Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

LT-40 Bolt on wings

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

LT-40 Bolt on wings

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 08:25 PM
JakeC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-40 Bolt on wings

Ok, here's the deal. I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now and I noticed another thread on this subject that has given me some good info, however I still need more. It seemed he was half way through converting his LT-40 kit from rubber bands to nylon bolts. I would like to know your opinion's/procedures for converting an LT-40 ARF to bolts from start to finish.

My instructor and I have been talking about it and he told me to reinforce the forward section of the wing saddle with lite ply and the rear with 1/4 ply. Also reinforce the top of the trailing edge with 2 light ply doublers where the bolts are inserted. Then use one dowel for the leading edge and 2 nylon bolts for the rear.

1. Will one dowel be enough?
2. Do I need to do anything to the leading edge to reinforce it or do I simply need to carefully drill the hole and epoxy the dowel in.
3. Any other comments or experiences would be great.

Thanks,

Jake C
Old 05-16-2002, 09:52 PM
Mooney231DX

Hi Jake,

I did this to my LT-40 from the get-go. I didn't want to fool with rubber bands (mostly for the mess) and it was not hard. I used two dowels and that was probably overkill but it made me 'feel' better while flying. (depends on how your going to wring it out in the air.)

I drilled through the bottom of the leading edge all the way through the first plate of the wing joiner. (I'm recalling this from memory. I still have the plane and I had some pictures posted but lost them when I got DSL and switched ISPs. If you want I will take some more but I could not until Sat. or Sun.)

The dowels kind of ran at a slight downward angle toward the front of the wing. I used some aircraft ply in on the front side of the bulkhead that the dowels run through. (At the front of the saddle)

I also made some ply doublers for the trailing edge as your instructor suggested. (painted to match the monocote.)
Remove any covering where you glue them down.

As far as the leading edge: I reinforced the bottom of my wing the width of the saddle to the bottom of the leading edge with fiberglass and thinned epoxy. I figure the most stress will come in a steep climb maneuver where the wing is trying to fly of the saddle. The force will be pulling down on your dowels! The fiberglass should help spread the load so the dowels don't rip through the leading edge/sheeting.

I also ditched the wire landing gear and used an aluminum setup. The wires bend very easily even during nice landings. I think it was a GP 60 large set. (The large matched the span of the main wheel wires.) You will need a longer front gear as the GP gears sits it up a little higher. (I think it looks great and provides some additional prop clearance)

Have Fun.
If you want pics let me know.

Ladd
Old 05-17-2002, 01:50 PM
JakeC

Ladd,

Thanks for your comments on my situation. Have you had any problems with the set up? If you get a chance, some pictures would be great!!

Jake C
Old 05-17-2002, 03:17 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Jake: My friend did his LT-40 ARF just like your instructor said to do and he has a couple of 100 flights on it and no problem. I built the kit and did the same thing and no problem but it was easier since it wasn't the ARF. Go for it.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:40 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lt40

one club member here also converted his to a taildragger....very nice and good trainer to learn yur rudder on... -Tinman-
Old 05-17-2002, 04:46 PM
jeffshort
My Feedback: (29)

Hey Ladd,

How are you doing?. I still have your page saved on my
computer!!! And am in the process of doing the modifications
to my LT 40!. Thanks, Don't know if I got to tell ya that it
was a GREAT set of instructions and everything is going
together fine. Hope to have mine up by the end of the month.
If you need the page, I still have it and can e-mail.

See ya in the air,

Jeff Short

[email protected]
Old 05-17-2002, 11:44 PM
Mooney231DX

Hi Jeff,
Doing great.
Glad to hear you are almost ready to go!
(If I helped you...I'm very glad. )

Do you have the page and pictures saved locally on your PC or just a hyperlink? I had those up on my Mindspring space and lost them when I switched to BellSouth DSL. (I lost my local copy do to losing my machine several times with a Win 2000 bug related to RAID! - That's another forum. )

If you have it locally PLEASE send it to me.

Thanks!

tinman,
I'm converting mine to tail dragger and floats this weekend. I have the floats glassed but need to modify the LT40. I agree, it is a super plane to try anything new on.

Jake,
I have had NO problems with my setup. It is probably overkill for the way I fly as I said earlier. I think I've seen the post your referring to on the other thread. His looks very good. But as you have the ARF, the way I did it might be easier. (Didn't he glue some blocks to the ribs, etc., etc.? Mine just requires some small openings in the bottom sheeting for applying glue. The wing joiner takes the load.)

If Jeff has my Pics and Page I will re-post them or send them to you. If not, I will re-shoot the pics and re-write the text for you.

Art has it right. Go for it. The best thing about these models is it is pretty hard to mess something up beyond repair. (of course, then you have another chance to mess it up! )

Art = GrnBrt
Retired Law Enforcement = Green Beret?
(Either way, thanks for serving your country and community.)

Ladd
Old 05-17-2002, 11:55 PM
JakeC

I think I'll be converting my Lt-40 to a tail dragger this fall. I'm hoping to have a 4*40 up and running next spring so I want to be good and ready.

Jeff - Do these web pages you’re talking about contain the procedures for converting to a tail dragger? If so could you E-mail me a copy?

