Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CG question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:44 PM
draftman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG question

if the nose is way to heavy, is that not good either? should the plane just tip forward a bit and not fall nose forward off of balance point?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:59 PM
flipstart

Default RE: CG question

On center of balance point, plane should just tip forward - at least that is what I do for the first flight, then adjust according to how the plane flies. High wing balances right side up, low wing upside down. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Villa

You are talking about a relative condition. All things being equal, it is safer for a novice to have the plane a little nose heavy. If you go too far with that, you may run out of up elevator during a landing and hit hard. If it is very nose heavy you may snap roll during takeoff, especially if you have increased the elevator authority. Too much elevator authority can lead to a high speed stall, perhapse during a climbing turn. All of these things are variables. Can you be more specific with your question, and provide more information?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Vintage

The aircraft falling on its nose after landing does not necessarily mean that the aircraft is nose heavy. The CG point to be concerned with is for flying. Once you get the CG correct for flying, then you can bend the landing gear for landings. Of course bending the landing gear will affect the CG, so the CG has to be adjusted along with the landing gear. Get the CG correct for flying and then set the aircraft down on its landing gear. If it is a tail dragger, yoiu should be able to raise the tail above level, release, and the tail should return to the ground. If it does not, then bend the main landing gear forward. Recheck the CG. If you have trike gear. adjust the CG, set the aircraft down on its landing gear, than push the tail to the graound and release. The nose should return to the ground.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
draftman1

the plane is a low wing, taildragger, SPAD. the engine is a supertiger 40. it is heavier than an os. so I should check CG with the plane upside down right? I checked it normal and it wanted to fall, nose first. I will check it upside down next and will add a little weight so that it tips slightly forward, thanks guys
Old 01-06-2008, 01:36 AM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

can you move your landing gear forward?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 AM
draftman1

setting on th ground, it its good, i just need a little weight in the tail