Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which Primer??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Primer??

I am in the process of finishing a landing gear, but Im not sure which direction to take for priming and painting.
Ive done a search for my answer with no difinitive yes or no. The entire gear is metal and I was told you cannot shoot butyrate onto metal it will peel.
Can I use a rattle can primer such as Krylon or Rustoleum and finish with a Butyrate Topcoat for fuel proofing? Or do I have to use a Butyrate primer.
I am using Brodak paints for color finish, so i hate to have to try and match another brand color to it.

Thanks much!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:19 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think a "self etching" type primer would work well...but I'm not sure if it will be effected by putting dope over the top of it?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:44 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll need something that the solvent won't attack, which rules out most enamels. I would expect butyrate to stick pretty well though if you scuff it well with a 400 grit or so.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time I paint metal I bake the paint if I can. And by bake I mean put it in the over as soon as I'm done spraying while the paint is still wet.

I did that on an aluminum roll cage for a buggy painted with Rustoleum and no matter how many times I flipped the buggy on asphalt the paint stayed good.

It's been a long time since I've done it though and can't remember temperatures or times but I would guess 200 to 250 for 30 minutes to an hour. No primer was used.

I don't know what's going on besides the paint being harder. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the heat expands the metal and opens "pores" that allow the paint to grip better. Have no idea if that's happening though.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:26 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To do aluminum properly it should be chromated. That is basically a cleaning, and etch, deoxidizer, and a chromate finish. It will stop the black smudge stuff on your fingers. Since it usually isn't available, Maybe a vinegar etch, or as had been said an etching primer that is compatible with the paint..