Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cheveron Perfect Pain over Monokote products

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cheveron Perfect Pain over Monokote products

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:02 PM
highroller-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheveron Perfect Pain over Monokote products

I would like to protect decals and panel lines on my plane and I'm thinking about using Perfect Paint Clear Satin over Monokote and Monokote Trim Sheet. Is there any known compatibility issue with Cheveron Perfect Paint over Monokote film, Trim Sheets and panel line pen ?

Thank you
Old 09-02-2003, 02:06 PM
highroller-delete

Sorry, I misspelled Perfect "Paint", not Pain.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My experience with the Chevron paints has shown me that they are not flexible at all and would crack and peel easily if applied over heatshrink films. Flexibility is an absolute must for when your covering loosens up and wrinkles. You would not want to try and reshrink if you have used a coating that isn't flexible.

I fly jets which mainly have fiberglass fuselages. Fiberglass is flexible and some spots on the fuselage always flex when moving the plane around. I have a large T-33 painted exclusively with Chevron Perfect Paint and that paint has delaminated and cracked in several places that have flexed. Some of the jet guys put me on to a product by PPG. It is called "Flexed and Flat". This stuff already has an agent added to keep it flexible after it cures. I tried it on a large F-86 and it is great. Very easy to spray without running and won't yellow like the Chevron clear does. The secret to spraying without runs is to use 2 parts reducer(thinner) to 1 part clear. Amazing results.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:10 PM
highroller-delete

Thanks for your help Steve.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

Has anyone tried Emron (sp). When I kept boats at the marina that's what we always used on them. Very flexible but nasty to work with! You definitely need a respirator, an air supplied one is best. Hard on the lungs...
Old 09-03-2003, 12:57 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

I have 8 planes that have all been monokoted and painted with Perfect Paint. They have been around for 5 years and the paint hasn't cracked on any of them yet - they all look as good as the day they were painted. They are fully sheeted planes and the paint seems to keep the wrinkles at bay.