Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why a Larger Size Plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why a Larger Size Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why a Larger Size Plane?

It seems to me that larger airplanes are more common than 5, 10, 30 years ago. I wonder what is driving this. Why a larger plane? We fly at the same size field as before; we still stand at one spot and fly the plane by being able to see it. I am very happy with .46 size planes. Wing spans from 42†to 71†with weights from 4.5# to about 7.5#s. The vehicle I have always used to get to the flying field has always been a compact car. When looking for a new car for myself, I always make certain that my planes and equipment will fit. I consider a .61 2c engine a large engine. I had two of them and that is the largest I ever had. When I noticed they used 2 times the fuel than my OS46FX engines I decided to get rid of them. What is there about a large plane that makes them desirable to some people? Sure, we are all different (but in a similar way) and have different viewpoints. To me a large plane is nothing but problems. I see no plus side to it. When I see props of 20+ inches in diameter I am, frankly, scared of them. I once saw a 40 size plane go out of control and hit a man in the head. He dropped like a rock. I made a point of not learning more about it. Imagine a plane with a 28†prop doing the same thing? A new member at my club in Pennsylvania, an old timer, became infatuated with a large gasoline engine, before he even flew a trainer. He put about a 20†prop on it, bolted it to a firm board, and tied everything to a concrete cinder block. He started the engine and it went to full throttle, dragged the cinder block toward him, and put him in the hospital. He was butchered. He dropped out of our club. Frankly, I am not comfortable being at our field with large planes of the size I have described. They are nice to watch flying, but I wish I was inside a brick building watching. It seems to me that the large planes, because most use gasoline, can more easily start a fire in a crash, and if they have hit a building, destroy it. If that happens at your field, what are the chances of your club keeping their field? I have a ball flying my 40 size planes. I can get two in my car and in a pinch, even three.
This is by no means a criticism of large planes. Fly whatever you want.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Why a Larger Size Plane?

I fly a lot of 40 size planes and one of my friends has 60 as the smallest the other has several 125's but he also has 45cc gas .
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The story line is that they're easier to fly. You'll hear that line in the majority of sales pitches when a larger model fanboy is telling you why you ought to be flying one of them suckers.

And it's true.

And to those who're looking for something that'll make 'em look better, and worry them less, that pitch sells.

They're easier to fly.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

seen Waaaaay more glow planes fly into buildings than gas....

and

Small airplanes flit... big airplanes fly!

That being said... I fly a 4oz indoor F3P foamy and a right at 40Lb 40% Extra... sometimes in the same day,,, and love them all!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I fly mostly 90 to 120 sized planes and do have a few 40s as well. I think the 90 sized planes fly much better. Although the 40s are great too.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just different strokes for different folks. I will fly just about anything in any size. My main planes are the 60 size but over the years I have built and flown a number of giants and enjoy them too. Because of transport my 60 size planes get the most air time. Today I took two planes with me to the field, A 30% Extra and a CG 60 size Extra. They both fly the same but I can see the big one better. The big one is smoother and a bit more stable but not enough to mater much. I went through a half gallon of fuel with both of them today, that's about $1.25 in gas and $7.50 in fuel. I had a van full of support gear to fly the little 60 size plane, I just needed a can of gas for the big one. A persom could go on and on with the why's of it all. If a big plane and a big prop frightens you then you are correct in not going bigger. I like them all, I have never tried to figure out why, I just do.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense here Villa, but I wonder what a criticism of large planes would sound like. To each their own I guess, I wouldn't want to stick my hand through the prop on my OS75AX anymore than I would a gasser. Outcome is still going to be the same. It's like asking the car guy why he wants to drive a 400hp beast as compared to a Saturn. Because they can, that's what gets the adrenaline flowing. If you're scared of it, yes - stay away. Fear can lead to a healthy respect for whatever you are into (think table saw) but uncontrolled fear leads to disaster.

As far as the old timer being chased by a cinder block - bad analogy. It's probably good he dropped out because with behaviour like that, your field may have been the one on the chopping block. No excuse for stupidty. Hope he turned out OK, no one wants to hear about anyone getting hurt, but that just has dumb written all over it.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer your question. Frankly, it doesn't sound much like a question to me in the first place. Too much "butchered", "scared", "destroy", "fire" and the like going on here. Enjoy what you like, I'm looking forward to my 40% something someday.

