Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Buying used engines-horror stories?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Buying used engines-horror stories?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:32 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying used engines-horror stories?

Bought a used ST G4500 here on RCU. Advertised as "Ran strong when I took it off my Christan Eagle." Noticed a few scores on the piston through the exhaust port and decided to pull the head. The pic-if it will load -shows the piston. Looks like a moonscape, as does the head. Pieces of metal imbedded in the head and piston. One wrist pin retainer gone, a half of one left on the other side. The ring was in two pieces. Think I learned my lesson!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40067.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	399289  
Old 01-31-2006, 04:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Buying used engines-horror stories?

Sadly some people purposely misrepesent the condition of sale items.

Others just run them and never pull the muffler and assume if they run they are in good shape and simply don't know any better.

Either way engines are something I only buy used if I can inspect them.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 PM
wsmalley

I should have added that someone had taken the engine apart and instead of replacing the wrist pin retainers, they had taken a chisel, or something, and peened the wrist pin hole over to keep the pin in! It may have been the retainers originally that became shrapnel in side. I guess when a guy sells a a bunch of engines here over time, you gotta wonder. Caveat Emptor!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been lucky, but I ask a lot of questions now and have them take lots of pictures. I got burned on a heli so I ask for odd pics now before I bid or buy
Old 01-31-2006, 08:38 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hard and fast rule, I never buy a used engine unless I can put it in my hands and examine it.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
wsmalley

A good rule, but in this case I could have been fooled by outward appearances. Only by removing the head did I discover the extent of the damage. It's hard to imagine that someone would take an engine apart and peen the wrist pin hole on two sides rather than buying the retainer clips-unless you knew you had a piece of cr...... and wanted to pawn it off on someone else. This assumes he didn't know the ring was broken? and that the head and piston was pock marked. I wonder if it would run at all? Thank goodness I didn't try to start it first!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

I bought an engine early part of October 2004 for a Christmas gift. Sent a MO that was cashed 10 days of me sending it. November...no engine and was told it was sent out. Early December, no engine, never was sent out. Was told I will have it by Christmas. Christmas came... no engine. ... no response what so ever. I gave up.

What was funny is that this same engine was again for sale here on RCU under a different user name in Jan. 2005. Same picture, same description, same location, same everything but the user name. I reported it to RCU with all the e-mails and the original ad I bought the engine from. Make a long story short. This person can not go under his real name or address anymore here on RCU.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:47 PM
bofrcr

Hey! Guy's!! So,, ya want horror stories do ya?? About a year ago,, my son bought a used 3w-150 on-line,, he thought it would be a good idea to run it first on a test stand he made,,before putting it in his big ultimate. It started good,,and after letting it warm up,,he advanced the throttle-----and promptly blew a jug right off of the engine!! The jug hit his leg,,leaving a large welt the size of a softball,,and the piston broke off the rod,, landing some 50-60 feet away!! And,, not to mention busting a 32-10 prop to boot!! He was ,,to say the least,, "a little upset" !!! As it turned out,, after sending it in to be fixed,,it was determined that this "dweeb" he bought it from,, had tried to retighten the jug bolts,, and stripped a couple!! Worst part was,, the guy wouldn't help any with the repair bill!! Was told "sorry about your luck"!! [:@] After repairs,,($$$$),,it is a good running motor,,but he has more in it than a new one would have cost !!! (kids,, ,, can't tell'em anything!) Just something to think about. Even in this hobby,,there are people that can't be trusted!! Buying a used motor,, in my case,,has only happen after I've seen AND heard it run!! The old saying,,"buyer beware",, think about it,,,,
Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; My first four stroke was a Saito 45, the guy couldn't get it running no matter what he tried, i swapped him a Webra silverline 40 that i just hated. He was happy. i took it homee and took it apart, the piston had a perforation in the crown, he had forgotten to put the teflon buttons on the end of the wrist pin so there was a gouge on the liner on one side through the chrome and through the brass underneath that. I took it down to Seattle to Baxters and bought a head/barrel, a piston, ring, and wrist pin with teflon end pads. Total bill $38. I later replaced the case, bearings, and just about everything else, but that engine eventually went into our club trainer and crashed and lived on and on for many hard years and untold gallons. i doubt that I could afford the parts nowadays.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope your experience was used to down rate this guy in this transaction, this would be a heads up to anyone trying to deal with him in the future, it is important to use the rating system. On another note, I have been very fortunate with all the engines that I purchased through RCU and other websites, but must confess that there is a risk involved. By the way, did you contact this seller and let him know about your findings, I would have tried to return the engine.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:30 AM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

I do want to say that my experience here on buying other engines have been good. One of the biggest things to do is ask questions! It is amazing on what a seller can leave out.... both on purpose or just by accident.... This just does not apply to engines either!

Walter D hit it on the nose here with the ratings here on RCU. A good way to tell what kind of person you are dealing with.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 AM
wsmalley

I emailed the guy and his response was "how do i know you didn't run the engine and tear it up". Interestingly enough, he had another similar engine for sale here which disappeared about the time this thread began. I did take the liberty of PM 'ing the guys who had posted questions about the engine. I haven't decided to register a complaint just yet until I finish disassembling the engine. Found yesterday, the front main bearing is also gone. Here's what the head looks like:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27047.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	400402  
Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 AM
daveb86
My Feedback: (4)

I bought a used aresti 40 with a saito 72 in it. I had never flown the plane before or any plane for that matter but i did fine no crashes untill the engine stalled and i got to experiance my first dead stick land. It landed ok with no damage to the plane itself but the engine took all the load. ( cracked engine mount) I have since flown it many times but i bought a funtana 40 and put the 72 in it. I have put a lot of effort and pride into my funtana and i do not wanna risk somthing happening to it because of somthing as stupid as an enging problem. So before i take my funtana up i would like to go over the 72 with a fine toothed comb. What do i wanna look for... do i need any special tools? i have never torn a small engine apart and would just like some pointers and tips. Thanks Dave
Old 02-04-2006, 08:25 AM
bbbair

After reading these posts - I'm convinced of two things...
#1 I'm only going to buy engines new!
#2 I'm never going to be able to sell any of my old engines!

As with any mechanical device you are taking a lot on faith when you buy it, when you buy it "through the mail" you are truly taking a chance.