Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel shelf life

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel shelf life

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel shelf life

Ive heard that most fuels have a shelf life, is that true? Ive got a never been open bottle of 10% castoroil omega thats about 10 years old give or take a year or so. Im tired of moveing it around and scared to try it and dont know how or where to get rid of it. Ive just thought about trying a tank full on one of my older engines and see what happens.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel shelf life

If you dont see any separations or anything at the bottom of the jug its fine. I have flown some old Omega that the color turned orange form the pink; it was fuel.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 PM
cutaway

Sunlight will degrade nitromethans. If kept reasonably cool and out of the sun, the shelf life should be many many years. I recently used up about a quart of pure nitromethane mixing up fuel that was sitting tightly capped in a cool dark basement for over 30 years. It was still fine when I opened it up.

The methanol and oil components are pretty durable.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:15 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Use it.

I to have used unopened fuel acquired in buyouts that is indeed very old and used with no problem. If it presents no runing problems for your engine then there is no reason not to use it. I have also used opened half empty jugs of fuel that was at least some years old and with success.

If you still prefer not to use it then use it in another way, do not discard it can be so useful. There is no better (or safer) engine soak than old fuel to clean up or free up old engines. Also for those times when your airplane may have A noseover/ flopover and the engine gets filthy. Spray old fuel to clean off the inside of a cowling and the engine, works wonders to keep you flying.

John
Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Use it.

I to have used unopened fuel acquired in buyouts that is indeed very old and used with no problem. If it presents no runing problems for your engine then there is no reason not to use it. I have also used opened half empty jugs of fuel that was at least some years old and with success.

If you still prefer not to use it then use it in another way, do not discard it can be so useful. There is no better (or safer) engine soak than old fuel to clean up or free up old engines. Also for those times when your airplane may have A noseover/ flopover and the engine gets filthy. Spray old fuel to clean off the inside of a cowling and the engine, works wonders to keep you flying.

John
All of what John said. I have used fuel that was over 20 years old and it was fine. It was never opened and in a can, stored in a case out in a garage so it went through a lot of temp changes over the years. I have used 10 year old fuel that was in clear bottles and it had no problems at all. If it works then fine, if it doesn't work then drain it and run some fresh fuel. As John states, it's a great engine cleaner/soaker. It's also one of the best weed killers I have ever used!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:36 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it when folks think they have old fuel and just want to get rid of it . At 20 + bucks a gallon now , I'll take all the old fuel you want to GIVE me. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 PM
SCOTT42

I ran it today, burned half a gallon of it today, not a problem at all.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About the only thing that will change in fuel over a very long time is that you may see what looks like cracker flakes floating in the top of the fuel. This was due to the caster oil, but when you filter them out, the fuel was just fine.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:42 AM
Stephenlord23

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
All of what John said. I have used fuel that was over 20 years old and it was fine. It was never opened and in a can, stored in a case out in a garage so it went through a lot of temp changes over the years. I have used 10 year old fuel that was in clear bottles and it had no problems at all. If it works then fine, if it doesn't work then drain it and run some fresh fuel. As John states, it's a great engine cleaner/soaker. It's also one of the best weed killers I have ever used!!!
Are you sure about your claim, Can I also use it as weed killer?
Asking because I have not found any claim like that on any other webpage. I don't wanna mess up with my garden, you better show any proof or something. Otherwise, it seems like a misleading information.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:11 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenlord23
Are you sure about your claim, Can I also use it as weed killer?
Asking because I have not found any claim like that on any other webpage. I don't wanna mess up with my garden, you better show any proof or something. Otherwise, it seems like a misleading information.
Hmm , brand new to the forum and demanding "proof" for something a guy was joking about in a post 10 YEARS ago ????

Perhaps you'd best stick with "Roundup" , , and while your at it go find yourself a nice gardening forum to haunt with your demands

Last edited by init4fun; 01-16-2021 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:10 AM
Stephenlord23

Smile Lol!

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hmm , brand new to the forum and demanding "proof" for something a guy was joking about in a post 10 YEARS ago ????

Perhaps you'd best stick with "Roundup" , , and while your at it go find yourself a nice gardening forum to haunt with your demands
ol!

My friend forwarded it to me, I have not checked anything even dates as I was in hurry!
Lol!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenlord23
ol!

My friend forwarded it to me, I have not checked anything even dates as I was in hurry!
Lol!
, Ok, cool .... Just know that the gent who posted the wisecrack about using model engine fuel as weed killer was joking, because the alcohol in the fuel pretty much kills all plants it comes in contact with.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:33 PM
billinpa

I burn S&W 15% in all my glows, 2 cyc and 4cyc, some is easily 3 yrs old, the engines all run great! Stan from S&W has the best fuel going! Great stuff!
Old 03-30-2021, 04:50 PM
tbone4343
My Feedback: (4)

i opened a jug of 10% fuel and went to the field i have a falcon 56 with a kb 35 in it it started right up and idled a ok but as soon as i remove power to glo plug it dies . i tried mixture screws and same thing . as i know the nitro is what keeps the plug hot i am wondering if this is my problem .
Old 03-30-2021, 08:55 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tbone4343
i opened a jug of 10% fuel and went to the field i have a falcon 56 with a kb 35 in it it started right up and idled a ok but as soon as i remove power to glo plug it dies . i tried mixture screws and same thing . as i know the nitro is what keeps the plug hot i am wondering if this is my problem .
Nitro doesn't keep the plug hot. It is the catalytic action of the alcohol with the element of the glow plug. Many places in the world run glow engines with no nitro. Nitro can help with idle, and a bit more top end power. Having it quit as soon as you remove power is a classic sign of a bad glow plug. Replace it.