Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

FUEL TANK LEAKED

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

FUEL TANK LEAKED

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:38 PM
2dumbthumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL TANK LEAKED

While flying this past weekend the plug in the fuel tank came loose and I accidently filled my fuselage with glow fuel. Upon returning home I put powdered corn starch in the fuselage and let it sit for several days. Is this a good method of soaking up the oil out of the balsa. Will the monocoat come loose and will the glues loosen.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:02 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: FUEL TANK LEAKED

If you caught it that early, I doubt you'll have any problem. the cornstarch was probably a good idea to soak up the fuel.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Always, always coat the inside of the fuselage around the fuel tank area with a thin coat epoxy to keep fuel from soaking into the wood. It’s not too late to coat the areas. I usually thin the epoxy with alcohol to make it easer to spread it around.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:11 PM
2dumbthumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I had coated the radio and fuel tank compartment with epoxy but the fuel went all the war to the tail wheel.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a test I ran on ARF fuel tanks after a buddy had his plug come out filling his fuselage with raw fuel.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1394123/anchors_1394123/mpage_1/key_fuel%252Ctank%252Ctest/anchor/tm.htm#1394123]ARF Fuel Tank Test[/link]