Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 60/standard BB servos?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultra Stick 60/standard BB servos?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Spoon-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 60/standard BB servos?

I am thinking about picking up a Ultra Stick 60. I was wondering if standard ball-bearing servos are adequate for it. I couldn't find Hangar 9's specs for it. One more thing...I am planning on upgrading my radio to a Futaba 7CAP. Will it run the quad-flap option?

Spoon
Old 02-24-2004, 01:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick 60/standard BB servos?

Some would disagree with me on this, but I wouldn't hesitate to use standard servos. I've flown bigger planes than that with them.

Of course, if you're planning to REALLY wring it out, I would consider upgrading.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Spoon-RCU

Would Hitec 475's be a good budget choice then? Or am I still aiming too low?
Old 02-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Mike Ledbetter

I used Futaba 3004 standards on the Quad flaps and 148's on the Elevator and rudder. I stuck a 6 volt 1800 mah rx battery in though.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

Mine has standard JR 537 Servos. In 1 1/2 years, never had a problem, and this was my everyday plane after I soloed. I used the past tense only because I enjoyed the plane so much that I would not fly anything else! I forced the issue by pulling the engine to put on another plane so I would have to give the other planes in the hangar a chance!

BTW, I flew mine with a 61FX, the engine seems a perfect match for this plane. I'll be putting on a TT 60 Pro when I do put it back up in the air (the FX is now on a Tiger-60).

One thing you might want to consider is to put some fluorescent trim on the top leading edge of both wings. It is sometimes very difficult to tell the top from the bottom of this plane due to the transparent covering.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:55 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Hitec 605 BB's on the throttle, elavator, and rudder with 4 NES Digitals (they came with my JR8103) on the flaps and aelerons. I am not pusshing them, but just know they are plenty for my US 60.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Spoon-RCU

Hey stuk_at_work, I was thinking about a Tower .75 for it (super saver 4 year warranty). Do you think that is too much? Hangar 9's recommends up to a .78. I want to build as cheap as I can so I am not going 4-stroke. There are a couple of other .70 size I was looking at too, MDS .78, GMS .76, and the SuperTiger .75. I think all are good budget choices. Thanks for the other info guys.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:54 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

ORIGINAL: Spoon-RCU

Hey stuk_at_work, I was thinking about a Tower .75 for it (super saver 4 year warranty). Do you think that is too much? Hangar 9's recommends up to a .78. I want to build as cheap as I can so I am not going 4-stroke. There are a couple of other .70 size I was looking at too, MDS .78, GMS .76, and the SuperTiger .75. I think all are good budget choices. Thanks for the other info guys.
I don't have any personal experience with the TH .75, but I don't see why not, as long as it is within H9's power specs. You may want to compare the weights of both the 61FX and the TH75. I found that I had to add tail weight to my Ustick-60 to get it to balance right, and that is with moving an 1100 mah pack in back of the bulkhead behind the wing saddle! If the 75 is much heavier than the 61Fx, you may want to reconsider that engine choice.

BTW, the only reason the 61FX isn't going back on the stick is because it is now on a never been flown kit built Tiger-60 (winter came early), and I want to reduce the number of unknowns on that plane for it's maiden flight. The TT 60 Pro I am going to put on the stick has never been run, so if I do have break-in issues with it, I am very comfortable bringing the Stick in "dead stick" (No tendency to snap, stalls forward).
Old 02-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Spoon-RCU

Thanks for the info. I checked on Tower's website. The Tower .75 is .6oz. lighter than the OS .61FX. Thats good news...I think.