Regards,
Dan
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Gray Beard

I can't get a 40% fuse in my van without having it sit on my nice leather seats or I would have had one. I would be more then happy to fly yours for you Dan!!! I even like the 40s bettern them my 30.
I used to like to fly IMAA events too and small planes just aren't allowed.
And if you have to ask then it's not for you!!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry a 40 size plane will punch through a car door. When I was a kid we lost our first field because a 40 size trainer went into a 2 story apartment roof and recovered on the first floor; punched through the roof and second floor. The problem with big planes is that it represents the "I have arrived" modeler, but more than not they dont have the talent to fly them like they want, so they can be a little scary. I see a lot of guys who can buy the planes end up with local hot shoe doing 3D and when the owner flies it is like he is flying trainer because he is too scared to crash it. Those are the guys I am scared off.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 PM
ChuckW

You can just as easily get hurt, hurt someone else or do damage with a small plane. Even a park flyer can be dangerous in the hands of an idiot. If you are nervous when someone is in the air, it is the pilot flying it thats the problem, not the airplane.

I have everything from little foamies to 25% airplanes. Everything from brushless motors, to glow to larger gasoline engines. All are great fun but I can tell you hands down that the larger planes are my favorites.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

In the early 1980's, I flew .051 to 25 size. In the 1990's I flew mostly 25 to 60 size. Now I have only 60 size planes. And I fly some of the smallest airplanes at our club. Most guys are flying 30lbs models with DA100's or 150's.

The larger planes do fly very nicely. And now all the stuff needed is off the shelf. I think 15 years ago, much of the giant scale stuff was a little harder to find and just didn't have the customer support that it does now or the competitive pricing.

So far I have resisted going giant. If I buy just one giant Hellcat I just know the house will be full of giant warbirds and the next thing you know I will have a $30k fleet. I've been able to be happy flying $700 to $800 airplanes up til now and I intend to buy just as much as needed to thrill me and no more. Seems like alot of guys in this hobby go straight to the heroin, burn out, and then move on to strippers and Corvettes in just a few years, ( or other hobbies).

The key to longevity in RC is to save something for later. Leave room to grow if the thrill seeps out. Lotta folks don't pace themselves.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I fly larger planes because I like to fly large planes. I also fly 25 size and under plus a couple of foamies.

The danger from the larger ones is no greater than the 46 size mostly due to the fact that the large scale pilots do not let the old "familiarity breeds contempt"way of operating get too far into their flying and operating practices.
Those that try to use economy,safety and on and on usually have an agenda that is directed toward something other than the size of the airplane. We have pilots in the area ranging from 11 years to over 75 flying 100/150 cc planes with no drama. We also have some pilots that are scary flying anything.
Take a look at my gallery pictures to see a cross section of my planes.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Live Wire

For 24 years we have flown at the same site, small planes and no problems, Well now large planes and more noise and no place to fly Now what do you do to find a new sight with a complaint filed with the local fathers[:@] These sucker really sound off and get attention.

I forgot that the person filing the complaint built a house just off the end of our runway
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Gray Beard

I have seen money come up a lot when people are talking giant scale planes. Here are two of mine, I have 10 bucks into the60 size Hots and zero into the Extra. Ten bucks for the kit at auction, I had all the other gear needed to assemble on hand from years past, even the covering. The Extra is 30%, money zero. The plane was a gift from a friend getting out of the hobby, the engine was picked up in a trade deal, a G-62 for 4 old servos, good JR servos but old. A complete 95 inch Decathlon also came in the trade, I gave that plane away. All the rest of the stuff was in my shop doing nothing so it found a home in the Extra. I have piles of gear and engines under the bench I have gotten over the years in trades. I used to build for people and felt bad taking money sometimes but I always needed STUFF. You don't need money to build or fly big.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48904.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1155009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97448.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1155010  
Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It would take $100 Of Monokote to cover that red and white plane
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 AM
da Rock

A newbie in one of my clubs was coming along nicely. He has the right attitude and his flying was coming along nicely.

One member who flies big planes caught his ear and convinced him to build a biggie. He took that advice and basically stopped his development almost dead in it's tracks. The money he sunk into that big thing would have bought him a bunch of experience that he hasn't gotten. The time it's taken him to get the biggie built has put almost everything else on hold. Right now, he's no further along than he was a month or so after he started in the hobby. The reason? The bigger ones might be easier to fly, but you gotta fly to learn. And he won't even fly the sucker now. Why? Too much invested. Time and money.

