Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

finding the right retracts!?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

finding the right retracts!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 02:55 AM
purepetrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finding the right retracts!?

I need some help tring to find the right size retract.i'm building a 60 size plane, tricycle gear,84"wing (with dihedral)the weight should be around 10-15lbs.I've been looking at spring air.but 100-1000 series dosn't explain much.and unfortunatelly, robart isn't in my price range.any suggesstions? I hope i've listed all the info needed.thanks again!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:44 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: finding the right retracts!?

If yuo can keep the weight closer to 11 than 15lbs...

consider Dave Brown mechanical retracts that are made for that size aircraft. (list rating is 15 lb max...) On a 11 lb plane they are more than adequate. Easy to install and easy to set up. No air leaks to worry about Hobbico's nosewheel is adequate... thier mains aren't nearly as good as the Dave Brown's. (I don't thing Dave Brown makes the steerable nosegear... but there's less stress on that when landing properly... so a lesser retract will do OK)

If doing mechanical retracts... be sure to use a retract type servo... They cut power to the servo motor after a given amount of time, preventing draining your RX battery in case of a jammed retract. Its also a good idea to power the retract servo(s) off a separate battery... (not hard to do. Its a simple matter of clipping one lead in a Y harness.)
Old 02-16-2004, 12:55 PM
YAT-28E

Default RE: finding the right retracts!?

Spring Air is a good Chioce!
What are you builing?
How much dihedral in degrees

I used the 400 series 90*with the cylinder pointing to w tips for a t-28 put on a 8* angle
to get the whole thin closed in. Will take care of 10-15 lbs no problem and priced right!
call and talk to bill at spring air and he will help and avise as he did for me!

Remember if air is leaking, spring airs come down!!