Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Flight stabilizers

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flight stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:43 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flight stabilizers

Geepers, I got one aircraft (a tri-gear with a shorter nose leg causing it to aim down when at rest) which essentially Smacks the Ground at touchdown time. Once power is cut, it drops like a rock. One flight, one fix, repeat. It drops in from about ten feet up, and then bends the gear, ground looping, but oddly never touching a wing tip. This is a 40 year oldie aerobatic competition model, and never was stable when designed.

I have a friend with a second-hand flight stabilizer, of the FMA variety. He says to install it, try it, and then see what I think of it. I am not too happy to bore holes in the fuselage at this point. So overall am hesitant.

But can I use it for somewhat hotter landings, where I can get it inches off the deck, still under power, and then let the stabilizer take over and and save me from some repairs? Or am I dreaming?

Any flight experiences as to landing ability with this system. Or does it get confused at landing time?

Wm.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:55 AM
alan0899

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flight stabilizers

G'day Mate,
IMHO forget stabilizers.
Put a larger nose wheel on it, to bring the nose closer to level, move balance point back so it won't drop the nose so much when power is reduced, flight tests will tell how far to move it back.
Does it take a lot of down elevator to maintain inverted flight? more than 1/4" stick travel, if so it is nose heavy.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Skip the stabilizer.

Use a bigger nose wheel, or get a new (longer) nose gear strut
Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with most of the above: Get a longer nose strut first then if you have to get a bigger nose wheel. THEN :: trim the plane at 1/2 throttle to fly hands off straight and level and see if that takes care of some of your problems.
ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The model is designed for retracts. Thus consideration of increasing tire size is out, for that would klobber the L.E. for the wing and cause other problems. I have not used the retract gear yet, because their position does not lend itself to controls yet. If I can get the A/C to survive a bit longer, they will be working, but for now, looks as if the model can only be flown by some Hot-shot. Which I am not.

Wm.