Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Evolution Trainer runs poor

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Evolution Trainer runs poor

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:08 AM
jamiebravo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evolution Trainer runs poor

I have an evolution trainer engine that I can not get to run correctly. When i idle the engine for a approach then try to throttle up the engine it will die. I have adjusted it every which way and am at a loss, any ideas on how to adjust it? has anyone else had similar problems?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Evolution Trainer runs poor

Remove the blue collar from the low end adjustment.

Open the carb barrel 1mm

Close the low end needle and open it 1 1/5 (One and one fifth) turns.

Replace the collar so the adjustment lever is centered and try it again

Old 05-23-2009, 09:01 AM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one that ran great. Just keep trying once you do find the sweet spot it should run great. I had a sixty size on one time that had a hole in the case somewhere it stayed dirty, but I did not realize it had a hole. I thought it was just because it was on front of a stick. I sent it in and they sent me a new one. It would stop at anytime in flight. This all developed after I had it about a year. Is it dirty even after you clean it. This may be a problem with yours if so.

Good luck

Alan

Old 05-23-2009, 11:21 AM
jamiebravo

Adjusted the low end to 1 1/5 turns and ended up at about alittle less than one full turn. Taxied around the cul de sac and ran it up to speed no problem.  It did die on me again after letting it idle and running it up to speed a few times, but my glow igniter is dead.  I have an #8 plug in it and was running a #3 any suggestions on plugs?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 AM
wtb3886

Your High Speed &Low Speed Needle need to be set back to zerofor proper operation.

Close your Low Speed Needle valve all the way closed, then close your high speed needle valve all the way.

Take a small piece of fuel tubing and connect it to your carberator, blow into it and listen while you slowly open the low speed needle valve, when you hear air passing through your carb stop opening your low speed needle valve, (This is your starting point for calibrating) or setting both your high speed and low speed needle valves.

Turn your high speed needle valve open approx. 2 full turns and attempt to start your engine. (open high speed needle if it doesn't start, just a few clicks)

When your engine fires up, you are ready to check your low speed needle, pinch your fuel line and listen, does your engine gently rev up or down just before stopping. If it gently revs up then dies, your ok, if it dies right away your too lean, (lean is turn in, rich is turn out).

Now check your high speed needle setting, have someone hold the plane while you give it full power, have them lift the nose of your airplane up, the same attitude as a take off. Listen to your engine, if it is running good, pinch the fuel line fora second and listen, does the engine slightly rev up, or die right away.

Now recheck your low speed needle setting using the pinch method, then reverify your high speed needle until your confident that when this airplane lifts off that the engine will run without any hesitations.

You may have to play around with different glow plugs if the above does not work, I have found that using one with an idel bar helps to over come engine sputtering.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 AM
jamiebravo

Thanks for the help!  I have instructions but they did not go into detail, just adjust to your preference.  I heard hotter plugs work best in this engine. I will try one with an idle bar.  It starts great but the transition from low to high rpm gets me once in a while after a long idle period.  It seems to happen more when I have half a tank or so, like the back pressure is not there.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 AM
andrew66

go with an OS #8 plug.  Its probably the best starting point for any small 2 stroke.  If it wont run 100% with that plug, then start trying others.  I have a webra 40 running 5% fuel, and with a #8 plug it runs great
Old 05-24-2009, 06:00 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try completly flushing the fuel system.  Remove the high speed needle valve and pump fuel through the tank ( pump through the muffler pressure line )  and out the needle valve hole, then put the needle valve back in so it is just in.  Open the carb (throttle ) and flush again. Replace the needle valve ( turn in till it touches the bottom then turn out 1 1/2 turn )  start engine and adjust as needed.

Be sure to keep everything clean and wipe the needle valve clean before putting it back in.                                            Good Luck    ENJOY   !!!   RED