Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Super Tiger engines

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Super Tiger engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:57 AM
rastus21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tiger engines

Are these engines any good? Seem fairly cheap. Been out of hobby for about 8 years or so, back then they were good, just wondering if they still are???
G90, Gonna put it into a Great planes Extra 300 62 inch span.
Cheers
Matt
Old 04-17-2006, 06:16 AM
daveosoar

Default RE: Super Tiger engines

Hi,
Were good, are good, highly rated in the UK.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are a good reliable engine. They do require a fairly long breakin to run reliably.

On the down side, they are heavy for their size. There are several other makes of engines that are noticeably lighter in weight for the same size engine that do not require the extensive breakin that Super Tigre engines require. After market mufflers are frequently difficult to find (at a reasonable price).

You may want to take a look at the Evolution and Thunder Tiger engines. They are both in the same price range as an ST, but are lighter and do not require the long breakin.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
bigchap

i like them a lot,they're designed to run on straight fuel so they're cheap to run and if broken in properly last for decades.no,really they do!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:42 PM
jim.thornton

I had one about 5 years ago.. Well the ST .45 anyways and I will never buy one again.

I am not extremely experienced when it comes to engines but when I bought it, I mounted and tried firing it up. Well, I spend literally 10's if not 100's of hours trying to get a stable idle. NO LUCK! I took it to the field and the vetrans couldn't get it running properly. The best they could get was a good idle but it would deadstick after 5 mins of flying (with 3/4 of a tank of fuel). Spent 1.5 years putting up with dead sticks. Although I would never buy another ST, I would say that it made me very good at dead stick landings LOL.

Well, after 1.5 years of that junk.. I splurged the extra 30 bucks and got the OS .46 FX and it fired up out of the box with the only thing needing adjustment was the needle.

My opinion (for what it worth!)... Stay away from Super Tiger. But like I said, I'm not an engine expert!

Jim.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

i have several of these motors,never had any problems with them and break in if you follow the instructions on most engines you shouldn't have many problems.you can get a lemon in anything you buy
Old 04-17-2006, 11:17 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most engines only have a high speed needle and either a low speed needle or air bleed. The ST engines have carbs that have the high speed needle, low speed needle, AND A MID-RANGE ADJUSTMENT. This allows much finer adjustment than most engines, so the ST works very well.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I have had a total of 3 2 st90's and opne st75. The st75 and one 90 from Italy and one of the new 90's. All ran perfect for me. For the price I dont think they can be beat. I bought the 2 italian made ones used but in good shape here in the marketplace for 150 and then the new one from tower on sale for 105. So for 255 I have had a total of 3 75 or 90 engines without a single problem from any of them. Thats a pretty good deal in my book!

Also they run great on 5%. I tried 15% on one of the 90's and it didnt run as well. I had a few deadsticks with it. Switched back to 5% and its back to purring. The ST to me also have a distinct sound.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:21 AM
HighPlains

The ST to me also have a distinct sound.
Are you referring to the ST gurgle when you throttle down in the air? I love that sound!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:47 PM
BillS

Nothing wrong with the engine but the muffler is just plain UGLY.

Bill
Old 04-18-2006, 04:28 PM
nickj

Very happy with my STs. The break-in period is long, a gallon or two of fuel, just keep it rich for awhile. They might be a little heavy, but they do seem to last forever.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto, I've had many ST engines from the 45R/C to the 3000.

I've had more 90 K and G engines than any other ST engines and these are great. The 90G is the replacement for the K model and the visual difference is the K model has a removable crank shaft housing.

I've had a couple of great running 90K engines but theres nothing wrong with the G models either.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:49 PM
jim.thornton

Well... It seems as though the verdict is in.

As I mentioned, I am not an engine expert and as a matter of fact I am very inexperienced at engines. I guess a better statement would have been to say that if you lack experience with engines (as I do) then you may want to get an engine that doesn't have as many settings (as HighPlains said) with 3 different needles to adjust.

I do agree that every company produces the odd lemon.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They don't have 3 needles, just the 2 any other 2 needle carb has.

What they do have extra, is the possibility to rotate the spraybar. It is said to be the solution to part of the rich midrange problem most two strokes suffer from...
I messed with it a couple of times, but I eventually found that I was better off just playing with fuel, plugs and needle settings...

