Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Methanol or non-metanol gasoline

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Methanol or non-metanol gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
heritageman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methanol or non-metanol gasoline

I fixing to be breaking in a new dle20 gasser. What type gasoline is better for these engines ? You have to buy the premium to get non-methanol gas.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Crash-RCU

Default RE: Methanol or non-metanol gasoline

Corn is for eating, not running engines on. Alcohol deteriorates rubber,Walbro has started using differrent material for there carb diaphrams so the alcohol don't destroy them. Your car will get better milage with non ethanol gas also. Ethanol is a sham. That said your engine will run just fine on ethanol gas mix, I just don't us it for anything.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:27 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Non methanol... all this ethanol crap juice they are making dropped the town mpgs in my truck from 14 to 11.5. Whoever came up with this crap should be shot
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go to a small engine repair shop you can buy the new carb kit for just a couple dollars. The new diaphragms in the kit are alcohol proof so there is no problem. I fully agree about the industry putting alcohol in our gas. After running a Pinto powered fuel injected sand rail on straight alcohol the only good thing I can say about it is it's easier on the engine and does make them run cooler. Cooler to the point of power robbing until you can get the engines up to running temp.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 AM
jetmech05

I haven't done anything special....until recently when they say ethonal could go to 15%....now I've started running sta-bil in my gas....there are different formuals of sta-bil...I run the one that helps with corrosion effects of the ethonal.....You can get it at Wally World
Old 07-09-2011, 03:25 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know why in the h##$$ ll us people cant buy straight non ethanol gas at the pump. it just another
way the gubbment is telling you what to do with your bizness.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 AM
heritageman

We can buy non-metanol gas, but you have to buy the premium grade which cost more.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: heritageman

We can buy non-metanol gas, but you have to buy the premium grade which cost more.

If you can get ethanol free fuel, do it.

When you buy a gallon of 10% etanol gasoline, you are really only getting 9/10ths of a gallon of gasoline.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook

i dont know why in the h##$$ ll us people cant buy straight non ethanol gas at the pump. it just another
way the gubbment is telling you what to do with your bizness.

Your govt' is boosting the price of corn for the growers. It is a scam and does nothing to reduce this countries depedency on foreign oil.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never heard that premium gas is ethanol free. I think you have to buy aviation gas (not legal to do that for auto use) or buy ethanol free gas from the hardware stores that sell it, for a lot more than premium. I could be wrong, but I've read a lot of stuff by people who dislike ethanol, and none of them ever mentioned buying premium as a way around it. Indeed, my impression is that the government requires ethanol in all gasoline sold at regular service stations. If the presidential races didn't start off in Iowa, it might be different.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:54 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I use such a small amount of gas in my planes, I just buy race gas out of the pump. Its a couple dollars more per gal, but it is ALL gas, no ethanol. The compression in our gas engines is pretty low, so race gas in not going to make them run any better. Pluses are, longer storage time, no ethanol.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

I use such a small amount of gas in my planes, I just buy race gas out of the pump. Its a couple dollars more per gal, but it is ALL gas, no ethanol. The compression in our gas engines is pretty low, so race gas in not going to make them run any better. Pluses are, longer storage time, no ethanol.
And where are you buying this race gas and how much a gallon. I have changed over to the alcohol diaphragm in my Zenoah but I can't recall if I have in my other gas engines? Tall Bob had gas still in the carb in his DLE 30 after his pancake landing and 6 months later his engine fires and only runs for a short time. It acts like it is fuel starved so my thinking is the DLE carb doesn't have the newer diaphragm.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Crash-RCU

There is a group of locally owned gas mini marts in my area that advertise no ethanol, only a penny more a gallon but I make that up in better mileage
Old 07-09-2011, 05:26 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

And where are you buying this race gas and how much a gallon.
Most Rebel gas stations have it. I think its $4.99. I go though about 2 gal a month.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHAT happens with gas that is mixed with ethanol , is that the gas tends to seperate from the ethanol causing water to build up
, thats why it effects small engines . if you want to run water in your gas , corn is for you. its all just a big pollitical nightmare.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Lnewqban

If you are lucky, a free ethanol station may be near you.

http://pure-gas.org/
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I haven't done anything special....until recently when they say ethonal could go to 15%....now I've started running sta-bil in my gas....there are different formuals of sta-bil...I run the one that helps with corrosion effects of the ethonal.....You can get it at Wally World
I hear there is a new formula called E15 and will be out soon at all pumps
total joke IMO
does nothing positive for us
and I hear it can only be used in cars 1998 and new, any older and it will tear apart the fuel system.. [:-]
Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Ask any boat engine technicians or ATV shop techs and they will tell you what ethenol will do to your engines. The stuff gells and becomes like Karo syrup if left standing for any period of time (like over the winter in a boat carb(s). Then when you go to start them the next year, even if they do start, they don't run well. I just had to go through the three carbs on my boat engine this week, not only cleaning the carbs but replacing all fuel lines under the engine cover. When I called the boat shop to ask if they had the fuel lines, the service manager immediately went into a rant about ethenol and what it does to engines. I run both a 90 horse Mercury and an 85 horse Evinrude and this is an annual event for me. I also have two ATVs and clogging of the carburetors is common if you use gasoline with ethenol in it. Fortunately, I have recently moved to a place where the closest service station sells ethenol free fuel. It's a few cents a gallon more, but worth it. Maybe this will mean I won't have to go through the carbs next year. Using Sta-Bil helps, but the gas still gells if it has ethenol in it. Just mention ethenol at any boat repair shop or ATV repair shop and I will be willing to bet they will go ballistic.

