Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

dope clearcote questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

dope clearcote questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 AM
pilotman520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dope clearcote questions

Hi all,

Just finished putting the last color coats on and was wondering how long I should wait to clearcote it. It is sig koverall and sig dope. What a process!!!!! I will be glad when its finally done. This was my first try and I am pretty satisfied with the results. I know they will be better next time but I surely don't want to mess it up tight at the end. Also is there any tips for spraying clear or is it like everything else.

Thanks
Pilotman
Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dope clearcote questions

Yes, it is quite a process, but you will have a finish that nothing else can provide.

You do not need to wait. I am assuming that the clear coat is clear dope.

Les
Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dope clearcote questions

ORIGINAL: pilotman520
Also is there any tips for spraying clear or is it like everything else.

Thanks
Pilotman
Good work! I don't think anything is as time consuming as a dope and fabric finish, but nothing else looks as good either. Super tough and durable as well.

For clear the only thing to note is that you can spray the final couple of coats very heavily reduced with thinner (3:1 or 4:1 even) for a wicked glossy shine. If you are looking for more of a fabric weave finish, you can ignore this advice.

Post some pics when you are done, for those who think film is the ultimate and have no idea what fabric and dope are all about.

Mark