Anybody else have some Wing bolt experiences they would like to share?

thanks,

Jake C
Old 05-18-2002, 12:13 AM
Mooney231DX

Jake,

The page I put together for Jeff was very simple and on my personal web-space. This was several months ago and does not have anything about tail-dragger conversion. If I remember correctly it might have some shots of landing gear conversion though. (from wire to aluminum)
I Hope he has it.

But...As I am about to undergo this I will try and document what I have to do and post some pics and text if you want!

Just trying to help.

Ladd
Old 05-18-2002, 12:15 AM
JakeC

ladd,

One question. Do you remember how far back from the leading edge the wing jointer is? This way I will know where to remove the sheeting in order to glue them in. One problem I may have is that I have reinforced the wing center section with 4 in fiberglass. I suppose I will have to remove a small portion of the glass to remove the sheeting. No problem, just a hassle.

Jake C.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:17 AM
JakeC

Ladd,

Some picture of the landing gear conversion would be VERY much appreciated.

Jake C.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:28 AM
Mooney231DX

You got it.

I hope Jeff still has the shots. If not, I will take some more tomorrow or Sunday.

As far as the wing joiners.
I still have the plans. I am about to download the Digi pics from Joe Nall today. Before I do I will take a picture of the profile shot of the wing from the plans and will mark the measurements! (Is this service or what?)
I will send you the pic.

It may take a while to download all the pics. So...this may not get you until 30mins or so.

PS. What are you studying?

Back soon,

Ladd
Old 05-18-2002, 12:45 AM
JakeC

Ladd,

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out like this.

Studying? I can tell you I'm not studying enough! This RC airplane thing has me way too absorbed to do something as silly as study. Actually I am studying computer Network Administration. To tell you the truth, my wife and I are considering striking of in an entirely new direction and putting our Military training to good use. I enjoy computers but I am not real sure that making them a career is such a good Idea for me. I even look at a computer and it crashes.

Jake C.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:12 AM
Mooney231DX

Jake,

The picture attached should give you an idea what to expect 'inside' your wing. (If you need more let me know)

I'm a Systems Analyst (PeopleSoft - mostly). Find what you love...the money usually will follow.
Computers...Pay your dues for a couple of years and the 'World is Your Oyster'.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Just in case the pic is not clear enough.
LE to back-side of front joiner = 3 3/8"
space between joiners = 1/2"

(I have never attached an image so if it doesn't work let me know! Darn Computers... )

Ladd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11429_3895.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	7608  
Old 05-18-2002, 02:36 AM
bralex
My Feedback: (1)

Default Kadet Conversions!

Jake, I've done both conversions that you are contemplating for the Kadet ARF. Neither are difficult if you plan it out right. For the bolt down wing, I went with two front dows which are supported by balsa blocks run from the leading edge to the wing spar. Open up the bottom of the wing between the first ribs on either side of the wing joint. Replace the balsa sheeting and glass the area. Double the ply of the former where the dows go through. Let me know if I can be any more help!
Old 05-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Mooney231DX

Hi Jake,

Here is that other thread I mentioned. (See the big picture in badmeat's post.)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...highlight=LT40

bralex's approach (though different from mine and I believe a little different than badmeat's as I believe bralex said his blocks run from the leading edge all the way to the joiner.) sounds really good!

I think any method will work well. Just try to get a 'snug' fit on the leading edge. (Not so tight that tremendous pressure is on the dowels all the time but NO slop.)

Laddd
Old 05-18-2002, 02:01 PM
jeffshort

Ladd,
I do not have your new e-mail. Just the old at bell
I do have it saved locally and can send.

Jeff
Old 05-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Mooney231DX

Jeff,

That would be great.

My bellsouth address is current.

[email protected]

Thanks.

Ladd
Old 05-18-2002, 08:45 PM
jeffshort

Ladd,
Check your mail!.

Jeff
Old 05-20-2002, 04:24 AM
JakeC

bralex,

When converting your LT-40 to a tail dragger. Did you change the landing gear and wheels? Also what tail wheel hardware did you use?

Thanks

Jake C.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:34 PM
JakeC

Hey there,

I converted to wing bolts yesterday. I haven’t flown the plane yet but it seems very sturdy. One dowel up front and two 1/4 20 nylon bolts in the rear. Thanks for all of your help. I am confident this change is going to be plenty strong enough.

Jake C
Old 05-24-2002, 09:35 PM
dml232
My Feedback: (18)

Default different idea!!

just a little bit different idea.

Name:	12125_3739.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	7609  
Old 05-24-2002, 09:36 PM
dml232

and another.

Name:	12126_3739.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	7610  
Old 05-24-2002, 09:49 PM
dml232

finished product.

Name:	12129_3739.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	7611  
Old 05-25-2002, 12:38 PM
Mooney231DX

Have Fun Jake!

dml232,

Nice approach to the wing conversion.

How do you like it the tail dragger mode? Where did you position the Mains and what did you do for the tail?

I bought everything (I hope ) I need to convert mine this weekend. I had to clean the garage first so I had more room to work.

I was going to run a separate servo to a tiller mounted just ahead of the tail wheel.

Would like so info on what you did. And Pictures?

Ladd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.