Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lipos, Motors, & ESC's OH MY!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lipos, Motors, & ESC's OH MY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:09 AM
1LooseMoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipos, Motors, & ESC's OH MY!

Greetings, and thanks for taking time out of your busy life to read my post/questions. I am not new to RC, but things have really changed since I first started with the hobby. I started with Cars, went to Boats, then to Helis and now I am absolutley Obsessed with Planes! So back in my day, it was all about Nitro. If you wanted to go fast, you went Nitro. Nitro Nitro Nitro. Well, times have changed. I can not believe the power of Electricicty the sport has now, and is now available. Gone are the days of stinky fuel all over your hands, your plane, car, boat etc, and of course your garage. Gone are the days of tinkering with the fuel air mixture, just when you get it running good one day, the weather changes or you go to a different place and the altitude is different from where you tuned it, and you spend 2 tanks dialing it back in. Ok enough rambling on to my questions! Geesh! Ok, seriously holy crap, can you say Lipo? My question is, how do you figure out, is there a formula, for what size battery to run with what size motor and what size ESC? I mean what the heck is a 2,3,4 Cell, 16, 18, 22, 2500 Mili Amp? Really? is that like a Million Amps? Reason I am asking this is my plane came with a 8.4v nimh 1300mah 380 motor. Well I wanted to put my 7.4 v 15c lipo 1000mah battery in it. People I fly with said you gota be careful or youll fry your ESC, or burn up your motor. So obviously the way to go these days is lipo and not the ni cad like back in my days. But how do you know what will work with what without haivng to type a book on here or have to drive to to the local hobby shop and ask them. I know brushless is better than brushed, but what is a 19 turn motor compared to a 27 turn motor? Whats the difference between a 3700KV and a 6200 KV? If motorsandESC don't like heatshould you put fans on them just for giggles? Sorry toramble, hope I didnt hurt your head as much as mine hurts now. I would really appreciate any and all information you are willing to share.

Thanks,

Moose

Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lipos, Motors, & ESC's OH MY!

best info a person can find on electric flight is at wattfyer.com theres a link at the bottom of the airplane thread page
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18521