Big ones aren't for everyone. And them being easier to fly as their major reason to be...... The people who need that usually don't fly their big ones any better or safer. But often fly less. Which we all benefit from.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Villa

Thanks for the informative comments.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am part of the Baby Boomer generation, like some who have already commented. We are getting older and our vision (mine at least) is getting junker, so my planes have grown over the years so I can see them well and fly them safely. Yeah, I update my glasses every few years too, so I can see long distance fine. We are probably getting more affluent with age too, and can afford the bigger planes and all that goes with them, including the transportation. The Baby Boomers are determining the trends in many facets of our lives now, including RC. That said, I still fly one .25 size plane and others all the way to 120FS, with a couple 50cc ARFS waiting in line to be built. I like the small one, but prefer 60"-80" just cuz they are easier to see, and it's more fun to hold a fat fuselage, haha. Along with the 50cc planes, I have a 69" Yak and the new 55" GP Extra waiting on me for assembly. With smaller planes I just have to fly a smaller pattern. It's all for the sake of fun, and being safe at it.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The answer is that they are readily available for who ever pays!! When I started flying R/C in 1975 you had to build every plane your self!
Today all ARF planes are so cheap (and well built) that anyone can get one. And as the saying goes: Bigger is better! ( No not always).
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM
ChuckW

Fly whatever you want whether it is big, small, electric, glow, gas, turbine or whatever it happens to be. Just keep it safe and have fun. That's what it is all about.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I thought I was having fun flying .40 size planes, until I started flying my 1.20 size planes

Whatever floats your boat, or lifts your wings...
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I like larger planes because they can be flown higher & farther out, and they are more stable in wind. Secondary to those reasons, they also typically have larger, louder, more powerful engines, and they just sound cooler! [8D]

The down side to the larger planes: they are usually more expensive (high torque servos, larger engines, more expensive airframe, burn more fuel, etc.), and they are more difficult to transport and store.

I loved my Twist 150 (may she RIP) for the reasons stated above, but my Twist 60 and my other .40 size planes are easier to lug around and fly off of smaller fields.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been flying these things for around 45 years now, and moved from glow to gas around 15 years ago. I have not even owned a glow plane in the last 7 years or so because the pure fun factor of flying a giant scale over glow is just worlds apart. Do they cost more; yes, are they a pain in the ass to haul around and setup; yes, do they fly better; yes, are they easier to fly; yes, do they make more noise than a glow powered aircraft; they can easily be setup to make less noise than a glow engine, are they more dangerous to fly; no, not at all, any airplane large or small in the hands of an idiot is an accident looking for a place to happen; size has nothing to do with it.

If you have a loose cannon at the feilds you fly at; then I would suggest in the best interest of your clubs; reel the rebel in, and make him understand what could happen to your flying site. Now keep in mind that just because a pilot is into 3D flying; that does not make him a rebel that is reckless...

Bob
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 AM
beepee

My simple answers and sorry for repeating some above ...
- Easier to see.
- Easier to fly.
- Easier to rig up (fitting my hands into the fuselage).
- Runs MUCH cheaper gasoline.
- Adds a touch more distance between my hobby activity and the toys available at WalMart.
- Crash results more realistic (did anybody bring a plastic bag?).

I fly the big ones because they are more fun for me, period.

Bedford
Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Villa

Some people like to state "Every model has an expiration date". I have never agreed with that. As a result of having initiated this post, I have been thinking about my many crashes. Now I believe that statement is true in my case. I have many more that 100 crashes since I have been flying R/C since 1972. I have not even come close to crashing into a person, but I have accidentally flown close to people, sometimes not under full control. I did crash into a building once, and landed on another building. I have seen planes crash within inches of people, and as I stated in my original post, I did see one person get hit on the head by about a .60 size plane. It really makes one think of the consequences. I have intentionally dived my plane into the ground when it came toward the pits and I was uncertain I could safely recover it. I believe I have done that 2-3 times. I was able to do this, I believe, because I had previously decided that if things got real bad I WOULD crash into the ground to make the plane safe. I have no problem totaling my plane if it is a danger. I hope that others have thought about that kind of situation and are willing to do the same, big plane or little plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.