Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

covering prep.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:12 PM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering prep.

Anybody know a good way to remove monokote resedue. Also, how would you guys go about cleaning the surface of the wood after sanding, I thought about achohol, but ive heard people complain about warping. Anybody got tips?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
davidgeorge212

Default RE: covering prep.

To get rid of dust on the surface of balsa wood you can use a good tack cloth and rub the hole structure down real well. I have also heard you can take a paper towl and spray it with adhesive spray and it would work the same but I havent tried that.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I use a vacuum with a brush head and vac the entire airframe just before I use a good quality tac clolth and then cover. I have substituted a paper towel lightly sprayed with Windex. Need to be very careful doing this though because paper dust can ruin a great cover job!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12313.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1584695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87773.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1584696  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can remove some of that left on color with a rag with some acetone on it then a little sanding. I spray down the air frame with the compressor then a tack cloth. That's about it before covering. If for some reason you want your covering to really stick to the wood you can spray the frame with lacquer hair spray. {easy} There really is no reason to do that though. It really makes recovering a harder job when it's time to pull the old covering.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 AM
planefreak123
My Feedback: (5)

Ok, Thanks guys!