Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Magnum .52xls or O.S .50 ringed

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Magnum .52xls or O.S .50 ringed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Magnum .52xls or O.S .50 ringed

I'm looking a new engine for my 40 size low wing trainer , i found 2 options which are : Magnum . 52 xls or a O.S .50 ringed, i was wondering which engine would be the best.??? i have a magnum .46 on my first trainer but there is one thing i don't like about it , it idles smooth but it take a while to get there. i heard that the . 52 also have the same problem but I'm not sure. someone with any info. on these engines?? will appreciate your help , thanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:43 PM
DragonLines
My Feedback: (13)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Magnum .52xls or O.S .50 ringed

I have several of both makes. The Magnum's are general copies of OS. The OS is probably a little better quality. They both run fine. I have no complaints on either engine. You aren't likly to notice the difference on a trainer like plane. I would just go with your budget, you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 of the Mag .52's and have had no problems on any plane. I have them on 3D planes, but they are now on a twin. I will say that I do not use the remote needle option, which I feel can cause some fuel/carb related problems.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

The OS 50 is by far a smooth machine compared to the magnums. I do find however that when a magnum is set up properly, ie "low needle, (idle mixture) there is good response and no "lag time from idle to high speed or high speed to idle.

Another detail you might note is that the OS 50 is a high performance engine with "oodles" of serious power...are you sure you want to put one on a low wing trainer? Advice? When things start to happen too fast for your thumbs to respond to and the ground rises up to smite thee...don't forget to drop the throttle! Good luck!

Old 04-30-2005, 11:16 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the engine manufacturers have pretty much great tolerances nowadays with CNC. The real difference is the quality of metals being used. Th OS will last years longer. Nickel content is the key to engine longevity.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

As for nickel in the OS .50, there isn't any. At least I don't think so. It appears to be a ringed engine of normal configuration, aluminum piston, iron ring and steel sleeve. It will take a while to break-in and should be run rich for several tanks prior to leaning it out for max power.

If you want to replace the engine on your trainer, get the OS .46AX. It's really a nice engine, easy to start, break-in and handle. It is a few hundred rpm down on rpm to the Mag .52, but if you aren't very experienced with engines, it will probably work better for you. I have 2 of the Mags & 4 of the AX's so I am qualified on, and have tested, those 2.

If you do get the Mag, ditch the remote needle.

Comments on the OS .50: I do not own one, although I may have to buy one just to see for myself. Some people who seemingly haven't tested it claim tons of power. I'd like to see some data. Others say it isn't that much better than the FX or AX. I have yet to see a comparison on say an 11-6 prop with an equal time .46FX, .46AX, Mag .52, Irvine .53, Thunder Tiger .46Pro or any other popular .46-.53 size engine. I can't say one way or the other, but if it were a total powerhouse, I think you'd see a lot more of them, despite the $160 price tag. You can but 2 TT .46's for that price and it's $50 more than the AX. It had better be good.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:21 PM
delman

When I replaced my 46fx with the 50sx there was a very noticable power increase. I have 2 of the 50sx and 1 magnum 52xls - the engines put out about the same power but the os carb still has the best [easier to dial in] carb. I like the performance on both.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Bob101

I have both, or should said "had" both.

The magnum actually turned the same 12.25X3.75 prop as the OS a bit more - like 200 rpm more than the OS.

However, the carb was crap. You couldn't set the high needle and the low needed right and expect the mid range to be right or even close. I found the low end needle really coarse in adjustment - it was either too rich or too lean and no fiddling would fix it.

The OS is much easier to "fine" tune and once set it sticks instead of wanders like the magnum did.

If your putting it in a trainer it's probably not gonna matter to you. If you plan on putting it in a 3-D machine like I did (and inverted) it will matter.

Once I got the OS broke in and set it stayed that way on the low end with occasional leaning of the low end as the engine had more time on it. It never siphons fuel inverted etc...

Maybe you need a magnum engine and an OS carb.

Just my opinions but I gave the magnum away to someone else at our field. Life is too short to dick with needle settings every flight (other than the normal set the high end needle). Oh yeah almost forgot (it's been a little over a year) when I first got the magnum it had to be returned - the low end needle was non-functional IE it wouldn't turn period. It was permanetly stuck you couldn't even back it out etc..so I sent it back and they sent me a new one pretty quick even during the holidays so service was pretty good.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

hello guys. thanks for the info and advice. one thing i want to specify maybe this would help, the plane i´m looking this engine for is a Tiger 2 manufactured by Carl Goldberg. i had a 46xls magnum on it but it messed up, it lost power. the last flight i made it bearly got the plane off the ground, so i opened it up and found both bearings were gone.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:19 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I have the same plane. At various times I've powered it with the Magnum 46XLS, TT Pro46 and an OS 40FX. My feeling is that a 46 with an 11X6 prop is plenty of power for the Tiger 2. Unless you want the bigger engine for some plane of the future, I'd say save your money and get another 46.

The TT Pro 46 has a good reputation and can be found on sale for under $80.