Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

oil% for evolution 2 stroke engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

oil% for evolution 2 stroke engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:26 AM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil% for evolution 2 stroke engine

Hello all, I have a brand new evolution 52 nx, and am trying to figure out what oil% the fuel should really have. Horizon tolt me 20-23 % low viscosity oil, which would be fine, but my LHS doesn't normally stock anything higher than byrons 18 % oil. Special ordering fuel is kind of a pain, so I was wondering if anyone has been running their evolution engines on 18% oil? They also have 16% oil for 4 strokes, but I'm assuming that that is a bit low, although I have ran a gallon of the 16% oil fuel through my OS 2 stroke with no prblems so far.

Thanks, Hubert
Old 02-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Just run your regular 2 stroke fuel and you will be fine. I had a 46 that called for that too, and it is still running with the regular fuel.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep... They're not that finicky. A good fresh 18% oil content, with about 10%-15% nitro content will run just fine... for a long time. Just don't run it lean in any case, and it will last indefinitely.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I wouldn't run byrons fuel. When I used to fly a lot of glow planes, I would burn about 30 gallons of red max 10% a year through mainly .40 sized fun fly planes. A buddy had an identical plane and motor setup as mine and ran out of byrons one weekend and I I gave him a gallon of red max.. he picked up 1000 rom going from 15%nitro byrons to 10% red max. I always suspected they were a bit low on the nitro and oil content..and more oil also equals more power...
Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
I wouldn't run byrons fuel. When I used to fly a lot of glow planes, I would burn about 30 gallons of red max 10% a year through mainly .40 sized fun fly planes. A buddy had an identical plane and motor setup as mine and ran out of byrons one weekend and I I gave him a gallon of red max.. he picked up 1000 rom going from 15%nitro byrons to 10% red max. I always suspected they were a bit low on the nitro and oil content..and more oil also equals more power...
How does more oil equal more power? More oil equals less actual fuel in the mix and more non-combustible ingredients. Please explain this one to me as that seems "bass ackwards" for some reason
Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 AM
krokodyl

Thanks for all the help guys. I am not worried about power too much, since I have only ben fling for 1.5 years. I will check the other LHS in my area, which is more interested in cars, but they might have airplane fuel. If not, I'll buy the 18% oil from byrons.

Hubert
Old 02-28-2017, 12:40 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Hubert there is absolutely nothing wrong with Byrons fuel and in many regions it is considered a quality product. There is no reason not to use Byrons 18% from your first dealer. Yes I do use it and have for many years now in a rather large variety of glow engines. There are no issues.

John