My old S90K is one of my all time favorite engines: it swings a 15x6 quite happily, and it is about as reliable as they come. It needs a new conrod though... anyone know where I can get one...?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Gringo Flyer

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Well... It seems as though the verdict is in.

As I mentioned, I am not an engine expert and as a matter of fact I am very inexperienced at engines. I guess a better statement would have been to say that if you lack experience with engines (as I do) then you may want to get an engine that doesn't have as many settings (as HighPlains said) with 3 different needles to adjust.

I do agree that every company produces the odd lemon.
Jim,

I wouldnt say that this engine is any more difficult to setup as any other engine. Just be sure to follow the directions that came with the engine and give it a good breakin period. Its not more complicated at all... maybe just a little more time consuming with the break in. Once setup I hardly have to touch the engines... they run like champs. Just err on the side of keeping the engine rich and you will be fine. ALso, as with any engine its always better if someone with more experience helps you out at first.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Gringo Flyer

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Are you referring to the ST gurgle when you throttle down in the air? I love that sound!
Thats it!

I can pick out a ST engine on a plane while its in flight. Especially the 60 and up size.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Carlos Murphy

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

Thats it!

I can pick out a ST engine on a plane while its in flight. Especially the 60 and up size.
EEEEEEeeeeeeeeaaaaaaa ding da ding ding da da ding ding da ding da ding ding da ding [
Old 04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
sdunan

In my opinio, and I have two ST 90 engines, the engine is fine but the muffler is just plain junk. The internal baffle is not secured in the muffler and comes loose after three or four flights.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Carlos Murphy

ORIGINAL: sdunan

In my opinio, and I have two ST 90 engines, the engine is fine but the muffler is just plain junk. The internal baffle is not secured in the muffler and comes loose after three or four flights.
sdunan,

The VERY FIRST thing you do with any stock 2-stroke muffler is to "remove the baffle"!!!
You will gain power and a few hundred RPM with very little increase in noise.
None of MY S.T. 90's had a baffle that I know of, the mufflers were not "serviceable".
OS, Thunder Tiger and others DO have mufflers you can take apart.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:47 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

So says the guy who put glass-packs on his Astro van!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:24 PM
HighPlains

Astro van???? Noooooo.

Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, Quad seating, all White exterior - cool in the summer heat.

On the ST engines, they run really well with a tuned muffler from either Performance Specialities or Jett Engineering. Easy way to pick up 1500 rpm and about 25-30% more power.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
jim.thornton

ORIGINAL: Carlos Murphy

The VERY FIRST thing you do with any stock 2-stroke muffler is to "remove the baffle"!!!
You will gain power and a few hundred RPM with very little increase in noise.

What is the baffle?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Carlos Murphy

Most mufflers of the two piece kind have a locknut on the back end, remove the locknut and carefully unscrew the long screw that holds the back of the muffler too the front, be sure to use a "proper" fitting screwdriver.

Inside you'll find a cone shaped disc (baffle) and toss it, re-assemble with red hi temp silicone seal where the two halves join but before snuging down (do not over tighten) the screw, adjust the angle of the exhaust outlet to where you want the exhaust to go. Blue Loc-Tite the locknut in place. Also use the hi temp seal when mounting the muffler to the engine and use a little Loc-Tite on the mounting screws too.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Rod Bender

I've owned nothing BUT Super Tigre engines, and have just bought a new one last month. They have always ran great for me, never a problem, lots of power. After proper break in, 15% always ran great for me. Was out yesterday with an old ST that had not been flown in 10yrs on a plane that is over 25yrs old. It took 3 take offs and landings before I had the high speed setting perfect, and the rest of the day was spent trying to tear the wings off the plane!!! These engines are awesome!!!! I love em, and for any 2 stroke set up, is the ONLY engine I look for using. In regards to their mufflers...... Buy the Slimline Pitts muffler and your set, more power, and an even better sound............. Greg
Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 AM
jim.thornton

Thanks for the explanation on the baffle.

I do have a question for all the ST fans in here. It seems as though everyone is saying that they are the best engines made. However, the one common remark is that they are very reliable "after the long break in". Why would someone want to buy an engine which is more work to setup and configure the right settings and unreliable during this process? I mean, after all using an unreliable engine during the break in is definitely increasing risk as you increase your chances of a dead stick.

Why wouldn't someone just go with something like an OS which seems to be a more "out of the box and go" type of engine? I even had a thunder tiger as my first engine at that thing ran great (until it took a nose dive into a local farmers field).

Just curious?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.