Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How long should my smoke last?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How long should my smoke last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long should my smoke last?

I'm new to smoke, and use a Sullivan SkyWriter. I'm setting it up on my CAP-21, and was wondering how long a guy can expect a 14 oz smoke tank to make smoke? It's being injected into the muffler of a Homelite 45cc conversion. At max, the pump will pump the tank dry in about 25 seconds. What's a good starting point with this setup? I'm using a Futaba 7 CAP TX. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How long should my smoke last?

Randy, for one thing you WON'T be pumping at max. To give you an idea, I use a 10oz smoke tank, if you haven't already seen my skybolt video, here it is:

http://204.96.183.34/Skybolt/Videos/...t_high_res.wmv

This video is compiled from a single flight, and not all of the footage was used to make this clip. So figure I probably got about 1/3 more smoke time than you see here.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:39 PM
campbec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I thought it depended how tightly you rolled it[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Deadeye

So Mike, about 3 or 4 minutes with your setup. With 4 oz more than you, but a bigger engine, I guess I can expect about the same. I was kinda just looking for a ballpark to get the initial ATV setting right. I didn't want to blow out a whole gallon on the ground trying to get it close. Now I can time it as it empties into a dixie cup, and reuse the tested oil. Thanks for the info, oh Lord of the Photoshop.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:05 PM
kneesaknocken
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 1 oz. per minute if your going to measure it, is a good starting point... But, its best to run the engine and adjust the pinch valve while its running to get the maximum effect...PS the hotter the oil is before the muffler produces a more dense smoke effect...
Old 03-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Deadeye

I readjusted my Futaba 7 CAP to 25% on the EPA menu for the 7th (smoke) channel. I'm getting about 8 minutes on 14 oz of smoke, maybe a bit more. It's nice and thick on the ground, with little or no residue...guess I'll see how she does in the air.