Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Using an incidence meter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Using an incidence meter

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 02:28 AM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using an incidence meter

I have a H9 Edge 540 that will be ready for flight this season and i was wondering about this incidence thing. How would i go about setting up the incidence and which incidence meter if any should i use? I am a little confused on how it is done and what references are used. Is there a web site that explains more on the subject and how to properly set up a model.
I heard on this forum that the Edge should be set up with about .5 to 1 degree of INCIDENCE.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:50 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Incidence is the angle of the wing in relation to the fuse. Take the CENTERLINE of the fuse and set it to 0*. Then you have to find the CENTERLINE of the wing, some incidence meters do this for you, and set the wing to the desired angle. Obviously this is the simplified version, but you should be able to figure it out. There are many good incidence meters. I use the one from Great Planes.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:05 AM
SAL98

How do you find the centerline of a fuse that has a rounded top and bottom. I can't just lay the fuse on a table without the landing gear like a trainer. This is what has me a little baffled.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:01 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Well...hmmm....the centerline of the plane that the incidence relates to is otherwise known as a "DATUM" line. It's the line that every part of the aircraft is aligned to. It's most of the time easy to identify in the Aerobats as the line the cockpit lines up with, and it runs through the plane. In that Edge, it might be difficult to identify because the cockpit is removed, and it doesn't leave much to go on....other then the "turtledeck" shelf..and this is the portion that the forward and rear turtledecks are built on.
Basically the only incidence adjustment your going to get is the rear horizontal stab anyways......the wing is what it is...and it's very close, if not right on.
I'm near done with my Edge also, and yes I checked incidence and went to zero on that stab. The wing was already set, and very very close to zero, so I set the stab off that.
I did also have issues on the mounting of tail-group as a whole, and I ended up reshaping/reworking the bases on which the surfaces mount too, I also found the vertical stab was atrociously mis-cut, or not cut at all at the base, and the fit of the tail-group out of the box was so far off it was pathetic. The manual said "some cutting may be necessary"...ppplllllleeaasssee!!!! It was an engineering feat to make it fit(just kidding), it did take some time though... It's much better now after a week of evenings engineering, and I have full confidence in the install, and look forward to very strong tail section.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:51 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well described Dale... Let me add that incidence is a term which applies to both the wing and horizontal stab using the Datum line as a reference point. Some measure the wings incidence and compare it to or against the horizontal stabs.

The Datum line is an imaginary line that is drawn through the fuse length wise. Typically Aerobatic models with a removable canopy deck can utilize this surface as Datum reference point. In some cases the firewall has no up or down thrust and can be used as reference point.

You'd first have know the desired incidence spec for the wing and then the stab. As a general rule Aerobatic models are set at 0 degrees for the wing and stab. Most aerobatic models with plug in wings and stabs are easy to change the incidence on by relocating the ply doubler/socket located on the inside of the fuse which the dowel penetrates into. Or in some case stabs have a small L-bracket that is used to locate the stab's incidence and hold it in place.

I'd suggest Robarts Incidence meter, very good instructions with lot's of examples and how too's, simple and rugged construction.

Great Planes has a very nice Laser unit as well.

ARF's are assembled with jigs, the incidence is set with the jig when the model is framed up, they are generally close enough for the Sunday flier. I'd fly your model and go from there...
Old 12-09-2002, 11:24 AM
SAL98

Thank you gentlemen for that quick and thorough explanation. I will definitely go for that robart incidence meter.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:55 AM
hauckf

A word of caution regarding the use of incidence meters: Check them for plumb. I have a Robart that is about a half degree off. Example: If I check a wing with the meter window facing the left wingtip, and then recheck the same wing in the same place with the window facing the right wingtip, I get a different reading by about a degree or so. (It isn't the vee's; I get the same error checking the top of my building board.) Until I get around to fixing it, I just make sure the window faces the same side of the plane for all the checks.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:52 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

That is right. I have two meters. I thought it would be easier than moving the same meter back and forth. They don't agree with one another!! Darned confussing trying to remember which is which and which way they were facing!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 04:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

True, always keep the meter facing that same way for all measurements.