RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why a Larger Size Plane?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why a Larger Size Plane?

In the early 1980's, I flew .051 to 25 size. In the 1990's I flew mostly 25 to 60 size. Now I have only 60 size planes. And I fly some of the smallest airplanes at our club. Most guys are flying 30lbs models with DA100's or 150's.

The larger planes do fly very nicely. And now all the stuff needed is off the shelf. I think 15 years ago, much of the giant scale stuff was a little harder to find and just didn't have the customer support that it does now or the competitive pricing.

So far I have resisted going giant. If I buy just one giant Hellcat I just know the house will be full of giant warbirds and the next thing you know I will have a $30k fleet. I've been able to be happy flying $700 to $800 airplanes up til now and I intend to buy just as much as needed to thrill me and no more. Seems like alot of guys in this hobby go straight to the heroin, burn out, and then move on to strippers and Corvettes in just a few years, ( or other hobbies).

The key to longevity in RC is to save something for later. Leave room to grow if the thrill seeps out. Lotta folks don't pace themselves.