shell. These tanks perform very well on the CG. They do require fueling with a syringe in order to vacate the air before pushing the fuel in. Check the Jett website for a tutorial on there use and for tanks as well as syringes (tankers).

If you use the standard tank you will have to grind a hole through the #1 bulkhead for clearance and wrap some filament tape around the tank with a pull tab sticking out the rear for removal. I much prefer not to install an upper or lower access hatch as a lot of nose strength is lost that way.

John
Old 08-03-2003, 04:58 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Default Predator Tank Placement

Hi Dan. Here are a couple of photos of the tank placement on my Predator.

The rear of the tank is pretty much right on the CG line.

Spence
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98754_588.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	56156  
Old 08-03-2003, 04:59 PM
smaze17

Default Pic 2

Pic 2

Name:	98755_588.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	56157  
Old 08-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I did not epoxy the tank cover. Mounted two small wood blocks to the former at the back and used 4 small screws (two in the firewall) to attach it to the fuselage.
As you mentioned, just in case....
Old 08-04-2003, 01:51 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice installation, but ...

... I'd wrap that receiver in soft foam rubber and let it "float." Tied down to the bottom sheeting like that, it's going to soak up every beat of that little rotating trip-hammer up front.

Just FYI ...
Old 08-05-2003, 05:15 PM
smaze17

Default Vibration

Hi DHG.

In the past I definitely would have agreed with you, however, I have performed range checks with the receiver wrapped and also just resting on velcro with the engine at idle & at full and they come out identical as far a distance goes.

It is a good idea to wrap the receiver in foam for the purposes of crash protection but after one of these things goes in, the fact that the receiver is wrapped in foam usually becomes a moot point.

Sincerely,

Spencer Maze
Old 08-06-2003, 02:06 AM
idranoel

Smaze17,

Is the tank you have pictured there the stock tank? If so, did you modify that former that is in the way? Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-06-2003, 12:50 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

SMaze,

"In the past I definitely would have agreed with you, however, I have performed range checks with the receiver wrapped and also just resting on velcro with the engine at idle & at full and they come out identical as far a distance goes.

It is a good idea to wrap the receiver in foam for the purposes of crash protection but after one of these things goes in, the fact that the receiver is wrapped in foam usually becomes a moot point."

As far as range... you are correct... the idea of wrapping the receiver in foam is to isolate the vibration as much as possible to keep the receiver parts intact as long as possible and the good range associated with a properly working receiver. When they crash... all bets are off... however... if you wrap it well in foam and don't put the battery behind it... the receivers are surprisingly survivable. That's MHO anyway.

Dan
Old 08-07-2003, 09:04 AM
bob21
My Feedback: (11)

i would get rid of the stock tank there to big and heavy and buy a sulivan slim line or a bubblese tank wich is the best by the way from tettra tanks.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:12 AM
SSAN

Here's were I placed all my fuel tank, right on the CG of the plane at 3 1/4" from the leading edge. This works great and never have any problems in term of flight trim whether it's full or empty.

Name:	100355_2516.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	56158