Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

What prop for OS .46 w/ Viper 500?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

What prop for OS .46 w/ Viper 500?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:40 AM
markind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What prop for OS .46 w/ Viper 500?

Hi guys I am new to nitro engines in general and am not sure what prop to use with my OS Max .46?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Depends on what muffler you are running. If running a stock muffler try an APC 9x7 sport prop, if upgraded to a Jett or Ultrathrust muffler then APC 9x7.5 pylon prop.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:06 AM
markind

Ah thanks! Yes it's a stock setup and I am glad you didn't suggest a 10" or longer prop, because the ground clearance is pretty tight.

I was thinking I could add a sturdy block just over the landing strut to increase the clearance if I wanted to try a longer prop, but now I don't think I need to bother with that. I've already got a little extra clearance because I am running with 4" wheels, which I am hoping will let me takeoff and land on grass...
Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 AM
speedracerntrixie

Where are you flying a Viper off grass? Yes the gear is set up for 2..25" racing wheels and 9" or smaller props.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we fly Q500 off grass all the time at our field, with "normal" 2.25" racing wheels. We do keep the runway grass pretty short, though.

Full power takeoffs with someone holding the plane usually result in the wheels not really being on the ground for all that long..
Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

We raced Q-500 planes with OS 45 engines for ten years, 10 to 12 races a year. Best prop for above 75 degrees 10/7, under 75 degrees 9.5 X 8.5n or 9.5 X 8n APC. Those give you fastest time on Pylon course.
Q500Racing.com
Old 02-20-2014, 01:24 PM
markind

Originally Posted by fizzwater2
we fly Q500 off grass all the time at our field, with "normal" 2.25" racing wheels. We do keep the runway grass pretty short, though.

Full power takeoffs with someone holding the plane usually result in the wheels not really being on the ground for all that long..
Thanks! That is useful info. I am getting close to doing the maiden, just need props. I got a handful from Phil's Hobbies on the way.

What else can I expect from the Viper? Does it like to land hot, needing lots of runway, or can I float it in with a nice flair?

Once it touches down, what can I expect for rudder response?

Any other tips come to mind? I am a bit antsy for the upcoming first flight!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:31 PM
speedracerntrixie

Viper is really nothing more then a fast trainer. It's light for it's wing area. if it's coming in too hot then it's nose heavy. You said you are flying from grass so roll out shouldn't be more then 20 ft. I am still curious where you plan to fly it. I know the flying sites around here pretty well and the only sites I know about that are grass are electric only. BTW Sheldons has a crap load of the APC Pylon and sport props in stock suitable for Q500.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:48 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Or maybe just deadstick it. Q-500 aircraft deadstick very well. Those high pitch props can make slowing down a little tricky with a clean design like that.Even at idle.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM
edalves68

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch for a bounce on landing, (paved runway/hardpan) make sure when you touch down you neutralize the elevator, or if you are really practiced land on one wheel and put some down elevator input to make it stick. Grass will pretty much make it a lot easier especially if you get it slowed down. V tail rudder response can be limited. All the guys I have learned from all say it flys just the same as a trainer. For the most part it's true with just a couple twists. I'm not sure that it's going to excel at touch and go's. As mentioned above, we practice dead stick landings as is normal after a race heat. Have fun!

Last edited by edalves68; 02-21-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM
edalves68

Grimmace,

Bring up your viper and come race with us in Billings, June 7th and 8th! Looks like there will be some other Coloradians coming up to Big Sky Country this summer!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:23 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by edalves68
Grimmace,

Bring up your viper and come race with us in Billings, June 7th and 8th! Looks like there will be some other Coloradians coming up to Big Sky Country this summer!!!
I will have to keep that in mind. Love it up there. I flew in 3 of the Combat championships, and another early combat warm up. Nothing warm about it though as it was in April!

I have an EF1 ready. I would have to throw a Viper together. I have a wing and fuse, but not assembled. Trying to get ready for the Nats this year for scale. So we shall see.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 PM
edalves68

Hope you can make, June is always a lot nicer than April!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch out for VG - he knows how to needle an engine with the best of them. His CL combat days have served him well.

Kurt
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 AM
edalves68

We have a 60 foot paved circle at BFM,(little rough). I maintain it with the help of a few others. It's been there since the club field was purchased. I'm gonna have a fun fly, control line day on April 26th. Probably just a couple of us, and some on lookers. I'm dummying up some half A Sterling cubs. Try to teach my 5 year old to fly. I wish the surface was not paved for that LOL! I'll have a Brodak Buster with an FP25 out there as well. Should be fun, make some noise, turn some circles! Bring your CL planes, your ama card and come join us. Just a short ride from CO guys!!!!

