Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Am I wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 11:28 PM
da_man
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I wrong?

A while ago I ordered something from towerhobbies. There was a misprinted price. I ordered this item, unaware of the misprint and they took my order by phone. SInce it was not in stock yet they did not ship it. A month later I was notified that I could not have this airplane for that price. I explained that I already purchased it, bought stuff for this plane and could not do anything about it. They said that they could be nice and only make me pay 220 more dollars than the price that was agreed upon. Yes that is in the hundreds. I said I would buy the plane for the price that was negotiated and that is it. Two months later the Plane is in the mail and delivered for the original price. I had to return it to sender and was never refunded for shipping.

Was it wrong for towerhobbies to ask me for more money?
Old 11-09-2002, 11:46 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default DA_MAN

Misprint,can't have it, already purchased accessories,month's later, and after all that, what? then you returned it?? now your wondering about return shipping :stupid: ARE YOU WRONG, you ask?? Who know's, I'm not sure what even happened Why was the plane returned?
Old 11-10-2002, 05:09 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Am I wrong?

You need to ask your question a little clearer, but if you are asking about a Published price in a magazine, they are bound to sell you the kit for that price. If you used a number off an internet special, they are bound by that price as well. If it was a scratch and dent item, and it was the only one they had, the first guy who orders it gets it, and you are not entitled to the same price. Other than that, there is not really any negotiating with a company like tower. Hope that helps.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Am I wrong?

damn, i phoned a shop about the Wattage Sabre advertised in a mag 10 quid cheapre than anywhere else, they said it was a missprint, and not for sale at that price, and they where out of stock anyway.
thinking back,,, sounds like a sales gimick
Old 11-10-2002, 07:22 PM
da_man

Default Am I wrong?

The price was online. I ordered it. The person on the other end took my order and credit card number. The item was not in stock so they did not ship it yet. It was not a scratch and dent item.

They sent me the plane, but they charged me the full amount and I did not agree to that and I had to ship it back to them.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:54 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default Prices

I am not 100% sure but I don't believe there is a "LAW" making it mandatory for a store or distributer has to honor a misprinted price . It would be different if they told you one price and charged a higher one. If you were told in advance of the sale or delivery that the price was wrong , then there is no foul. If they do honor the wrong price they have done so on their own integrity. I suppose it would also depend on the price difference, if the ad said $10.00 for O.S .46 FX s and it was actually suppose to be $100.00 , I would not hold them to the price if it were a misprint , but I would surely try to order a few.

I think I would have called them first and straightened out the incorrect charge before sending it back, if they refused, I would do a stop payment or charge back on the Credit Card and let them pay to have the package picked up .

Yes, I think you did the wrong thing but for the correct reason. In most cases the company dosen't pay for return shipping, although if its besause of thier mistake I believe they should.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:46 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default Am I wrong?

There's probably a "small print item" somewhere about "not being responsible for Typographical errors" and "prices subject to change without notice."

If you want to fight it, you'll probably win. Of course you'll spend more than that in legal fees. It wouldn't hurt to file a complaint with them, just to see what they do.

Mike
Old 11-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Am I wrong?

Unless I mis-understood, the plane did arrive at the original price but he sent it back. With this being an back ordered item, I don't think refunding your shipping cost is in order.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:02 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Am I wrong?

I work in this line of business, (catalog/web sales) and I can thell you that MHawker is right on the money.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:40 PM
Dave Bowles

Default price

It was my impression that the final charge for the Item was more than the agreed amount discussed at the time of order ? :stupid:
Old 11-12-2002, 01:00 AM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

Default Here it is

Look in any Tower Catalog or ad in a magazine from them. Here it is. Any company doing business can't be responsible for misprints unless they do the printing I suppose. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture:
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2002, 03:51 PM
Crashem

Default Am I wrong?

There's probably a "small print item" somewhere about "not being responsible for Typographical errors" and "prices subject to change without notice."

That not was Da man is saying!!!!!

They took his order at the wrong price took his credit card number. Sounds like the incorrect price was caught downstream of the order process.

If the person taking the order caught the mistake BEFORE or DURING the order process then I would have to agree with MHawker and Minnflyer.

But they did not catch untill after the sale had been made (at least thats what I think Da Man is trying to say)
Old 11-12-2002, 05:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Am I wrong?

What MHawker and I said is that IF you choose to fight it, you will PROBABLY WIN. But with what you would spend in time and legal fees, it's just not worth it.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Buz^

Default yea, what minflier said EXCEPT!

Once again this is only one side of the story, and a sketchy one at that. For instance, what plane was it? when was it? how much was it?Do you have a copy of the add so we can compare it to the one's we all have? Did your c.c. company stop payment? Do you still have the model? Buz^
Old 11-15-2002, 02:18 PM
grazzhopper

Default Buisness Law

A class I had 102 years ago said that an ad was an offer to negotiate. Not binding except under the most archaic of circumstances. Fair and honest has nothing to do with buisness and justice was the gist of the class. Principle is yours for the taking of buisness elsewhere...so sad. This is not to say you don't have rights, just that few know what they are. Famous last erroneous words "I know my rights"! I do not darken the doors of certain places, and they probably don't miss me.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2002, 08:48 PM
da_man

Default Am I wrong?

Once again this is only one side of the story, and a sketchy one at that. For instance, what plane was it? when was it? how much was it?Do you have a copy of the add so we can compare it to the one's we all have? Did your c.c. company stop payment? Do you still have the model? Buz^

I have a copy of the ad and a copy of this purchase on my tower hobbies account for the price. I also have a manipulated price that they put after they phoned me about it. I never said I would pay that price, but they still sent it

I sent it back and towerhobbies refunded the price that I had to pay for the kit and not for shipping. I don't have the model.

IT was the Pitts biplane by great planes. It costs 400, but the interenet said 150. This happened a year ago.

I just wanted to know if what they did was wrong. I have not ordered stuff from them. I am sure they missed out on a lot of profit, a lot more that 250. The main reason is that I do not want to order from a company that has cheated me out of a plane.

If everyone said that I am overreacting then I probably will order from tower hobbies again, but since it does not seem so, I won't ever order from them again. That also means all distributers that have supply from tower hobbies. Maybe that is too far, but I want to cut out all their profit from me.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:54 PM
Buz^

Default my question is

where was the pitt's offered for $150.00 meaning, what # catalog . Not a big deal , I was just curious about the add
Old 11-15-2002, 11:13 PM
Dave Bowles

Default Tower

If your not going to buy from shops that get thier stuff from Tower or Great Planes, your not going to be buying much.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:12 AM
da_man

Default Am I wrong?

The pitts was advertised at that price over the interent. I printed out the add for it.

I can make it fine without them. I have been buying these brands for the past year.

Superkraft arfs

Jr radio gear

Saito engines

and hanger 9 feild equipment

The only problem is getting that great planes UCANDO3D

I won't go too far and get rid of my towerhobbies servos in my cap 232 or anything in any other brands that they sell.