Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cowl/Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl/Paint

Here goes,
I'm ready to paint this abs cowl on the Ultra Sport Plus.The cowl is somewhat better quality than some I've seen.

I had an old cowl from a Cloud Dancer ARF thin,greasy and well used. I had some 24 kar gold paint in a spray can that I'd had for some time (Champion brand enamel) and I wanted to check the color match as my U/S is going to be gold with red trim. The color match was more than perfect,blended rite in..

Before I painted the cowl,I cleaned it with fantastic,then alcohol and sanded it till it was dull,then cleaned it with alcohol again and let it dry good. I put a couple of coats of the gold paint on it.No primer at all..Let it dry overnite.
I thought I'd better give the paint job some testing so I poured 10% fuel on it for an overnite soak.Got up the next morning and cleaned the fuel off of it with fantastic.Still lookin good..Then I poured alcohol on it and let it evaporate..STill there.Bent the cowl to see if it would crack..No cracks at all.

What I'm getting to,is would I be safe in painting this new cowl for the U/S with the same procedure.Seemed to work fine before...Reason is,I'v heard you have to prime it first but I didn't and it worked perfectly. What yall think? Did I just luck out with one cowl or should I do the same thing again. Thanx a bunch...Walt
Old 02-28-2003, 03:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cowl/Paint

If you go throught that same proceedure, you don't reall HAVE to prime it. Personally, I rarely use primer.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:25 PM
bignasdy-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl/Paint

ditto