Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

1st Western Pylon Series race at the Basin Apr 21 & 22

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

1st Western Pylon Series race at the Basin Apr 21 & 22

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:32 AM
bl10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Western Pylon Series race at the Basin Apr 21 & 22

The Valley Flyers will be holding the first 2007 Western Pylon Series 422, 428 and 422 race the weekend of APR 21st and 22nd at the Basin. We expect to have around 60 total entries. The race flyer will be posted Monday. We will be permitting all approved APC props as well as wood in 422. So come one come all and have a great weekend of racing. For additional information:

Barry Leavengood
Phone: (818) 998 4564
E-mail: [email protected]

Take Care
Barry
Old 03-14-2007, 02:11 PM
bl10

Default RE: 1st Western Pylon Series race at the Basin Apr 21 & 22

For everyones information we will NOT be allowing the LS Q500 engine in 428 at the APR race.

Barry
Old 03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Ed Smith

For everyones information we will NOT be allowing the LS Q500 engine in 428 at the APR race
Hi Barry,

Is this engine now available? Or is this advance warning should it become so?

Ed S
Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
bl10

Ed:
I don’t think at this point it’s commercially available although there are those who have them. I was told there was a recall of some or all of them on Monday. We are disallowing them for two reasons. 1st is questionable availably and 2nd and more important in my estimation is the effect this will have on local racing. I believe fully half our 428 racers are either not in a position to write a check for two engines plus spares or won’t do it. 428 is much different than 422. 422 is our premiere event and as far as I’m concerned it’s “Katy Bar the Door†as far as improvements and expense go. 428 on the other hand is comprised of the full spectrum of racers. Some guys race Vipers with tired motors while others race Vortex’s with the latest and greatest of everything. While I don’t think we will loose many if any over the new Q40 engine I believe we will lose 25% of our LOCAL 428 racers over the new Q500 engine. Those guys who do it just for fun, whose goal is not to be lapped by the fast guys already feel they are at an “equipment disadvantage†already and this won’t help. I track the national points and have first hand data showing the steady decline of AMA racing in the country. We are down over 30% from just a few years ago. That’s over THREE in TEN who are no longer racing AMA events.

You may have read Scott’s post. His post is based not only in fact but on conversations several of us have had over the last few weeks. At this point I plan on trying an under $150.00 ARF 428 class and some other things in what I consider a last ditch attempt to improve attendance at races. Everyone thinks 73 entries at PHX was great and it was but consider this. The model car track at Speedwoeld world had an event the same weekend. They had 450 entries at $100.00 each. 1st prize was $10,000.00.

Take Care
Barry
Old 03-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Ed Smith

The model car track at Speedwoeld world had an event the same weekend. They had 450 entries at $100.00 each. 1st prize was $10,000.00.
Thanks Barry,

WOW! that is a real eye opener!

Ed S
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 PM
tflynn

We really shouldn't compare our event to the car events. They are very different. First and most important... anybody can go and drive an rc car. Maybe not good but they could do it. You certainly can't say that about planes let alone our pylon racing.

Plus that car event had many different classes. I bet there wasn't one specific class that had 73 guys. Also I bet the car guys spend as much or more to race than we do!

As far as the LS. I tend to agree that it will hurt Q500. Most guys don't want to have to buy new motors. The only problem I have with not allowing the engine to be used is that the rest of the Country will probably not follow the pattern which means that we will have less time on the engines when it comes time for the nats. Especially when the basin group alone will have close to a dozen guys making the nats trip.

Travis
Old 03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barry, your idea of a 150.00 428 sounds good.

So does this mean I can build my own stuff and Race it in this class as well?

A build your own/arf class [sm=shades_smile.gif]

BV
and NO, I aint building for nobody anymore,,, Build your own
Old 03-15-2007, 12:29 AM
PylonDave

Barry I think it is a good idea to NOT allow the LS engine at this time . I think we all appreciate Dave Shadels service to the pylon community , but I think it will be bad for 428 at this time. I just got geared up to race 428 again , I just bought 2 engines and two planes and have one on the way. My budget is stretched!!! just ask my wife!!! If the LS engine is allowed I will not be able to afford one let alone 2! I think there are a lot of people in the same boat right now. we can't afford to lose more racers. I agree with you that Q40 is the top echelon of rc pylon and should not be restricted . I think we need to think about the expense of running q500. I would be in favor of a handicap system for folks who fly composite airframes. I would not want to exclude them because the chuck bridges and lyle larsons and super T and the rest have put a lot of work in developing these airframes. the fast guys are going to continue to spend the money any way. a handicap system would level the playing field for those of us who actually have to keep to a budget!! Nascar does this all the time. if the chevys get too fast for the rest of the field they make changes to the rules to level the playing field.
The other thing that could be done is have a gold and silver class at the races. the top half compete with each other and the bottom half compete with each other. That would give the bottom half a chance to compete at every race. This would encourage participation. At the begining of a race the goal for everyone would be to make the gold bracket. If you don't you still have a chance to compete.
Dave G
Old 03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
bl10

The flyer for the Valley Flyer hosted Western Pylon Series race at the Basin is posted on the Valley Flyers web site, valleyflyers.com. Please note all APC cf props as well as wood will be allowed in 422 and no LS Q500 engines in 428 at this race.

Call or E-mail me to pre-enter. We expect a large turn out.

Barry Leavengood
[email protected]
Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 PM
bl10

Just a reminder guys. The Western Pylon Series race is this weekend. We will be racing APRA, 428 and 422. Please remember no LS Q500 engines competing in 428. If you want to fly them at practice or during lunch that’s fine. This will be two one day races flying all three classes both days. Boy Scouts will be serving lunch both days. Poles up practice Friday the 20th. Call or E-mail me to reserve freq. Pre-entries are appreciated so we can get an early start.

More info and flyer at:
Valleyflyers.com

Barry Leavengood
[email protected]
818 998 4564

Edit to correct phone #