Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How do you clean a grinding wheel ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How do you clean a grinding wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 02:43 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you clean a grinding wheel ?

I had to modify a TrueTurn aluminum spinner to accept some more prop choices. Now my grinding wheel is caked with aluminum.

Isn't there a trick to clean this off ?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:18 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How do you clean a grinding wheel ?

usually there is a square dressing stone that is harder than the grinding whell that you run the grinding wheel against to true it up or remove material,lacking that maybe a mild acid to eat the aluminum.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:20 PM
carrellh

It's possible that grinding a little steel will work. If not, you'll just have to replace the bit. For future aluminum work, try the sanding drums or the metal rotary file bits rather than the stones. If the sanding drum clogs you toss it. The metal rotary files should clean out with a wire brush or the point of a t-pin.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes, using an old crepe rubber shoe sole against the wheel will unload a lot of the trapped aluminum. Now you know, never use a grinding wheel on aluminum.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:16 PM
dicknadine

Go to the hardwaare store and ask for a grinding wheel dresser. its full of litle star like metal spacers on a metal handle.. when you start to use it --- go easy- slow, as it will work real fast. ---ask for instructions.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:52 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get an old chunk of steel and start grinding on it. The wheel will clean itself after getting hot enough that the aluminum residue in it starts to melt and gets carried off with the steel filings. Might take a while, but it's cheap.

You can grind aluminum, but you have to do it in small "spurts", not letting the aluminum get hot enough to melt and embed itself in the grinding stone. As said above, it's better to cut the aluminum away with a rotary cutter.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:15 AM
APIA

Grinding aluminum on a grinding wheel is a NO NO. This will put the wheel out of balance and they DO come apart, it is not pretty, saw it happen. Be safe and toss the wheel, they are too inexpensive to take a chance at an explosive disassembly...
Old 06-18-2006, 09:18 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

I've found that while grinding aftermarket aluminum intake manifolds with a high speed air die-grinder, spraying the grinding stone and work area with WD 40 frequently will help prevent clogging of aluminum. Try it out next time.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crisco or Kerosene are the best lube for grinding aluminum. For your application gobs of Crisco is the cheapes/easiest option. I always get hungry when I use it tho cause the shop starts to smell like a bakery. You will need to dress the wheel to clean and tru it after it gets loaded up.