Last edited by edalves68; 02-27-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 AM
vertical grimmace

I flew a .36 size CL combat model as a demo flight at one of your RC scale combat championships. I wanted everyone to see what a well designed model was capable of from a turning standpoint. The Open class was just getting started then. I still have a bunch of CL stuff. Billings in April?!!!! I kinda got scared the last time I did that. Maybe I would bring one to a race,if I can make it.

You will be running 424? I kinda want one of those fiberglass fuselages from Matney (Viperdog?) for that. Are they legal for that class? I forgot.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM
edalves68

Hey VC,

42416.3.1. Airframe.
The airframe specifications for this event are identical to those for Quickie 500 (Event No. 428) with the following exceptions: Wing and tail construction. Wings and tails must be constructed of either all wood or wood sheeting over a solid foam core. Wings and tails manufactured in molds designed to produce hollow core structures are prohibited. Traditional fiberglass reinforcement, carbon fiber or inset wood spars continue to be acceptable. The last three inches of each wingtip may be made of any material. The intent of the rule is to keep the cost

Thanks, Ed

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM
markind

Thanks again guys, for all the tips. I *ALMOST* did the maiden on Sunday, but it was our group's Training Day and I was tied up training newbie pilots. It was a ton of fun but my Viper was sitting pretty in the pit area, calling to me...

Yep I am going with a dead stick landing, even on the maiden. It's a bit of a nervous proposition, but even when at idle, the Viper scoots along fast with very little taxi control. So yes, it appears slowing down in flight would present even more of a challenge. Also, I am thinking landing with the engine off will save a lot of props...

Where can we fly glow power over grass in San Jose? LOL - it's a huge vacant lot just north of Ramac Park. Google-map it, and come by and see us this Sunday. It appears there will be a break in the rain, so if the weather is decent, we'll be out there. This vacant lot is a tad narrow, but fantastically long. Myself and others have been flying nitro there for years. As a group, we have talked to cops and PG&E and they are cool with us. We also do night flying there, which has triggered a lot of "UFO" panic calls to police.

One time, a cop car pulls up during our night flying and the police called out to us over his loudspeaker: "Hey, I'm just letting you guys know you scared the crap outta me!" - LOL, that was epic! He came by and chatted with us later. He said, for a split second he thought he was seeing an actual UFO alien thing flying around. Huge LOL!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM
speedracerntrixie

Man, that is too funny. I live right off Chennowith and Monterrey. I'm pretty sure I saw you guys out there on Sunday when I went to Lowes. Guys were sitting on lawn chairs under a tree. I may have to head out there on the next clear weekend. I have an electric Inverza that I can hand launch if need be. Are you guys only out there on Sundays?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 AM
markind

LOL not only did we have lawn chairs, we had tables and one table was set up with coffee and muffins. Sweet deal! For myself only Sunday is pretty much the only day I can get regularly for RC fun. Some friends, and friends of friends, fly there all the time, randomly. Stop by and get on our email list!

You probably don't need to hand launch! Just a short walk east of that tree, there is a huge natural runway of hard dirt that is pretty smooth and flat enough. That is where I plan to maiden my Viper. Any plane with decently sized wheels can land almost anywhere around there, it's not too rough.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM
speedracerntrixie

Cool deal, I will stop by the next flyable Sunday. So being that you have a Viper are you interested in organized racing? Q500 is being run in Woodland and I race a couple of warbird series one in Sacramento and another that travels to Fresno, Salinas, Oakdale and Morgan hill. My favorite is the Sacramento series as it's a great bunch of guys.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 AM
edalves68

Just in case you get crazy VG, the BFM Control line fun fly has been pushed to the 26th of April. Not much going, probably just me and a couple other guys.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM
markind

Wah. We got totally rained out. But, this coming Sunday looks clear, so we're we'll be out there for another try...
Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 PM
speedracerntrixie

You guys ever go out there on Saturdays? I did a drive by and there is more room then I thought so I dusted off the kids trainer.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM
markind

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
You guys ever go out there on Saturdays? I did a drive by and there is more room then I thought so I dusted off the kids trainer.

LOL my buddies were out there today, it was spectacular. A Dazzler with powered by an Evolution 10cc gas engine was being flown by a buddy, that made me jealous! I was stuck doing wifey things...

I made some calls and have a crew coming out tomorrow to fly and see me maiden my Viper. Weather should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.