Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 78" 540 Edge

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hanger 9 78" 540 Edge

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 08:58 AM
jacklopez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 78" 540 Edge

I would like to purchase a Hanger 9 Edge 540 78" span. I have a Zenoah G-38 on a old plane that I would like to use.
Questions: 1. Will this motor be suitable for the plane?, unlimited vertical?, balance of plane?, will the supplied cowl that is suppled with the ARF kit work?, Are there any negative things that could be created with this set-up?
2. I also have a good supply of Hitec 625 MG servos. Will these servos be adequate?
Old 07-17-2002, 06:16 AM
Clive

Yes your motor choice should be OK. I had one of these kits, being made in Thailand I was able to get it rather cheaply!

An ok plane to fly, mine did have an annoying habit of 'snapping' out to the right when full elevator was applied. Tried everything to cure the phenomena. CoG, wing balance, wing incidence, tail incidence, thrust line, servo throws, servos, etc etc etc Four different pilots all the same effect. I have heard a friends plane in the UK does exactly the same thing, another friend reports a snap out to the left! The only suggestion I did not try was increasing the 'area' of the horiz stab.

Flown gently the plane look great in the air, unfortunately I swapped the airframe for a funfly, trying to put the fun back into flying!

Let me know how you get on

Clive
Old 07-17-2002, 11:12 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Depending on where you live and the humidity, YEs, you will have unlimited vertical. High altitude and/or high humidity, your vertical will be impressive but not really unlimited!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:20 AM
funfly8
My Feedback: (20)

I have one that I am putting a FPE 2.4 on I have read various things on this plane and compared the cg to other EDGE 540's comparing and calculating the CG puts the CG at 4.25" Hangar nine suggests 4.5 to 5.25 primarily so that you can get it to 3D I also read that 4.25" gives better stabilityhere on Ultimate RC under Giant scale I think.
Also Make sure that the wing does not have any wash in or wash out This can be a cause of the snapping. if using dual elevator servo's make sure that you have even throw on both sides of the elevator and that they are linear (equal) through the elevator travel

Funfly 8
Old 08-12-2002, 02:48 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have not purchased that plane yet, do yourself a favor and get something else. I bought one last winter. What a POS!!

The wing didn't fitin to the saddle properly and I had to sand the trailing edge of the wing to make it fit. The incidences were all off and had to be adjusted.

Plane comes with a bunch of hardware that is absolutely junk.

I won't go on. Get somehting else, unless your just absolutely in love with that particular plane. It's not worth the money.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:34 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default Holy cow...

I think this plane is a great one, and wonder if some of the folks who have problems with them got the few bad ones. Mine went together well, flys well, and I would do it again.

I find it a little disappointing that H9 has chosen to doscontinue this fine bird.

I do know that a BME44 is too heavy for this plane, but have no clue how a G-38 will do....