Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Thinning Balsarite

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Thinning Balsarite

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 09:10 PM
TTsboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinning Balsarite

I know a segment of the RC world doesn't like this product, but, I am relatively new to this game and have a can of it. Not one to throw anything aside that may have an application, I plan to use it on my trainer. My problem is that it seems very thick and should be thinned. I haven't been able to find any info on what I can thin it with. Any suggestions on this or the best replacement for Balsarite would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:18 PM
Dzlstunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acetone. Thin and stir until it is brushable (not lumpy).
Old 03-18-2002, 12:39 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I'm not an expert, but yesterday, I was with a club member who has built some of the finest looking airplanes I've ever seen.

The purpose was to teach me how to cover a plane in Monocote. He spent 4 - 1/2 hours showing me how to do a wing and the stab. The point is he uses a very thin Balsarite. He had me paint it wherever we were going to cover. It went on very thin. It raises the grain of the wood. He then had me sand it off with 600 grit paper held by hand. Came out with a very smooth finish. He said I could thin it with reducer, acetone or Ironex. All I can say is the finished product looks truely professional! I'm going to continue to use Balsarite.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:58 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The funniest thing is, in an older post I read, Tower is having a problem stocking it. Seems like there might be some carcenoginic compounds in it so it may be pulled off the market!