Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Glo-clips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 01:50 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glo-clips?

I went out to fly my Predator with my Jett 40 engine today. I was going to break it in at the field since the neighbors would not appreciate me doing the breakin at home. Anyway, I hadn't thought about a connector for the Nelson plug. What do most of you use? I saw the one Darrol sells which is very similar to the ones I used to use back in my CL combat days. Are there any similar available at the LHS? I know the one Darrol sells would be a heavy duty unit but $11 and then $7 shipping is a bit much for a glorified clothespin. Don't laugh, I knew a guy that used a spring clothespin with a couple pieces of brass for a connector. It always worked for him!
I'd have ordered the one from Darrol but I just can't see spending $7 for shipping for a glo-plug clip!
I did get it broke in by holding a standard clip on till it started but it's a PITA.
I was going to fly but it didn't want to transition from low throttle to high. It would die after I walked out to the runway and tried to bring the throttle back up to full. I still have it a touch rich and running a slightly smaller prop than what I expect to end up flying for real. It may clear up the transition when I get it fully leaned out. Maybe it was never meant to transition?
Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 04-20-2003, 02:11 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glo-clips?

Which JETT do you have?

If you have the airbleed single needle carburetor, you will probably have a hard time getting it to transition. You might get it to make a full transition it you do it quickly. If you have the Red JETT dual needle, it will transition, after running it some, anyway. If you got the Super Sport 40 (single needle), start it at full throttle and leave it there.

Thunder Tiger sells a clip that will work. Some LHS have them. If you can't find it there check Quantum Models, Inc. ... I think it's the Thunder Tiger 2173 Regular Kwik Clip but without a picture I can't be sure.

If you have to pay for shipping, go ahead and get the clip from Darrol. Just order more goodies to defray the S&H charges.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:19 AM
basmntdweller

Default Glo-clips?

I think it's the Super Sport,,, Red carb body, single needle. When I ordered I was told to order the CAPS engine which I believe is the same as the Super Sport.
I was at the field by myself and didn't want to carry the screaming plane in one hand and the tx in the other. It seemed as though it idled fine, it just wouldn't transition after idling for the walk out to the runway. I almost took off from the pits but if I had, one of our safety nazis would have drove up just as I did and raised a big stink.
Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 04-20-2003, 02:29 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Glo-clips?

You need a helper when you are using that engine ... Your best bet is to idle up some before taking the walk.

I got a Quickie-JETT with a Red JETT just so I could fly by myself. TO's are still interesting. I've done the one hand thing, and the ankles ... a neat little dance step works the best.

John Buckner described a launching pad that works with Quickies ... I think it's somewhere in General Racing Discussion ... you might want to do a search on "Launch".
Old 04-20-2003, 03:01 AM
basmntdweller

Default Glo-clips?

Normally there would be someone at the field but today I was there for three hours and all alone. I had spent the morning flying helis at another field where some of the heli guys were supposed to meet but none of them showed up either. I went ot my plane field expecting a full parking lot but nobody there either. Anyway, since it seemed to idle I just set it down lined up and went to about 1/4 throttle. Let it clear out and then release and go for full throttle. As soon as I hit full it would shut off clean. In the pits after starting, it wasn't a great transition but it would idle for twenty seconds and still make the transition okay.
I went on Darrols site and was going ot pick up several items I knew I would need but he only had the plug clip. I want to get a CF landing gear for one of my Racer II's and a few more props. Darrols site didn't list the props I wanted. He only listed the 8.8dia props and I have been told to go with 8 3/4dia props. I wouldn't think there was that much difference in .05" but maybe the blade shapes are different. Maybe the CAPS engine can't pull the 8.8" series.
Is there a way to tell which nelson plugs I have? They are all the same so I can't compare two side by side. Mine have nicks cut in on the OD of the hex. I thought maybe that was an identifier. If it is, I still don't know which plugs have the nicks and which don't.
Thanks,,,basmntdweller
Old 04-20-2003, 03:09 AM
Alabama Racer

Default Glo-clips?

On the CAPS Jett Super Sport engine, many guys run a
8.5 x 7N prop. Some use a 7.25 pitch but those will get
you in the correct range.
The Nelson with the notch in the corner of the hex is
the heavy duty plug.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:19 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Glo-clips?

As to the 8.8 versus 8.75, I think APC went to a single digit after the decimal for the diameter. Even the 8.75 x 7.5 NN has a code of LP 08875NN. More than likely someone referred you to the 8.75 x 7.0 or 8.75 x 7.5 for that engine. They would now be labeled 8.8 instead of 8.75, I think.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:46 AM
SSAN

Default Glo-clips?

Actually, the 8.8 series is the newer props and are slightly wider blade than the older design 8.75 diameter with the narrower blade. The newer 8.8 series are more widely use than the older 8.75 design due to more thrust capabilities.

The older 8.75 design are not that efficient if it's the Double Narrow blade. The engine will scream, but you're not moving that fast. However, the 8.75x9W is still being use by several people out there (including myself), and Jim Allen took fast time at the Winterfest this year with that prop.

As for the Super Sport Jett engine, I would recommend an 8.8x8.5 or fine something closer to 8" pitch. I wouldn't go to anything less. We run a Sport Jett .40 here with 8.8x8.5 and get 17,000+ rpm on the ground. Your Super Sport should be able to do better than that.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Ed Smith

Default Glo-clips?

As Alabama Racer says, use the 8.5 x 7 or 7.25 prop. The super sport is not all that happy with the larger prop. If you have the "CAPS" engine then use the prop that most of the CAPS racers use.

Good luck with the idle, the carb on this engine is not much more than a shutoff.

Go to superminnow.com there is a link to H&M racing. They sell a metal glowclip that will not break. It is cheap as well as it is in Canadian dollars

Ed S
Old 04-20-2003, 12:58 PM
MikeyD

Default Glo-clips?

Matt
I have everything you need. Just give me a call. I have an extra glo-clip you can use, and plenty of props, and plugs. I wouldn't order anything right now. You will find everything you need at Terry's race (Props,plugs Etc... ) Will save you shipping.

Call me and I can help you !!!! Trust me, if this is the first time flying a Jett motor you do not want to do this by yourself, and alone at your field. If you have already trimmed your plane with the Thunder Tiger on it, this is not the same as with the Jett on it. Control throws will be your biggest change. We also need to look at your plane to make sure it's beefed up for the Jett motor.

We can dial that motor and plane in for you so that when you get to Terry's you will have the fastest Standard class plane out there.

Your only job will be to fly-it to first place!!!

Mikey D
Old 04-20-2003, 01:08 PM
basmntdweller

Default Glo-clips?

If I'd had time I would have given you a call and gone up to muncie. I didn't figure I could get up to muncie, get in some flying and still come home and do the yard work before dark. with the weather forecast of rain for the next several day I knew I had to get it done. I'll hold off on buying anything unless they have a clip at the LHS. I would still like to get more time on the engine so I may play with it some more at my heli flying field.
Later,,, Matt
Old 04-20-2003, 01:50 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Glo-clips?

BTW, the Muncie hobby shop (right near the AMA site) normally has the glow clips for $5-$7.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:11 PM
MikeyD

Default Glo-clips?

Hey Matt
Give me a call when your ready, I can go to Muncie or your field pretty much anytime except this Tuesday and Wednesday, I'll be in Chicago.

Mikey D