Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

take a look at this plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 07:02 AM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take a look at this plane

I purchased this plane used froma guy in Long Island who I believe raced with it. do the marking on the wing mean anything as far as the type of plane or class it would race in?
I have been using it to blast around the field, and it's pretty fast. It has a K&B ball bearing 40 with a perry carb. it's proped with an 9/6 APC prop. I haven't tached it but it sounds like it's going fast.
How fast do the planes in this class go? I'll say this, this plane turns on a dime.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7909_1187.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	5573  
Old 04-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Ed Smith

The airplane looks like a Quicky 500 pylon racer. The 500 comes from the required wing area for this class of racing.

The "Vector 500" is the name of the design. The "N31B" is the partial AMA number 'N' for America. 31 being the last two numbers of the full AMA number, the'B" his surname initial.

26J is probably the National Miniature Pylon Racing Ass. membership number and district.

Ed S
Old 04-08-2002, 02:22 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Welcome to the world of Quickie 500 planes. Nice flying, quick, and they go where you point them. And it'e even more fun when you race against 1 to 3 other people.

I know there is a group racing in NY, but I haven't gotten any contact info for them yet.

NMPRA 26J is/was Richard Berner.

Check out the Q-500 rules on the AMA web site for the course dimensions and other rules at Radio Control Pylon Racing which is a PDF document.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:22 AM
IRLJR
My Feedback: (37)

Hello--
Richard Berner races with a group in New England called NEPRO.
We used to run K&B .40's but changed to Thunder Tiger .40 PRO 2 years ago. Plane is a good flyer. Fast and competitive with a good pilot. Easy to fly and goes where you point it.
Have fun.

IRL
Old 04-10-2002, 03:12 PM
regis
My Feedback: (3)

You can find out about NEPRO here:
http://users.erols.com/heil/nepro/nepro.html

You can still race with the K&B 40 - it is just that the TT 40 is stronger (and heavier too).
Old 04-10-2002, 03:41 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Default ?

I don't want to race or anything I was just curious about the plane. I"m having a ball flying a plane so fast, and the foam wing lands good in the trees. it really takes a hit.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:28 AM
vector-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vector 500 ID

Hello,
I just wanted to shed some light on what this airplane is. It is a Vector 500 designed and kitted by me from 1995-1998 . The plane you have there is a funny story and is actually a hand me down 3 times over. The fuse is from one of my old 428 Vectors and the wing is from Rich Berner. We gave it to a guy named Jerry about 4 years ago with an engine hoping he would race it, never happened.
Anyway it was a real good flying plane and I won a lot of 424 and 428 races with the design and finished in the top 10 in NMPRA national points with it, 2nd twice in NEPRO expert season points and , Ist in 1997. Now that I am back into racing again, I will probably bring the kit back out along wit the Pace maker. I guess these days you call them woodies, but they flew great , perfect for 424 and can be competitive in 428.

Lewis