Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Epoxy Fuel Proofing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Epoxy Fuel Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:34 PM
jhutchwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Fuel Proofing

There are many posts on fuelproofing with Epoxy. This sounds like a good way to go, but what type of epoxy do you use? Is all epoxy fuel proof, or just certain manufacturers. I am sure some work better than others.

Thanks,
Old 02-10-2004, 10:58 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Epoxy Fuel Proofing

I've used any number of brands over the years and can't say that I have seen any difference in fuel proofing. Just use 30 minute epoxy. If you heat the epoxy with a hot air gun, it drastically shortens the set time.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:33 PM
FHHuber
Banned

30 min or 2 hour epoxy. Brand does not matter.

5 min epoxy won't give the work time and goes on too thick if not thinned with alcohol (and then you might as well be using 30 min with none of the chances of adverse effects of low grade alcohol in the epoxy. Same cure time...)
Old 02-11-2004, 10:55 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use thirty minute and thin it with alcohol. Paint it on with a wood handled 1 inch cheap brush. Works well.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:33 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

What kind of alcohol? I'm guessing not the kind from the drug store. Denatured alcohol?
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:57 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Denatured is the best, but for fuelproofing, the stuff from the drugstore will work just fine. Use it sparingly, it doesn't take much.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While many get by using alcohol to thin epoxy, sooner or later they will get burned by a non curring sticky mess that is hard to get rid of. If you must use alcohol, use denatured, not medicinal, as the medicinal will have up to 50% water which can cause no end of sticky messes. By far the best solution is to brush on 30 minute or slower and then heat it gently with your heat gun. This will cause it to wick into the tiniest of cracks and crevises providing both strength and fuel proofing as well as speed up the curing time. Anchor Brand also put out a Finish-Cure epoxy which goes on almost like a paint and works well.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Mike Ledbetter

To apply a thin coat of pure 30 minute epoxy, I put on a rubber glove and rub a small amount into the wood. Then I throw the glove away.

Can't get much simpler.

Regards.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Stick Jammer

If you get alcohol from the drug store be sure to get 91%. As mentioned, the lesser grades contain too much water.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:31 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Attention! 5 minute epoxy is NOT fuelproof, it will hold up for a short while and then turn into a gel.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:04 PM
bentgear

Well, 30 minute epoxy is not fuel proof either, but it is very fuel resistant. People tend to use the terms interchangeably but they are not. Most of the time the fuel, except for the oil has dried up before it can do any damage.

Ed M.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:12 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

What about clear dope? Isn't that fuel proof? Or clear laquer? Don't know for sure. that's why I'm asking
Old 02-11-2004, 10:47 PM
pete913

butyrate dope is fuelproof, or at least as close to it as most other commonly used things. Carpenters glue is fuelproof too, just not waterproof, althought titebond II is said to be. CA isn't fuelproof, only kinda sorta resistant. One of the ingredients in most de bonders is nitromethane. You could thin epoxy with alcohol. I'd buy a quart of Everclear. At least if it didn't work you could drown your sorrows.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:07 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: frankflyboy1

Attention! 5 minute epoxy is NOT fuelproof, it will hold up for a short while and then turn into a gel.
5-minute epoxy is crap. I doubt it's even as strong as carpenter's glue, but it's a lot heavier and more expensive.

I fuel proof the engine compartment with warmed epoxy. I fuel proof the tank and radio compartment with solvent based polyurethane. I just dump some in, slosh it around for a few minutes and drain out the excess. Gives better coverage than trying to reach all the nooks and crannies with bent acid brushes.

- Paul
Old 02-12-2004, 09:33 AM
rwh

Zpoxy is the trick! Mixes easily, very thin, hardens overnight.

Once you use it, you'll never use anything else!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:37 AM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

For years I have used thin CA to fuel proof firewalls etc. and not one time have I ever had a failure with this method. It's quick and easy and even on some of my older planes the fuel has not even come close to penetrating the wood.