Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Loose Blind Nut in tight spots

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Loose Blind Nut in tight spots

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 PM
newflier1
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Blind Nut in tight spots

So I have a problem in that a blind nut for a rear tail wheel assembly has come loose and I can't tighten (or get the bolt out). The blind nut is obviously in the rear of the plane and I can't reach it. Any tricks on how I can re set this blind nut? I think I can just cut the bolt off with my Dremel tool, that should take all but 10 seconds, I will then be able to get the blind nut out of the plane, but question is how to reinstall?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used magnets that are on an extending rod. It fits in my pocket but will extend out 24 inches. I have also tack glued the new blind nut on the end of a dowel or stick and fished it in. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-10-2015, 12:50 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Honestly, if the nut is turning in the wood, it has chewed the wood up to the point that if you could get another nut back there, it probably wouldn't have enough wood to set the teeth. Just bite the bullet, and go ahead and cut the block off the bottom of the fuse and fix it properly.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:24 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the problem, its not getting the nut on in the first place its not being able to drip a drop of thin Ca around the perimeter to prevent it from popping out in the first place. never seen any arf manufacturer do this so unless bolts are inserted and tightened vary carefully this does happen on occasion. Like David I done the stick thing and even Ca'd a T nut on my finger tip where I could reach but this always means very careful handling and sometimes it even difficult holding the nut as its just being threaded down.

So like Steve I often am inclined to do a bit of surgery along the fuse side and patch as necessary in these situations.

John
Old 03-13-2015, 07:47 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Like David I done the stick thing and even Ca'd a T nut on my finger tip..................

John
Now that is dedication!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:59 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I do. take a bolt the dia of your blindnout and cut off the head, then solder a piece of fine muic wire to the cut end, if its big enough drilling a hole into the end just a little helps. Fish it through the hole and out where you can then thread the blind nut on. Put a drop of thick CA on the base of the nut and pull it back into the hole. Slide a washer and nut down over the wire and thread it onto the bolt and tighten, pulling the blind nut back into place. Back the bolt out and your done. This works great when you need to install new ones in the firewall when you need to change mounting holes for a different engine.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 AM
newflier1
My Feedback: (15)

Raptureboy - thanks for the reply. I sort of got an answer similar to that when I posted the same question in 'tips and techniques', I just have one question to ask. So when you attach this fine piano wire to the cut bolt and pass that through the hole you are trying to fit the blind nut into - just how much (what length) of the threaded bolt do you leave so that when you pull the wire back through the hole you have something to grab - or for that matter, you are even able to get the end of the bolt through the hole? That is where I am confused. In my case, the hole was at the very rear of the fuse for mounting a tail wheel - so my question is "do you leave say 1/4 inch of the threaded bolt extended or do you leave more - or do you leave it flush - this is where I am confused when you pull the assembly back. Thanks for your help.