The same thing happens in automobiles also, but we use them often enough that clogging the system usually doesn't happen. That coupled with the fact that most auto engines now are fuel injected and that eliminates standing fuel except in the tank. So the clogging problems don't show up as much. But if you have any fuel hoses in the car that are not made specifically for ethenol, it will destroy them. The stuff is really a problem.

The reasons why our government is forcing ethenol on us is pretty unclear. Fuel mileage drops, power is down, gas prices are up and engines are destroyed. And the cost of making ethenol far outweighs any alleged savings. Not to mention what it has done to the price of corn. I guess the farmers who grow corn and sell it to oil companies are happy.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 AM
sjhanc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just put 1/2 oz  blue STABIL ( any auto parts store ) per gal reg w/meth. i have used this product in all my engines ( car, motorcycle, mower, rc gas ) since it became available and have no problems starting, performance wise, or fuel system damage, even after extended storage. you should however, top off metal fuel tanks to prevent corrosion above the fuel level. i am a factory trained tech on GM products,also Mazda and Mitsubishi engines with US ARMY training and exp in Bell helicopters maint and repair including turbine and recip power.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:11 AM
SkyPilot101

No Methanol you all say, gonna have to go No Bama in Nov. 2012! Dear God, I do hope so!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: heritageman

I fixing to be breaking in a new dle20 gasser. What type gasoline is better for these engines ? You have to buy the premium to get non-methanol gas.

none of our pump gas has methanol....

it does have ethanol... they are different

that being said...
from the manual
For optimum performance please use fresh or recently purchased
93 octane gasoline (87 octane gasoline will suffi ce) with a 30:1
gas/oil mixture.

so, go to the gas station, get gas, mix it and go fly.....

really it is no big thing...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I the only one that doesn't care? My '85 F150 runs just fine, and with 275,000 miles on the original rubber fuel lines it's not suffering any ill effects. I still get 17MPG average out of it too. My weed eaters, push mowers and chainsaws also all run just fine on E10.

In short: Stop whining it won't hurt your engine.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Warbirdguy

Ok, I am a Marine Mechanic. Factory trained on all major brands. I currently have my own shop. That being said, I have to make these few corrections that were mentioned earlier.

1. Gas and ethanol seperate over time and create water droplets???? LOL uh..no. You get water droplets due to the ethenol attracts water. The water is from this process of extracting water from the air. To eleminate this, keep your tank full of fuel. No air, no moisture. Other wise known as humidity.

2. Ethenol in gas turns to a gel after setting and gums up carbs???? LOL wrong. What causes 2 cycle engines that use a premix fuel oil to gum up (we in the industry call it varnish) Is from the fuel in the carbs evaporating and leaving the 2 cycle oil and then the oil drying out and causing the residue "varnish" to form. This was going on before ethenol was even being mixed in gas.

It is true that the ethenol does cause rubber products to dry out and fall apart. Pretty much all marine engines have been updated to use a different composite in fuel systems and wiring to counter this. Most fuel system parts that have been converted use a brown colored gasket material that shows at a glance that it has been retro fitted.

The old wiring on outboard engines were covered in rubber coating. Being most outboards dont use a breather system there is always fuel residue on everything under the cowling. This cause the rubber to dry and crack and eventually fall off the wires. Causing fires, shorts, and ignition component failure. The replacement harnesses have a different composite covering now and do not do that.

I doubt anything we say or yell about ethanol, its not going to change and will get worse over time.

Warbirdguy
Old 07-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Ask any boat engine technicians or ATV shop techs and they will tell you what ethenol will do to your engines. The stuff gells and becomes like Karo syrup if left standing for any period of time (like over the winter in a boat carb(s). Then when you go to start them the next year, even if they do start, they don't run well. I just had to go through the three carbs on my boat engine this week, not only cleaning the carbs but replacing all fuel lines under the engine cover. When I called the boat shop to ask if they had the fuel lines, the service manager immediately went into a rant about ethenol and what it does to engines. I run both a 90 horse Mercury and an 85 horse Evinrude and this is an annual event for me. I also have two ATVs and clogging of the carburetors is common if you use gasoline with ethenol in it. Fortunately, I have recently moved to a place where the closest service station sells ethenol free fuel. It's a few cents a gallon more, but worth it. Maybe this will mean I won't have to go through the carbs next year. Using Sta-Bil helps, but the gas still gells if it has ethenol in it. Just mention ethenol at any boat repair shop or ATV repair shop and I will be willing to bet they will go ballistic.

The same thing happens in automobiles also, but we use them often enough that clogging the system usually doesn't happen. That coupled with the fact that most auto engines now are fuel injected and that eliminates standing fuel except in the tank. So the clogging problems don't show up as much. But if you have any fuel hoses in the car that are not made specifically for ethenol, it will destroy them. The stuff is really a problem.

The reasons why our government is forcing ethenol on us is pretty unclear. Fuel mileage drops, power is down, gas prices are up and engines are destroyed. And the cost of making ethenol far outweighs any alleged savings. Not to mention what it has done to the price of corn. I guess the farmers who grow corn and sell it to oil companies are happy.

Here is something to try with your 90 merc and 85 OMC. Instead of just putting them up when your done with them for the year, try this. Fill your fuel tanks full and ad the red stabill to them. Run the engines ( in the water or on a motor flusher) for at least 30 mins. Then remove spark plugs and spray stabill storage oil in each hole. Use purple power or some other degreaser on the engine under the cowling and rinse with water. Just be carefull not to spray into the sound box holes (some call it a breather)

This is what your mechanic wont tell you at most local shops. Its called ....Winterizing...and they dont tell you this so you can bring it back every year for a carb job LOL.

WBG
Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It's what the majority voted for.

Maybe the next time around they'll figure it out.

This is the least of our worries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.