Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Looking for someone with eagle tree gyro experience

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Looking for someone with eagle tree gyro experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM
katman74
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for someone with eagle tree gyro experience

Just seeing if anyone here has set up an eagle tree gyro that I could chat with.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ahead and chat. I have one in my Seawind. It's been dunked in the lake a few times but still working fine.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 AM
katman74

Thanks, was it that hard to set up. Instructions are a little confusing. And what percentage did you start your gains at.
Thanks John
Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Square Nozzle

Katman, my hookup and gain adjusting may be different than your. I use a JR 12X transmitter. The first thing you want to do is insert the supplied harness into the appropriate channels in the receiver. I did not use the AUX connector. The servos plug into the gyro into the designated ports. Plug the gain lead into an open port on the receiver. In my 12X I can assign an available switch, dial or slider to control that receiver channel that you plugged the gain into. Using an 8 channel receiver I put the gain into Aux 2 on the receiver and assigned the aux 2 switch to control that channel. I then adjusted Aux 2 travel adjust so all I get is gyro on which is switch up and no gyro action with the switch down. You always want a means to shut the gyro off in the event that things get out of hand in the air (gyro gain to high, gyro set up in reverse etc.). My gain is set with the dials on the gyro module. Test fly the plane with the gains at max and adjust the gain down with the gyro gain control dials if the plane gets into oscillation on any one of the axis. It's going to take several test flights to dial it in.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 PM
katman74

Great John, I was wondering about the AUX connector.. I'll just plug the harness into receiver. I am using a 9C with 2.4 conversion. I have a 2 or 3 way toggle switch I can assign for gyro. I am putting this in a GMP Gee Bee with 50cc gas. I am going to have to y the dual elevator servos.Does the main gain lead have to have it's own port or can I y off another channel. I'll have to look. It's a 7 channel
receiver I believe. .I will adjust the gains manually like you said between flight. some club members said I could set them up on the dials on my radio to adjust in flight but thats to mush going on for me.
Thanks for you input
Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Square Nozzle

Yes you can put the gyro on a dial if the receiver channel you are using can be controlled by a dial. That would be determined if you have Device Select or similar on your transmitter. That will allow adjusting gain on all the axis simultaneously where the dials on the gyro give you individual control.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:50 AM
katman74

One last thing John, this is my first gyro, what do I look for in plane reaction with gyro on to know to adjust gain if I start at 100% or say 50%
Thanks Keith
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Square Nozzle

Keith, I missed your question about Y connectors. I would not Y the gyro. Give it it's own dedicated port in the receiver. As for initial settings, start low and progress to higher settings. When you get to high, the plane will tell you with oscillation of the control surfaces. At that point, turn the gyro off with your transmitter gyro switch, slow the plane down and land. One more bit of information. Do not use any expo. I was warned about that when I ran into oscillation on my sport jet.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Square Nozzle

Keith, you probably picked this bit of info up from the instruction manual. The dials on the gyro module also control the direction that the gyro moves the control surface. It's very important to check that the gyro moves the control surface to counter act an un-commanded attitude change of the plane. In other words, if the right wing goes up so should the right aileron. If the nose drops the elevator should go up and the similar correcting action for the rudder.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:00 PM
katman74

John, regarding expo, I should go back to 100% and take out what i have set be fore hooking up gyro and use no expo at all
Old 02-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Square Nozzle

Keith, expo over 10% makes the gyro hunt and you'll see the results in instability in the plane. It has something to do with the reduction in control movement around neutral. Your mention of 100% expo confuses me. On my transmitter, 100% expo gives no flight control movement until you get to full stick deflection. Simple to say no expo. Let the gyro do the work

Last edited by Square Nozzle; 02-14-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 AM
katman74

Okay John, I appreciate all your info. been very helpful. everything is hooked up. I have the off 2D,3D set on a 3 way toggle on my 9c.
I do have the 3 vr dials in the center of my 9C. I can assign one for gain adjustment. would I need one knob for each gain aile, rudder,ele.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Square Nozzle

Keith, the gain control on the transmitter should only control the overall gain (all 3 axis will be affected simultaneously). As far as I am familiar with the system, individual gains are controlled by the dials on the gyro module.