Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need Recommendation for Small Bipe

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need Recommendation for Small Bipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 04:08 PM
kadamstex
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Recommendation for Small Bipe

I'm trying to find a small biplane to build and am looking for recommendations. Needs to be for a smaller engine; no bigger than a .40 and I would prefer something for a .20 to .40 size 4-stroke. I am looking for a mellow plane that flies like a Big John or a Lazy Ace. Does anyone know of a plane that might fit the bill. It does not have to be a kit. I usually build from plans.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 03-24-2002, 04:36 PM
cmitch232-DELETE
My Feedback: (1)

Ace use to make an airplane called a 4-40 Biplane. It was my first biplane and it's very easy to fly. I would highly recommend it but since Ace has been bought by someone, I'm not sure it's still available. Maybe someone has a kit or the plans.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:01 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Hobby People has their Global D-VII on sale for $166. A frien has one and it is a sweet flyer that looks great, especially with the wire wheels. He flies it with a Magnum .52FS. I think they also have their Ultimate on sale. Their .30 sized Waco is also.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:58 PM
kadamstex
My Feedback: (2)

The ACE 4-40 Bipe is one I hadn't thought of. Actually, I didn't remember there being a 40 size bipe. I remember the 4-60 and the 4-120. Not very pretty planes, but they were very easy to bash and they flew great. Does anyone know the size of the plane (wingspan, length, wing area)? What type of airfoil did they have?

MrMulligan, thanks for the reply, but I don't do ARFs (at least I think those are ARFs, but I'm a bit out of touch with the current offerings).
Old 03-25-2002, 01:02 AM
cmitch232-DELETE

You're right. There were several sizes and they were very easy to bash without losing it's great flying characteristics. It was my first bipe and it holds a fond spot in my flight experience. I don't remember the stats on it.

Maybe if you post in the wanted section, you might find a kit or a set of plans.

Glad to be of help.

Keep 'em flyin'

cmitch232
Old 03-25-2002, 08:24 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

Gee Bee Tiger Moth, Mellow, Small and reasonably priced.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:52 PM
silvercloud-RCU

I just finished a phaeton 2 it is suppose to fly however you want to gentle or wild I also have a 4-40 bipe and it is an easy flyer and the wing is semi symetrical on both I also have the 4-60 in the box yet maybe i'll build it later this year .The phaeton 2 is still avalible from balsa usa and it was very simple to put together and is very sturdy can't wait for some decent weather to try it out