Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Prop adapter question?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Prop adapter question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:25 PM
tyrick69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop adapter question?

Hey Guys,
Relatively new to this so this may sound like a stupid question but I just had to replace the prop on my mini pulse due to a crash and the new prop rubs the cowl a little bit. I'm wondering if the collet type prop adapters have to be seated all the way against the motor or if it's okay to move it out a little before tightening the prop to keep the prop from rubbing the cowl?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Prop adapter question?

As long as the adaptor has a good solid grip on the shaft, I see no problem with sliding it out just a bit, so long as you watch out for a couple of things...
Many motor shafts have a flat spot ground into them for the set screw on the adaptor. If you pull the adaptor out past the flat spot, it might not be able to get a good grip. Also, make sure there is plenty of shaft inside the adaptor, so that the prop cant wobble.
Sounds like you wont have to slide it far though, so you should be fine.

Edit to add: Since this was after a crash (and Im assuming the motor is an outrunner) make sure that the motor shaft itself didnt slide back inside the motor.... My Dad had a bad habit of doing that with his Trojan.....
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
tyrick69

Default RE: Prop adapter question?

Thanks for the reply. I'm switching from a 10x7 slow fly to a 10x8e prop and the 10x8e just doesn't have as much clearance. i only need to move it a little bit and it seems that the collet adapter still has plenty of shaft to bite. I just wanted to make sure.
Thanks again.